• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Figures Updated Feb 8th, 2021

Logistics, The Figures Updated August 31st, 2015

Wow, I am stunned to speechlessness!

I'm also feeling very small, untalented and inadequate. My issues, not yours. While I was trying to figure out how to make my Hobby into a livelihood; you were doing it! While I was thinking I did well with my models; you were raising the bar beyond the heavens with you outstanding skill. Thus the difference between mediocre and Master. I guess I shall forever be mediocre....

Bob, you have every reason to be proud and happy with your accomplishments; you have an incredible legacy and an incredible wife who supports you. Savor every memory and moment.

Duke,

All you have to have is patience and determination. Those two things make all things possible. You can do anything you want, you just have to keep on keeping on! That's my secret!

Thank you for the kind words!

Bob

WOW Bob! I have moved numerous times and don't really want to move again. I can not imagine how much work is involved with your move.

Looking good! Maybe at some point I might pass through your neck of the woods as I do head to Tulsa on occasion.

WOW Bob! I have moved numerous times and don't really want to move again. I can not imagine how much work is involved with your move.

Looking good! Maybe at some point I might pass through your neck of the woods as I do head to Tulsa on occasion.

Thanks,

Any time, just email first and let us know when you're coming. Willard is a northwest suburb of Springfield, so about 3 hours from Tulsa

Bob

Thanks Bob, I will keep that in mind maybe for a day trip the next time I go back to Tulsa for a few days. I would love to see your collection could meet and buy you and your wife lunch and visit first. :hmmm

Thanks Bob, I will keep that in mind maybe for a day trip the next time I go back to Tulsa for a few days. I would love to see your collection could meet and buy you and your wife lunch and visit first. :hmmm

Sounds Great!

Just give me some advance notice to make sure we have no plans or are out of town!

Bob

I thought I would tell you about my Napoleonic shadowbox. As you can see below, I am starting to do the repairs.

IMG_2414_zpsyzkcqvi2.jpg

IMG_2409_zpsqwnrnhdn~1.jpg

Two problems.

1) I thought a transformer had burned out.

2) it suffered some damage during the move.

Well, a transformer did burn out but it was due to a short in the wiring. I went down this morning and started the long process of checking the transformers, (There are three of them), the wiring and the connections. When i built this back in 1999, my local RR shop had this new product that was being touted as sensational. It was a tape that adhered to most any surface and sandwiched in-between it contained two copper cores which acted as wires. You run the tape around the outside in several key locations and then it had these little pins you connected to the wires coming off the miniature lights and push them through the tape and Viola! You're connected.

Well, about a couple of years ago, I flipped the switch on the shadowbox and nothing happened except the blinking red/orange lights in the fireplace worked. At the time, I assumed that I had blown two of the three transformers. At the time, I was really busy with other matters, so, I decided to wait to fix it. Then, we moved and when I brought the shadowbox downstairs to install it, (I planned to replace the transformers at that time), I noticed quite a lot of damage.

I first repaired all the damage and made it look like new. Then I started looking for damage in the wiring. Bingo! There were three locations where the fantastic "Tape" was blackened by shorting out, one even charring. Seriously, it could have easily started a fire, in fact, I'm surprised it didn't! I ripped out all that wonderful tape, went to a local train shop, bought some 12 - 20 Volt wiring, and, tomorrow, I will rewire the entire diorama. I checked all the miniature lights and they are working. So, as soon as I get it wired, it will be ready to go.

My plan is to install it on the staircase wall, just before you get to the entrance door. There is a closet behind that wall where I can mount it on a platform push it through and then mount the picture frame. It will then look like a normal painting, but when the lights go on, it will be 3-D! I will connect the wiring to the light switch that operates half the lighting in the museum. I think it will have a really nice effect.

Bob

Insulated wire, solid soldered connections and shrink tubing are always the most reliable. That gimmicky tape sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Glad it didn't fire up Bob. Will be looking forward to seeing your finished installation. (y)

Being so low voltage is probably why it didn't spark a fire. Sounds like a really neat plan! :popcorn

Thanks Ian,

The model work is already repaired and the electrical aspect is a piece of cake.

No big deal, even for an old guy! :eek:ldguy

Bob

Being so low voltage is probably why it didn't spark a fire. Sounds like a really neat plan! :popcorn

True! But you would be surprised at the charring for so low a voltage! I've been messing around with low voltage electrical for many years and was really surprised at the amount!

Well, here it is nearly July. The museum is finished except for filling 6 of the 15 glass cases with the individual models and small dioramas that are still in boxes in the garage. I have hung 438 items on the walls. Let me say I am proud of that fact because everybody declared that was impossible due to the lack of wall space when I started. All the dioramas and cases are in place, repaired, cleaned, and those with lighting, functioning properly.

I have just started building the marquee and will begin shortly on the workshop. From now on, I will post everything about the museum, marquee and workshop on the topic, "A Dual Project", and leave this one for what it was originally intended, the figures of Logistics.

I will be so happy to have my life back to live as normal. This move has proved to be far more than I anticipated, and from moving previously. I anticipated a hell of a lot. The difference in the last time has been due to "More Stuff", and being 75 years old hasn't helped! :yipee We do like it here in Springfield. It has greatly grown since we left 50 years ago. It has a totally different feel. We love being able to visit often with our daughter Gail and son-in-law Forrest. I cannot tell you how much I have missed being at the bench! I am so looking forward to it and getting back to posting models, not words and photos of rooms!

The next post on this topic will be actual model building! I hope I haven't forgotten how!

Thanks for bearing with me for the last 9 months!

Bob

Glad to hear you are making progress Bob. It's nice to have "the stuff", but the down side is having to deal with "the stuff".

Maybe sometime in the near future I can get up yor way for a visit. Maybe I can twist Paulw's arm to come along as well.

Looking forward to seeing some more bench work! :popcorn

No need to apologize for 'bearing with you'; I personally feel that I haven't seen enough from you. I'm glad to see things getting back to normal for you and I'm eagerly anticipating your next model project.

Bring it on Bob!

OK I could be crass and silly with the old "Bob? Bob WHO?. But thankfully I'm more mature..... :unsure: now.

Good to see/hear your getting to the end of the movin' and shiftin' and general mayhem.

Now as a reminder for when you get back to model building.
Remember to read and follow the kit instructions exactly and use only the paint color callouts from the model's manufacture....... Bet you are feeling less out of touch Now :laugh:

P.s. :good: glad your doing well an' being so much older than me (two years). I feel like there's hope for me, even now :drinks

Good to see you back Bob, excellent stuff with the museum. "Can't be done" ??? That's one thing that kicks my butt into gear like nothing else. Anyway, good luck with the remaining work, looking forward to seeing you at the bench again, very soon :D

Cheers,

Laurence

B)
Can't wait to see you at the bench again Bob.
Wow that move just 'boggles my mind - you should get a medal just for doing it! :laugh:
Its always a nice thing to be close to family too.

Ian.

Back