• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making Nuts and Bolts

Dave Diaz

Hello Everyone!

I decided to post the threads I had made for the tips and trick section on the old forum since I thought they may be useful. As always any comments or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Dave's Trick # 1

In this thread I will discuss some methods of making your own nuts & bolts. This simple methods will save you time and frustration when scratch building or when adding those missing details to your kit.

All you really need is some round and hexagonal plastic rods of different sizes. These are available at hobby stores or online.

1plastic.jpg

Simple Bolt Head

To make a simple bolt head just cut the hexagonal rod (I’m using a large size to illustrate it better). You can vary the thickness of the bolt by cutting thinner slices. This takes practice so don’t get too frustrated.

2.jpg

Then glue it in place.

3.jpg

Nut & Bolt

To make the nut & bolt end just cut a hexagonal piece like before then cut a round rod the desired length.

4.jpg

After that, glue the hexagonal part first (the nut) then the round piece (the bolt).

5.jpg

Washer & Bolt

To make a washer & bolt combination simply do the same but now in reverse. First cut a thin disc out of round rod and glue it. This will be your washer so the thinner the better.

6.jpg

Then cut a hexagonal piece of slightly smaller diameter, and glue it on top of the washer.

7.jpg

If they don’t look completely flat as sometimes is hard to cut at right angles wait until the glue dries and then you can file it or sand it flat.

Simple Flat Head Rivets

A simple way of making simple flat head rivets is using a leather puncher. This is a tool made for making holes in leather belts and stuff. You can buy it at craft stores and it works great on plastic.

8.jpg

First punch small discs using the smallest diameter available. The smallest I have seen is 2mm; this is rather big for most 1/35 vehicles, but it works good for structures or if you ever need a round disc this is an easy way to cut one.

9.jpg

Then glue the discs to represent a line of flat rivets.

10.jpg

That is all for this week. I hope these methods are helpful.

Model on!

Dave

Thanks for the tips Dave.

Just one more tip that might make it a little easier is to use a single edge razor blade for slicing the hex or rod. The narrower blade makes it just a little easier to get straight flat cuts.

Gary B)

You are welcome Gary...

...and you are totally right about the sharp blade. It also avoids the classic "piece of plastic been shoot across the room" syndrome. :laugh:

dave

Back