• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

LF Models 1/72 resin Curtiss A-18 Shrike

jeaton01

Not the worst resin kit I have done, but there were moments. The vacform canopies were not the best fit, but enough fiddling got them close. The decals were very thin and liked to fold on themselves, I think they were done on an ALPS and I redid a couple on my laser printer. Alclad 101 Aluminum rubbed with SNJ aluminum powder was used for the metal parts, Alclad white aluminum for the fabric covered areas. The interior of the A-18 was not replicated very well, with a solid floor that did not come close to fitting, but there were very nice PE seats included. The A-18 had no floor, just runners for the pilot's feet. The gun receivers were visible below them on both sides of the pilot. Must have been exciting to fire all four. The engines were well cast but were more like an R-985 than an R-1820 in size, so I replaced them with un-geared R-1820's from Mark Tutton, aka Starfighter Decals. Very nice engines.

There should be external hinges on the rudder like the P-40 but my plan to put them on after decaling got changed by the nature of the decals. The kit comes with a large loop antenna but it was not usually on the operational airplanes.

The best reference I found for the A-18 was an article in the December 1971 Wings by Walt Boyne.

I wish I has a P-36 in 1/72 to pose with it, the P-39 is the closest I could come age-wise, and of course the Bell YFM-1B Airacuda, like the A-18, another design based on mistaken conceptions and whose time was past before it ever arrived.

016a18.jpg

017a18.jpg

018a18.jpg

019a18.jpg

020a18.jpg

022a18.jpg

025a18.jpg

Love those 'tween war designs. It's like the guys took a swig of scotch and said "Lets' see if this works". :pilot

It looks excellent as always John!
Great Job.gif

Didn't Monogram do a 1/72 P-36 years ago? I remember a silver plane with a radial engine, and had one. (might still have it someplace, will have to dig a little)

Very nice! I have always thought it interesting how much Ki-45 resembled the A-18. Did the A-18 have an internal bomb bay?

It had 4 bays outboard of each nacelle for small bombs and a bomb bay behind the pilot which held bombs in the vertical position according to the article by Walt Boyne, Rob.

Paul, yes, Monogram did a nice P-36 in 1/72, and Starfighter Decals has a nice resin set and decals for it. Got three in the stash but none have received my attentions. Need to fix that.

Nice work. When I first saw this I thought it was a Japanese plane in US markings. Is the P-39 in Fifth Airforce markings? They all came out looking great. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Back