• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Junkers Ju 290A-5

Nice Gary!.

What are those three horizontal ridges ahead of the rear seats? That where the big screen goes?

You got me Warren, none of my references show that area of the interior. There are actually 4 of them, one is located to the side at 90º to the other three.

The fuselage halves have been joined and the tail assembled. Fit was good and the tail is just press fit in place for now.

290-b05.jpg

Just for comparison as a size reference I sat the Shackleton fuselage, which is hardly a small aircraft, next to it. The tail plane of the 290 spanned 48' which is 8' longer than the wingspan of a P-47.

290-b06.jpg

The wings have been glued and are curing. As soon as the engines are mounted it will be ready to mate with the fuselage.

Thanks for looking.

OK, wings and engines have been attached. So far the only fit issues were the 3 part engine covers and they weren't all that bad to deal with. Just need to add the rudders, do some masking and a little touch up sanding and we'll be ready for paint. I think this one is going to be a real paint hog, I thought the Betty was going to use a lot of paint but I think this one has even more surface area.

290-b07.jpg

While setting up to photograph this I noticed the starboard wing looked lower than the port. I don't always trust the Mark II eyeball so I broke out my height gauge. sure enough the the starboard wing was over 1/4" lower...

290-b08.jpg

290-b09.jpg

Checking at the outboard engines things were spot on...

290-b10.jpg

290-b11.jpg

The outboard wing joints on the bottom were both tight. I held my breath, put pressure on the top of the wing over the joint and gradually pulled up on the starboard wing. With a resounding pop the bottom joint opened up very cleanly.. I found by trial and error that a strip of .015 styrene in the joint brought the wing up to within an eyelash of the port wing...

290-b12.jpg

Oddly enough the starboard wing now appears to have slightly more dihedral so I'm assuming the port wing must have a bow to it that starts out gradual and increases towards the tip. In any event it is not that noticeable compared to have one wing over 1/4" lower. Hopefully by the next update some paint will be on.

:blink Never really considered I might need a high gage for modeling before .

Goog catch :good: and fix.

Wonder how it,size compares to the Stirling ( its long ).

cheers, Christian B)

I actually use the height gauge quite often in modeling, that's why it's in my modeling room and not in the shop. Really handy when ever you need to compare things like stabilizers, flaps and the like. I don't have a space at the moment large enough to photograph the Stirling next to the Junkers or I would.

Colors on...

290-b13.jpg

Some minor touch ups to do and a couple days for the paint to cure then on to clear coat.

The beast ate up a lot of masking tape and a lot of paint as well and was challenging to handle during the painting process.

looking good Gary . I bet that was tricky to handle :idonno Lot of possibilities for finger marks.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back