• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M3 General Lee

razordws

I think I have time to get this done before the deadline. The kit is really soft plastic with some heavy duty sized sprue gates so will require some careful clean up. Great detail though.

h0f78ad1.jpg

Well I think Luiz was on to something. This will definitely be a challenge. I kinda knew in the back of my mind that this was a short run kit but the ugly truth has revealed itself. There are 8 pieces to make up the basic lower and upper hulls. Getting all those pieces to line up wasn't too difficult but cleaning up all the joints with those rivets sticking everywhere is going to be a pain. Also, I wanted to use the long barrel option and one half of the barrel was short shot so had to glue in a piece of sprue and file it down. The short barrel (the kit gives you both options) wasn't much better. Anyway here is where I'm at. Top hull and gun are dry fitted in the first two photos and the last photo shows all the putty I have to clean up without destroying the rivets. Wish me luck.

h60bd1eb.jpg

hc43580b.jpg

h96a8ded.jpg

Quick update. Not much bench time lately but have a quiet weekend coming up so hope to move this along. I did take more in progress picks but lost them somehow. :idonno

h533b24b.jpg

h562bb17.jpg

Kit has some issues being a short run kit and all so just trying to do my best. Just has a light coat of OD to check the seams and the reason the one rear wheel isn't painted is because it got tweezerpulted into oblivion while I had the paint out. Spent an hour looking on the floor for it only to find it hiding in the middle of the bench. :smack

Not a lot of time and energy for the bench these days but trying to get this one done for the deadline. Didn't help that Jimmy Stewarts Strategic Air Command was on the Tv this morning.

The kit came with some PE for the grill and the headlight guards. There was also some for the interior of the doors but as there is no interior I didn't bother with those. The tracks were some strange kind of vinyl and I was worried after my last vinyl track experience from a trumpeter kit but these ones glued nicely with CA and look great. I need to paint those next.

h87c8d96.jpg

hbd2c828.jpg

h726b9aa.jpg

he1145e6.jpg

The decals were nice and thin but a couple of the stars are still a little wrinkly so need to work on those some more.

h1fbf1dc.jpg

hf72b2d1.jpg

Another update soon I hope

You snuck this under my radar! Looks good and I am familiar with Mirage Hobby, having visited them in Poland (they were a hobby shop first and located acros the street from the Fortress Army Museum in Warsaw.

At the stage you're at, you'll finish in time but...
giphy.gif

Regards,

Well since I haven't officially closed it I'm sure Saul will be ok with late finishes. Git'er done Dave, looks great! Really nice finish. (y)

Thanks guys. I appreciate you all stopping by.

Mike, the tracks just have too much :zen and won't be kept down. :D thanks for pointing that out though. I'll have to see if there is enough stretch to glue them down.

Well since I haven't officially closed it I'm sure Saul will be ok with late finishes. Git'er done Dave, looks great! Really nice finish. (y)

Not looking for a badge as I missed the deadline. Just happy to git'er done as you like to say. :good:

Back