• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making a Flying Suitcase

No much progress today but it looks a bit better.

A Dremel is definitely your friend till it slings an engine across the room and ricochet off two walls

Thankfully nothing broke off :woohoo:

Hampden_engine_resto_002a.jpg

The left cowling is nearly ready for primer . It took a lot to restore the engravings . Next one tomorrow :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

Fine job Chris! :coolio

It's been long ago but I still remember very sharp pocket knives and Testor's tube glue :sick:

Cheer, Christian B)

Hey, I still use Testor's tube glue! It still has it's uses. I have moved on to Exacto knives though.

Way to go Phantom, it looks like you're beating this thing into submission.

Do you know what the origin of this kit was ? Matchbox maybe ?

I have an Airfix Hampton kit that I'm going to use as a parts source to fix one I built over 30 years ago, If you would like the clear parts to see if they fit any better than what you have you are more than welcome to them. Your adventures here prompted me to dig the old model out of storage along with a matchbox Whitley and a Heller Amiot 143, all relics of the past in need of a few new parts. I'm going to start a thread on the Hampton as soon as I can get so time to photograph it.

It's been long ago but I still remember very sharp pocket knives and Testor's tube glue :sick:

Cheer, Christian B)

Hey, I still use Testor's tube glue! It still has it's uses. I have moved on to Exacto knives though.

Way to go Phantom, it looks like you're beating this thing into submission.

Can't think of why I would need tube glue. Too many other things out now days that do the job faster. ( sorry )

Besides the old stuff kept turning hard in the tube.

I'm happy to say I now have several Xacto knives and no longer suffer from cuts .

Well Duke I'm just fighting local skirmishes for now before the real war :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Do you know what the origin of this kit was ? Matchbox maybe ?

I have an Airfix Hampton kit that I'm going to use as a parts source to fix one I built over 30 years ago, If you would like the clear parts to see if they fit any better than what you have you are more than welcome to them. Your adventures here prompted me to dig the old model out of storage along with a matchbox Whitley and a Heller Amiot 143, all relics of the past in need of a few new parts. I'm going to start a thread on the Hampton as soon as I can get so time to photograph it.

This kit has no history. It is new mold . I believe there is an old Hampton buried in the closet but I have not yet checked the glass on it for fit or actual condition.

I have a Whitley but I'm hoping that Airfix will release their new version so I can just disregard this one :rotf

I also have the Amiot but frankly I think that it will outlive me as there are so many more buildable kits in there.

Just hang on for now. I'll try to check soon but I'm sure I have seen an SBS on reshaping plastic ( :sick: ) somewhere :skipper . Just have not have to use it yet.

Did you say adventures in modeling ? :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

Amazing, I thought all Valom did was repops, learn something new every day. The Amiot was done in my younger days before I knew better. Although I have other Heller kits in the stash, that was the only one I ever built. It still makes my top ten list of the ugliest aircraft ever built. It's like they mounted wings on a dirigible gondola.

No much progress today but it looks a bit better.

A Dremel is definitely your friend till it slings an engine across the room and ricochet off two walls

Thankfully nothing broke off :woohoo:

Hampden_engine_resto_002a.jpg

The left cowling is nearly ready for primer . It took a lot to restore the engravings . Next one tomorrow :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

Fine job Chris! :coolio

Thanks Bob . Guess you know my twisted sense of humor though . I feel like a fine engraver with all the rivets. Just not as good :unsure:

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking good. Thought you might have to use crack spackel :rotf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCPhHezc-o

Seriously, it looks good.
James

While the cowlings and props dry I thought I would see what the hoopla was on the other end and this is what found.

First of all, having to cut and shape a block in which to place a tailwheel seems like poor engineering from their part.

Hampden_tailwheel_001a.jpg

Finding out that after carefully following their instruction I needed to still add more plastic than they specified is very annoying :vmad

Cheers, Christian B)

My amazement continues :sick: Wonder if this guy is the ex designer for the Supermodel Clog :zen .

The Valom transparencies are thick and the thickness of both sides is how much it is too wide ( no picture )

Therefore I dough out the Airfix Hampden . Only took seconds to remember why I stopped building them .

Hamp_transparencies_001a.jpg

airfix canopy . way too short vertically as well as the nose cone .

Hamp_transparencies_002a.jpg

To me, this Falcon version might fit when I trim it properly :idonno

WEll, it'll be interesting .No Christmas card for Valom
shoot.gif

Cheers,Christian B)

I have an Albermarle(?) that's got me stumped, canopy will fit one fuselage side, or the other, but not both at the same time.... :hmmm , which is a real shame as everything else fits not to bad, I'm sure there are more then a few unbuilt valom kits out there over canopy issues. Lookin good so far :skipper waiting to see how you get it all to fit.

Back