• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

Latest Acquisitions

This arrived.

ha19901d.jpeg

I will second what "The Pup" said, "That's neat!"

Latest Acquisitions

Picked up a bottle of thinner. No pics because, well, let's face it...it really isn't that exciting. :lol:

Latest Acquisitions

Got a real steal from Lots-of-Models. All three for $52.01 USD shipped!

Eduard64826Eduard64829Eduard64836.JPG

A closer look at each:
Eduard64825Bf109G5.JPG

Above and below are for the Eduard kits... I bought the G-5 but it works for the G-6 as long as you don't use the pressure bulkhead. The Bf 109F set includes brass landing gear so it was a must have!
Eduard64829Bf109F.JPG

For the Airfix kit.
Eduard64836P51D.JPG

Some light reading on my long commutes, perhaps a review if there is a title of interest?
Chalremagne00.JPG

GermanSPG00.JPG

M29Weasel00.JPG

P_24A-G00.JPG

Regards,

Latest Acquisitions

Been looking at power mitre boxes lately. Got the one from Harbor Freight for $34.99. I liked the looks of the Proxon, but the price of $250.00 was a bit much for the use I would get out of it.

The one I got, I made a table for it with side extensions. The first test cut was of some very cured hard maple, 3/8" X 3/8". The saw bogged down some about 1/2 way through the cut, but if I fed the head down slowly, it worked ok.

I took it into the model room and made some test cuts on balsa up to 1/2" X 3/8" and some basswood strips 3/16" X 1/8" and it worked beautifully.

I'm working on a Balsa Guillow's DC-3 and starting a Model Airways Wright Flyer with basswood strips up to 3/16" X 3/16" and can see that this tool will be fine for my needs in the model room. If I need anything heavier, I have a fully equipped cabinet shop out back where I earned my living for over 45 years.

ZIttEVL.jpg

EJ

Latest Acquisitions

Those look neat James! I want several WNW kits but am holding off for the Nationals.

EJ, that is a sweet looking little tool. Never noticed it at Harbor Freight before. Most of my small stuff I use my Ryobi band saw. Over the years I have cut long strips with it out of acrylic and aluminum and it does great with wood. More recently I have been using the table saw I inherited from my dad. He made the first 2 he had out of wood. (didn't have much money back then) later he went through a number of saws that he bought used for a bit and sold. I have the little Craftsman that he had at the end. In all that time he never got more than a nick from a blade tooth or something similar.

It was always "glue my head on and be fully concentrating when the saw is on." I treat both saws with a lot of respect. Sometimes I may look like I am being careless with the band saw, but have worked out ways to prevent getting into the blade. Always think through the cut work before starting.

Latest Acquisitions

EJ I hope you share those balsa projects, I really want to see how those things go together. :popcorn

Latest Acquisitions

Attended my first modelling "club meeting" today. Only half the people of an already small group (4 of us today total). Low key laid back. More of a BS session, trading stories, sharing projects and some horse trading (and giving away) of some items. Had a good time, it really didn't seem like I was there for 3 hours. One of the guys turns out is a writer for one of the major reference publishers. Talk about a wealth of knowledge. Down to earth chaps. Looking forward to next month if my schedule allows.

Came home with a couple bits too. Though I don't have a P-51D.....yet. :lol: The book is from a pilot that was actually from Bellingham...figured I couldn't say no because of that.

Latest Acquisitions

(y)

I googled Joe Moser, interesting story.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xI13elIGg

:pilot

Latest Acquisitions

How I spent my summer vacation...get it, spent?

h7f9a655.jpg

For you city folk, that's a drainage system for our septic tank.

Now that's done and so many chores, I'm heading to the bench tomorrow. No really! :D

Latest Acquisitions

How I spent my summer vacation...get it, spent?

h7f9a655.jpg

For you city folk, that's a drainage system for our septic tank.

Now that's done and so many chores, I'm heading to the bench tomorrow. No really! :D

Won't be greener for a little while.

So whotcher gonna be buildin' Pup?

Latest Acquisitions

New book came in with a broken spine thanks to idiot boy who folded it to fit my mailbox. Luckily, Amazon will replace at no charge.

IraqiMiragesMEW1700.JPG

Also received the Eduard PE exterior set for the Airfix P-51D Mustang... photo later. Will add to this post and edit the text.

Regards,

Last edited:
Back