• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Figures Updated Feb 8th, 2021

Logistics, The Figures Updated August 31st, 2015

Hey, before you get to far with that lighting, try out those LED lights instead of the old school florescent ones.

:popcorn

We have used mostly LED lighting. it puts out a lot of light for the wattage, but the florescent lighting goes into my workshop and because it isn't finished, I had to add some more. So far, this move has cost us $40K and climbing. LED is great, but it isn't cheap either. I've used it where practical, and in other places requiring a lot of fixtures, I had to go old school to keep it affordable.

The move itself came in at about $25K and the upgrades and additions are over $15K now. There is still more to do!

Dad

Hey, before you get to far with that lighting, try out those LED lights instead of the old school florescent ones.

:popcorn

We love it Luiz, but it is less than half the size of the previous house, so..... we've had to make adjustments. Two old people don't need a 6,200 square foot house!

We are already getting used to it.

Bob

Wow, that is such a magnificent place, even with all the boxes all over. I'm glad to see some progress made, even if it is slow progress. Slow and steady wins the race! I'm also glad to see the damage is manageable and not catastrophic. Man, I wish I could get a house that size; yours is still twice the size of my place!

Looking forward to seeing the finished pics in April.

Welcome to May, Bob.
Well Done, getting that much moved with as "little" damage as you did.
a3de4dcb.gif

Those photos show what a grand place it is going to be.

Belated Congratulations to you and your wife for your anniversary. :good:

Well go ahead and get back to work, I think its in the box with the red stripes ,just on the right of the furnace-or is that gray one, just under the landing??
:Hiay -Tootles

Welcome to May, Bob.
Well Done, getting that much moved with as "little" damage as you did.
a3de4dcb.gif

Those photos show what a grand place it is going to be.

Belated Congratulations to you and your wife for your anniversary. :good:

Well go ahead and get back to work, I think its in the box with the red stripes ,just on the right of the furnace-or is that gray one, just under the landing??
:Hiay -Tootles

Thanks Steve,

Here are some progress photos on the museum. Maybe you can understand what is taking so much time!

First, as you enter the museum from the stairway. I have added 40 light fixtures to the lower level. It was so dark when we moved here, I thought the previous owners must have been moles! BTW Moon Pup, Most of those 40 were L.E.D. This is what I call diorama row. It will have nearly a dozen dioramas against this wall.

IMG_2408_zpscj9cdqlb-1.jpg

A total of 20 glass cases of all sizes that will be filled with models, small dioramas and militaria.

IMG_2406_zpsf1qkox9d.jpg

More awards and memorabilia than I can find wall space for.

IMG_2408_zpscj9cdqlb-1.jpg

In the foreground, there are the guts of the Napoleon Shadowbox. It was damaged extensively, but nothing I can't fix. However, fixing takes time!

IMG_2414_zpsyzkcqvi2.jpg

Here is where I have been working on it. Somehow, the movers broke one of the 4 transformers when moving it. I went to a train shop yesterday to buy a replacement and the owner told me that transformers last forever and never stop working. I informed him that the impossible just happened or I wouldn't be there to replace it!

IMG_2409_zpsqwnrnhdn.jpg

The far back wall of the museum. Legacies, Coccoon, Knight Takes king's Bishop, Comrades and Arrogance will fill that wall. Arrogance had the most damage of any, really bad, but as you can see, It is repaired and in place, all clean and ready to be seen!

IMG_2411_zpskrgvzm2i.jpg

Another wall which will have Quota, Nest and The Liberation of Sheila.

IMG_2413_zpswobzk4yj.jpg

Coccoon in the back corner.

IMG_2412_zpscos8xuel.jpg

And, that wall is where the Logistics diorama will be finished and will abide. BTW, I found a Plexiglass fabricator and he have me a bid on the cover for Logistics. I was quoted $1600 in St. Louis, only $550 down here!

IMG_2410_zpsfnqubixs.jpg

The department store buildings for Logistics.

