• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Jan. 5, 2020

I'm hungry now....and thirsty. :notworthy

That was one of those things that, although not so exciting, I enjoyed building it because besides the model building, it was also a trip down memory lane. I can't believe that was 60 years ago! Damn I'm old! :)

Dad

Incridible details!...all of them, make the difference (y)

Luiz

It's always great to see the new stuff you are building Bob! We get to see some things (like the Brat shoppe) that many of us will never get to experience.

I have just been tired since the end of November, the short days tend to drain me and it is hard to get any kind of motivation going. I had to photos, it was more a "remember to do it" issue with them.

Wow, what sensational work! Yeah, it's these types of details that really bring a diorama to life.

It's always great to see the new stuff you are building Bob! We get to see some things (like the Brat shoppe) that many of us will never get to experience.

I have just been tired since the end of November, the short days tend to drain me and it is hard to get any kind of motivation going. I had to photos, it was more a "remember to do it" issue with them.

Thanks Paul, It was cool to have been in Germany only 14 years after the war ended. The difference in Germany then and now is like Day and night!

No biggie, we all get a case of the doldrums now and then! You'll get your MoJo back before you know it!

Hang in there,

Bob

Wow, what sensational work! Yeah, it's these types of details that really bring a diorama to life.

Thanks Mark!

IMO, the details are not only what brings a normal sized diorama to life, but, without them, these large ones would really suffer!

Bob

My favorite place in Sydney - Lowenbrau Keller restaurant in Sydney :D

Fantastic work Bob, you going to have some pretzels done too ? Pour la bonne bouche, since you mentioned the Renault four horses :pp

Laurence

My favorite place in Sydney - Lowenbrau Keller restaurant in Sydney :D

Fantastic work Bob, you going to have some pretzels done too ? Pour la bonne bouche, since you mentioned the Renault four horses :pp

Laurence

Thanks Laurence,

Yeah, I like almost all German beers. Today though, that Belgian company, InBev, owns that one as well as the largest American beer company, Anheuser-Busch! They are gobbling up all the great beer companies in the world. That's progress I suppose? :beer

That old Renault was all I could afford on my army pay! It got me where I wanted to go. Years later in 1976, Susan and I rented a French Peugeot at Orly airport the first time I took her to Europe. We drove it through 16 countries in three weeks and almost 5000 kilometers. It was a typical Clark Griswald European vacation! We had some problems with it, each time I applied the brakes, it had this really loud screeching sound that woke the dead for miles around. We stopped at a mechanic's garage in Germany. He refused to work on it, said it was beneath his dignity to repair a French....., well, I won't finish his sentence! C'est la vie!

:rotf

Bob

Got some more details to post. They are built, painted, and all need some weathering, or, in this case, aging.

Some of the benches and seating in the grand hall.

0~20.JPG

The wood grain applied and the cushions painted.

999~9.JPG

The hole made by the tank round. (Base coat)

0000~23.JPG

The same almost finished.

9~6.JPG

The sign for the snack shop (Base coated)

000~24.JPG

The train station sausage snack shop. (Imbiss in German).

9999999~2.JPG

The menu for the snack shop.

8~5.JPG

Together, partially tucked under the staircase.

99~9.JPG

A telephone booth w/pay telephone.

88~8.JPG

Two photos of the side wall of the Grand hall.

00000~18.JPG

0000000~1.JPG

This is a portion of the roof section. The areas with the tiny frames will be glass and the remainder will be standard roofing. It also has lighting for the Grand Hall. The remainder of the roof cannot be completed until the building walls are assembled an permanently in place. The entire roof will be 18 inches, (457mm) in length. Then will attach to the train shed, (Where the passengers board), that will be 6 feet, (30.48 Centimeters) in length. The shed will be partially collapsed onto the K-5 Rail gun in the center portion.

9999~8.JPG

The following two photos are different angles of the support columns for the roof that will be in the Grand hall.

99999~7.JPG

999999~6.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Jan. 11, 2020

Looks great! Fun to see all that irreplaceable Grandt line being put to good use. I wonder what happened to the molds?

Looks great! Fun to see all that irreplaceable Grandt line being put to good use. I wonder what happened to the molds?

Thanks John!

Yeah, I'm almost out of their doors and window frames. I only had a few to start with. I've been out of their rivets and bolt heads for a few years. I still have the VLS resin rivets and bolt heads in molds that I use now. Not as easy to use, but....... Before they were available, I made all that stuff from scratch. I can do it again. Only this time when i make them, I'll put them in rubber for future use. I have enough architectural stuff I have made over the years in rubber to build a dozen cities. I never made molds of windows and doors because I made windows and doors in various buildings that were all different sizes. If a cityscape had all the same doors and windows, it would be immediately noticeable. As you know, Grandt Line only had a few sizes. The vast majority of the windows and doors in the buildings on Logistics are made from scratch anyway! Back in the 1970s, I had to scratch everything, even figures!

In 2001, I started up a company I named "135th Construction Battalion", and it consisted of nothing but every kind of building component you can think of, Dormers, roofing materials, brick, granite, stone and wooden walls, flooring, cobblestone for streets and on and on. When i sold VLS, I think that line had more than 200 products. It was a dream for me! However, they never produced the products. They sold most of them off to small companies and I've never seen much of them since. VLS produced nearly 3000 products in house and the buyers didn't have the equipment or the skilled labor to produce that volume of output. What a shame that was!

Bob

It is a real shame! It would be a true time-saver for so many!

Back