• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 31, 2019

Here's a short update. Been busy this last week and haven done a lot.

First, the big hole in the side of the train station had to be fitted with bricks and mortar. I used resin brick sections that I cut out of building parts in my scrap box. Fitted them and glued them in, then came back with Cell-u-clay and used it to simulate mortar. The intention was to create a hole made by a tank round. Later, I will paint the bricks a reddish brown and yellow the plaster. The rubble created by the hole will be on both the train station floor and the sidewalk outside.

0000~22.JPG

A Closer shot.

9~5.JPG

Next, I built the trusses that will support the Collar Beams. Many trusses in the prewar European train stations were quite intricate.

99~8.JPG

Then they are assembled with three posts. You would think they would be called columns but, no, they are called posts regardless if they are timber, metal or masonry in commercial architecture.

99999~6.JPG

When in place these trusses and posts will support the collar beams I started next.

These are the basic collar beams prior installing purlins that will eventually support the roof itself. The roof material itself will be made of glass panels with steel framing and the roofing material itself.

999~8.JPG

Then they are connected with bracing and eventually can stand alone, ready to install on the building eaves, shown here being weighted down with whatever I could find to insure they are true when the glue has set.

999999~5.JPG

Another angle.

9999999~1.JPG

That's it for now, Thanks for looking in!

Bob
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

It's been quite a while since I have had time to look around at everyone's current projects. Wow, Bob, that is going to look great when it is all done. It is impressive in it's in-progress state as well.

Cheers,
James

It's been quite a while since I have had time to look around at everyone's current projects. Wow, Bob, that is going to look great when it is all done. It is impressive in it's in-progress state as well.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James,

I'm hoping so, but never know for certain!

Bob

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Nov 18, 2019

Nice progress. I noticed some Grandtline parts in there. Shame they are gone. :(

Nice progress. I noticed some Grandtline parts in there. Shame they are gone. :(

Thanks John,

I wasn't aware they were gone! That is a shame! Besides their architectural line, they had, IMO, the best rivets, nuts and bolt line anywhere! Architectural parts are obviously not very popular with modelers and never have been. VLS had a huge aftermarket company we called The 135th Construction Battalion, which had all types of building components, walls, brick, masonry, marble, wood, etc. A dozen styles of roofing, Windows galore, Dormers, doors, gables and on and on. Altogether around 200 various products and climbing when i sold VLS. The new owners never produced that range. I had planned on publishing a book on the use of architectural products, but never got around to it. Another great company that was 100% photo-etch architectural and scenery parts was Scale Link. It was owned by John Piper in England and was VLS' very first product line that i imported beginning in 1983.

Admittedly,business wise, I should have never produced the 135th architectural line myself. As they say in the narcotics world, "Never get high on your own supply"! It's true, I produced it out of selfishness as I loved those products. The deadly trap for a modeler who goes into the model business is to carry too much of the products he likes personally at the detriment of all other products.

I actually created a "board" of types that consisted of four to six modelers who worked for me. They would go into a room once a week and create our purchase orders. That way, I got a good cross section of both an unbiased inventory and new releases! I remember some really heated debates in that room. A lot of heated arguments. Once, I had to get between two very large dudes that were ready to go to blows! :)

Many of my competitors didn't hire modelers just because of their personal likes and dislikes. I had six modelers out of the 50 employees and I never regretted it. I'll never forget one of my original employees. He was a Jeep nut. He even had a real one and that was all he ever built as models. I made the mistake of putting him in charge of inventory and after he left, around 1986, I had enough Jeep kits to supply several Divisions. In fact, when I finally sold VLS in 2007, we were still over stocked in Jeep kits! :)

Bob

Too many cooks spoil the broth? I love Scale-link, and still, have a few of their products in my stash!

Too many cooks spoil the broth? I love Scale-link, and still, have a few of their products in my stash!

I had quite a lot of Scale Link 15 years ago, but, alas, most are gone. :-(

Too many cooks? In that room where they created the purchase orders, I spent a lot of time. I would sit and listen as the typical debates went as follows: Are you crazy? Who buys WW I figures? We need more WW II Germans! Me crazy? We have a warehouse full of WW II Germans!

Then, Mounted Polish Lancers attacking a tank? Are you serious? We might sell one kit! And you'd be the one who bought it!

Or: I remember this one particularly! "You're not serious! You want to buy a thousand kits of the New Tamiya French Somua? Those will sit in our warehouse for years, Bob, don't let him do it".

We bought the thousand, sold out in a few hours and bought another thousand! It blew my mind, I would have never bought one. But, I was fooled a lot. It is so hard to predict what will sell. The only products that will always sell is 1/35th German. Always. I would imagine it is still that way today?

Bob

Fantastic works of art each and every piece. Love watching this coming together.
James

Good stuff Mr Bob! Carry on! (y)

Thanks Mike,

It's been one of those model projects that turned out purely with dumb luck!

Bob

Fantastic works of art each and every piece. Love watching this coming together.
James

Thanks James!

Sure glad I could make it look like that! You should have seen it between photographs! :)

Bob

The level of detail is amazing Bob. As the others have said it is a real treat to watch this come together!

Thanks for sharing this with us. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Wow, I finally got caught up with this. Amazing work and brilliant application of the maxim: "maximum utilization of available resources"! As always, I am overwhelmed.

The level of detail is amazing Bob. As the others have said it is a real treat to watch this come together!

Thanks for sharing this with us. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Thank you Dave!

I hope it turns out as well as some believe it will! :)

Bob

Wow, I finally got caught up with this. Amazing work and brilliant application of the maxim: "maximum utilization of available resources"! As always, I am overwhelmed.

Thanks Mark!

To me it was just a lot of hard work! Was it ever!!!!!

Bob

I love a good story! The VLS stories are good ones!
Model supplies are everywhere, if a Man has eyes to see!
:ro:
(y)
:drinks

I love a good story! The VLS stories are good ones!
Model supplies are everywhere, if a Man has eyes to see!
:ro:
(y)
:drinks

Everybody becomes a storyteller when they get old! You have all those years to draw upon! :)

Thanks Rhino!

Bob

The Truth is always The Truth, Suh! I may well have reached the appropriate Vintage for such things. :eek:ldguy

Back