IMG_2407_zpsnvifbpmv.jpg

One of the "Rooms" I made with glass cases.

IMG_2416_zpsdq5yijne.jpg

The beginning of my police career section.

IMG_2418_zpsqcewbfxt.jpg

More awards and trophies.

IMG_2415_zpswueyqwa5.jpg

Inside one of the glass shelves rooms.

IMG_2417_zpsf1iykyfq.jpg

The police section again.

IMG_2419_zpsib5yrbeu.jpg

IMG_2420_zps1x4pugcb.jpg

More of the same.

IMG_2422_zpsfwgjqmcy.jpg

Some of the dog section.

IMG_2424_zpsl7lnlvzg.jpg

Ditto.

IMG_2423_zpsiaifm4sx.jpg

This will be the media room. It is wired with a super Bose sound system, an 80 inch TV, etc, the walls are lined with oak shelves containing my 5000 strong collection of DVDs. It will have a bar with fridge, etc., lots of neon and so on.

IMG_2428_zpsbmlt9dsd.jpg

IMG_2426_zpskbbyowia.jpg

IMG_2427_zps8vjv55gg.jpg

IMG_2431_zpsmkndgxj1.jpg

IMG_2430_zpsuilfwt1r.jpg

IMG_2432_zpsuutcc2x4.jpg

There are still about 250 more things to hang on the walls and 11 more dioramas still in storage to bring in. I still have a minimum of6 more to repair and all 11 in storage are wrapped in moving pads, so, until I unwrap them, no idea how many more are damaged.

Here are a few of the plaques, awards and memorabilia to hang.

IMG_2441_zpsgfm8pz8l-1.jpg

IMG_2438_zps90mbvpvj-1.jpg

IMG_2434_zps1bg8xygm.jpg

IMG_2433_zps41sw6uvr.jpg

IMG_2435_zpselawdxkl.jpg

IMG_2436_zpsvvlvlxgh.jpg

IMG_2437_zpsftpilz81.jpg

IMG_2438_zps90mbvpvj.jpg

IMG_2439_zpsael34sn5.jpg

[
IMG_2440_zpscunzbaj3.jpg

And,

IMG_2441_zpsgfm8pz8l.jpg

OK, that's it for now. Next time I post, it will all be finished. I am thinking about doing a tutorial about creating an efficient workshop when I start that. I plan on using all those 71 years of experience building on this, my last one. Hey, I'm 75 on May 11th, how many more do you think I will build??? :yipee

Bob

Thank you Bob for the pictures...amazing stuff and very nice place...a lot of work to do :frantic ... But for sure,you will be modelling soon!

Good lucky and go ahead :good:

Luiz

Dude, I love you! You just saved my sorry ass - you have SO MUCH stuff that my wife just said hey I guess you really don't have that much! :mpup

Shaping up very nicely Bob. I suppose only you and Susan can truly understand and love all those memories, the rest of us just marvel at the outstanding pieces of art on display.

Thanks for sharing the journey mate, good luck with getting it all done.

Cheers :drinks

Laurence

Dude, I love you! You just saved my sorry ass - you have SO MUCH stuff that my wife just said hey I guess you really don't have that much! :mpup

Well John,

With me it's a totally different story. My wife has never had a problem with my modeling, possibly because it made her life a lot better. In the beginning, back 50 years ago, she never complained because once in awhile, I would win things like an F.W. Woolworth's national model car contest. In 1967 I won a new Yamaha motorcycle, all kinds of gift certificates and so on after entering three cars and placing first, third and fourth. I sold the motorcycle and we used the money to travel. She loved that! Later, I was entering competitions in Europe and most every state in the US and Canada. She loves to travel so, she liked the models. She also loved the accolades when i won! She didn't even mind the growing walls of trophies.

Then in 1991, a collector had been bugging me for 10 years and I finally gave in and sold him the Winds of War. (A giant 4' X 8' diorama that had won the IPMS nationals). I took the money and bought her a new Mercedes S class sedan. Guess what? She liked the models even more!

