• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Junkers Ju 290A-5

Old Dog

Alright, after having looked at the dozen or so Junkers kits in my stash and knowing that I have a year to finish I have decided on this one

290box.jpg

Since my modeling season doesn't start for another month or two depending on the weather I'll wait till I'm closer to starting to post the time stamp photos.

Crikey! I have always wanted to build this one along with the Bv 222. I will be watching in interest.

OK with the weather getting iffy for outdoor work I thought I'd go ahead and post a time stamp, with two German aircraft in the campaign mix there may be an opportunities for making maximum use of the airbrush by spraying parts of both at the same time. That and I want to toss the stupid end flap box.

290ts1.jpg

290ts2.jpg

OK with the weather getting iffy for outdoor work I thought I'd go ahead and post a time stamp, with two German aircraft in the campaign mix there may be an opportunities for making maximum use of the airbrush by spraying parts of both at the same time. That and I want to toss the stupid end flap box.

290ts1.jpg

290ts2.jpg

Cool, I really want to see this kit built ( got one in the closet )and yes I have a strong dislike for those boxes also :(

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian, I was pleased to see that Revell's new C-54 comes in a traditional style box until I removed the shrink wrap. The box is so flimsy you can't hold it in one hand without it collapsing. It will need to stay on the top of the stash to survive.

Sorry, nothing worth posting assembly wise yet. Of the four campaigns I have signed on for this one ends first I decided to start looking things over while I'm waiting for paint and coatings to dry on other projects. A few comments for those who might want to build one.

First is color call outs. Only Revell numbers are listed and yes I could convert them using various charts on the net. They do give generic color names as well and the colors called out for the interior parts just don't seem right to me even given that this was an aircraft from the 43 - 44 period. Gunship grey is called out for the forward cockpit area, scale effect maybe but seems a little light for me and the balance of the interior areas including wheel wells as aluminum. I suppose it could be correct but right or wrong I'm going with traditional colors in these areas.

A decal is supplied for the instrument panel but the instruments on the decal don't match what is molded into the panel. Maybe they figure in this scale no one would notice. :idonno

The sprue attachment points are very heavy for a kit in this scale, more like what you find on limited run kits. I have seen smaller on 1/32 kits. Requires care when removing parts.

The last thing doesn't effect anything but sure is annoying. The parts are numbered on the sprues but all too often parts that go together and are consecutively numbered are on different sprues and the sprues themselves have no identifying marks on them. So expect to spend time tracking down parts.

I have removed all the larger parts from the sprues as well as interior parts and parts I know for sure I won't be using. I decided I would leave the waist gun windows closed as trying to mask the opening with a rather delicate gun mount inside would just be a pain. In most cases these would be closed up unless it was under attack anyway.

I have glued a couple bulkheads in place so they can be painted when I do the interior areas. Hopefully next post I'll have something to show. (I know where is that worthless without pic emoticon)

Sorry, nothing worth posting assembly wise yet. Of the four campaigns I have signed on for this one ends first I decided to start looking things over while I'm waiting for paint and coatings to dry on other projects. A few comments for those who might want to build one.

First is color call outs. Only Revell numbers are listed and yes I could convert them using various charts on the net. They do give generic color names as well and the colors called out for the interior parts just don't seem right to me even given that this was an aircraft from the 43 - 44 period. Gunship grey is called out for the forward cockpit area, scale effect maybe but seems a little light for me and the balance of the interior areas including wheel wells as aluminum. I suppose it could be correct but right or wrong I'm going with traditional colors in these areas.

A decal is supplied for the instrument panel but the instruments on the decal don't match what is molded into the panel. Maybe they figure in this scale no one would notice. :idonno

The sprue attachment points are very heavy for a kit in this scale, more like what you find on limited run kits. I have seen smaller on 1/32 kits. Requires care when removing parts.

The last thing doesn't effect anything but sure is annoying. The parts are numbered on the sprues but all too often parts that go together and are consecutively numbered are on different sprues and the sprues themselves have no identifying marks on them. So expect to spend time tracking down parts.

I have removed all the larger parts from the sprues as well as interior parts and parts I know for sure I won't be using. I decided I would leave the waist gun windows closed as trying to mask the opening with a rather delicate gun mount inside would just be a pain. In most cases these would be closed up unless it was under attack anyway.

I have glued a couple bulkheads in place so they can be painted when I do the interior areas. Hopefully next post I'll have something to show. (I know where is that worthless without pic emoticon)

Chasing parts make me nuts at times.

As far as the cheap boxes,I. Have picked up a couple plastic containers at WallyWorld to help with that situation. :hmmm of course they only had half of what I wanted.

Cheer,Christian B)

Looking forward to this one Gary. :popcorn

I seem to remember having difficulty getting that 4 or 5 part fuselage to line up when I did mine. Wish I could remember what the issue was or if it was just my ten thumbs getting in the way.

Yeah Dave, it looks like it will be a challenge, I tried doing some test fitting but without gluing is was near impossible.

I'll be watching this one with interest ... great looking kit ... Good luck & if those containers aren't at Wally World ... Dollar general has some of the same thing ... very handy in helping a big build like this ... :popcorn

OK, a little progress. Got the interior as done as it's going to be. Precious little of it can be seen so I didn't feel obligated to go nuts on it. I didn't even use a shadow wash on it. There was no PE set for it that I could find but I did have a fret with German radios on it that I dress up the radio rack with and some harnesses for the pilots seats. Next step will be joining the fuselage halves.

290-b01.jpg

290-b02.jpg

290-b03.jpg

290-b04.jpg

I love the theater seating in the back :laugh:

Nice progress Gary . Only PE I have ever seen for this kit are the radar antennas .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back