• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

LRDG Chevy FINISHED

A wash will work for a desert scheme. I have seen builds that have used Panzer Grey, Burnt Sienna or Raw Umber more as a pin wash than overall so the base isn't darkened too much. Being a brush painter, I usually use dots filters to fade the paint, for the desert white and raw sienna. Highlights can be added with dry-brushing (heretical talk in some circles). I usually use oil paints as they can be blended out better. Additional dustiness can be added with ground pastels or pigments.

Rich

Thanks Rich I will have a play around. I have some oils and some of those Tamiya dusting pallets .

If you want to lighten the base color, you could lightly spray a mixed color of the base with some off white added to lighten it. Then thin it a lot and lightly spray it on until you get the desired effect.

Here we go take 2...Action...

LRDG  Chevy by Paddy.JPG

You are probably think....but its the same !
There is now a slight darker yellow wash on the bottom of the side panels and the centre of those panels is a bit lighter, a few other details but they dont show in this photo, darker where the wings/fenders join the bonnet/hood and down the hood centre line

some modelling clay arrived today, never used it before but it says it air dries. also reading on the net it seems people stick sand with PVA glue
Cue huge pile of sandy mess i fear :)
As for figures, the ones in the kit are not good, one has his ears on his neck and the other has his eyes shut. so there is another problem I also have to turn a German riding his bike into a dead German fallen of his bike..:) why did i start this....Paddy...you dont do dioramas...get it ?

Last edited:
Looking good. I think there are other SAS crews available out there and while of no use to you, next spring I believe Osprey will be releasing a new book on the LRDG.
James

Thanks James, i actually just bought this one

I think i need to know more and this could be an interest that gets me away from aircraft for a while. first thing i learned was the LRDG was a reconnaissance group and the SAS was the attack group and they were kept quite separate which straight away has implications for models, :) .

James that book looks like a good acquisition. I've been wanting to see all the vehicles used by the LRDG.

"Daddy, When I grow up, will I get to go to North Afrika too?" Both of your Motor bikes look stunning! :ro:

I have reluctantly decided to abandon this project as a mini diorama :unsure:
Having spent the last week trying to paint little men i realise its actually totally beyond my skill set and anything i do involving plastic figures would be so bad it would constantly annoy me every time i saw it. :)
However i am very happy with my chevy and will post some pictures later :)

You gotta do what you like. I got a large figure on the work bench I was going to repaint, just haven't felt it. Let's see that Chevy! :popcorn

They all look very nice. Nicely done Paddy. Bummer about the figs but I understand. I have some I havent started because I know how they will end. One day though.
James

DSC_1491.JPG

DSC_1492.JPG

DSC_1494.JPG

DSC_1496.JPG

DSC_1497.JPG

As you can see my "people dont work at all. Not surprising really as the guys that really can pull this sort of art off are highly skilled and very practiced. I will keep practicing :) a lot of it is choice of paints/method. i found using tamiya that the paint dried on the fine brushes between dipping the brush and trying to apply to the model. Actually using the paint in the lid, that dried within a minute too not really useable. Oils are maybe the way to go which i used on the wooden box in the back of the flat back.

Anyway heres a bit of fun. dont ask why its on an airfield in front of a hanger with lush green grass 😁😁.

DSC_1482.JPG

DSC_1483.JPG

DSC_1484.JPG

DSC_1485.JPG

DSC_1486.JPG

The Chevy looks good Paddy! Don't worry about the figures just keep practicing. I'm not overly good with then too. I use the Army Painter system and get good results. Here is the link .... Army Painter Washes
:victory:

Back