• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Whirleybirds 1/72 resin YF-102

jeaton01

I seem to be stuck in 1/72 lately. This is a well cast kit by Whirleybirds, who unfortunately have recently closed shop due to the owner's retirement. It went together well, though there were some challenges because of my clumsiness and the fragility of some of the parts. The decals were very nice. Paint is Alclad II of various shades with SNJ powder rubbed in here and there. I'm working on doing all the Convair deltas in 1/72. Maybe by the time I get to the B-58 there will be a replacement for the Italeri kit.
The head on view shows the lack of area ruling on the YF-102, which caused it's high speed performance to fall well below predictions. Dr. Richard Whitcomb had done research on transonic drag and his theories were applied to the F-102, resulting in the F-102A and later the F-106. Dr. Whitcomb also developed the winglets we see so often now on airliners and business jets.

0021f102.jpg

0031f102.jpg

0081f102.jpg
0111f102.jpg

0131f102.jpg

0141f102.jpg

0151f102.jpg

0161f102.jpg

Well that's just COOL! Whirlybird castings look to be excellent. In the hands of a Master such as yourself, an outstanding build!
:vgood:
Harrumph!

As usual you are too kind. Bob, I swapped out the kit wheels and tires from a Hasegawa kit, the profile of the tires was better, and the o-ring for the nose wheel was too small and would have broken the delicate resin hub had I tried to put it on. I would have liked to have used the resin wheels, as they were really nice.

Marrtin, did you build the Whirleybirds kit? The only other one I have see was the Allyn/Microscale 1/60 scale kit. There must be a vacform of it but I haven't seen it.

As usual you are too kind. Bob, I swapped out the kit wheels and tires from a Hasegawa kit, the profile of the tires was better, and the o-ring for the nose wheel was too small and would have broken the delicate resin hub had I tried to put it on. I would have liked to have used the resin wheels, as they were really nice.

Marrtin, did you build the Whirleybirds kit? The only other one I have see was the Allyn/Microscale 1/60 scale kit. There must be a vacform of it but I haven't seen it.
Yes, I did the Whirleybirds kit (https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/us/usaf/pohl102.htm)

Now I want to know about this oven pipe color! :rotf
I think there was an article on that in the old forum, "Tanks and Things" if I remember correctly ... but a seaech for "silver bronze paint for heat pipes" should give an idea

Well theoretically it should be here as well. Everything was copied but the search doesn't yield anything. That's cool Martin, great looking jet.

Back