Then, I started VLS and the travel really began. There's not a lot of places in the world she hasn't visited. Then, of course, VLS became a very large company and after twenty some years, it had sold a total of $490 million dollars, (almost a half billion), worth of kits, books, magazines, paint and glue. The profit from that bought a lot of dresses, shoes, coats, jewelry,, household furniture, dinners out and so on. You see where I am going with this?

Add to that the Mastercon phenomenon. BY hosting that show that had 600 to 700 attendees every year back then, and by her being in charge of the sales department of VLS for 10 years, she is probably the most well known modeler's wife anywhere. So, she still loves to go to shows, actually, more than I want to these days. She has a lot more fans than i do!

She once had an old friend, who lived out of state back in the old days, who came to visit, saw all the "Stuff", then looked at the newly completed Winds of War diorama, and asked, "OK, but can you make any money with all this"? Ten years later, she visited again. VLS then had a 40,000 square foot building on 5 acres and 42 employees. She was amazed! Then I asked her if she remembered asking me that question, and Susan showed her the new Mercedes.

Bob

Definitely progress in the right direction. :good:

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing everything set up. Looks pretty bloody amazing already. :woohoo:

Shaping up very nicely Bob. I suppose only you and Susan can truly understand and love all those memories, the rest of us just marvel at the outstanding pieces of art on display.

Thanks for sharing the journey mate, good luck with getting it all done.

Cheers :drinks

Laurence

Thanks Laurence,

Yeah, I have kept all that stuff all these years because modeling has been such a huge part of my life. I have had two careers, been in the Army and the Navy, but modeling has defined the major part of my life. I can remember painting camouflage on my toy tanks and cannons even before I became an avid modeler. That was in 1945 and WW II was still going on!

At least now you can understand why all this is taking so long!

Bob

Oh I totally understand Bob - SWMBO doesn't have a problem with the hobby, just the amount of space I steal for it. She would much rather have me in the work room than out at bars with the "boyz" (Honestly I would too, shhh.) Showing her your stuff wasn't really a fair comparison - yours is your livelihood - mine is for play. But I figured why not ;)

Oh I totally understand Bob - SWMBO doesn't have a problem with the hobby, just the amount of space I steal for it. She would much rather have me in the work room than out at bars with the "boyz" (Honestly I would too, shhh.) Showing her your stuff wasn't really a fair comparison - yours is your livelihood - mine is for play. But I figured why not ;)

Well, it was my livelihood for 23 years, but before and after it is just for play. I just happen to have a lot of stuff left over from my business.

You are so right about wives preferring the model bench to a barroom! I can say I never went out drinking with the guys but twice in 50 years of marriage. I always have the guys over to the house for that!

BTW, you only saw the basement. You didn't see the garage and my workshop! That would really blow her mind!

Definitely progress in the right direction. :good:

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing everything set up. Looks pretty bloody amazing already. :woohoo:

Thanks Helios

Believe me, I can't wait to finish it and get back to the bench!

Bob

Wow, I am stunned to speechlessness!

I'm also feeling very small, untalented and inadequate. My issues, not yours. While I was trying to figure out how to make my Hobby into a livelihood; you were doing it! While I was thinking I did well with my models; you were raising the bar beyond the heavens with you outstanding skill. Thus the difference between mediocre and Master. I guess I shall forever be mediocre....

Bob, you have every reason to be proud and happy with your accomplishments; you have an incredible legacy and an incredible wife who supports you. Savor every memory and moment.

Thank you Bob for the pictures...amazing stuff and very nice place...a lot of work to do :frantic ... But for sure,you will be modelling soon!

Good luck and go ahead :good:

Luiz

Thanks Luiz, I'm trying!

a
I would love to visit and see it :love

Dave, I know you are about 6000 miles away, but if you ever get the chance, you are certainly welcome. I'll even pop for the beer!

Bob

Woo Hoo! That means bench time coming soon! :popcorn

You bet son, and nobody is looking any more forward to that than me!!

Dad

Back