• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

James O'Leary's Charlie Don't Surf Redux entries

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Hello All,

I'm not sure what I can actually get completed within the short time limit of this build,
but to get things started I am going with a simple 2 or 3 figure vignette. This one will
be titled, "I got him!" or something to that effect. Basically it is a US Infantryman
standing over a dead NVA or VC letting the others in his unit know that he actually hit
one. The Infantryman is a conversion of several Bravo 6 kits. What I wanted to capture
is that the uniform is a size too big, hence the once rolled sleeve cuffs. He is lightly
equipped to show that the duration of the patrol is considered to be a short one. The
ejection port cover is open to show that the weapon has actually been fired. He is going
to be wearing a locally made ERDL boonie hat. He is giving another Soldier who is out of
view of the audience a "thumbs up" that things are OK.

Here is the photo with the date on it. I started before I remembered that I needed one
of these for the start of the build. As you can see, I did not get far.

DSC05277.JPG

This is the basic layout of the scene, except that I am going to reposition the dead
NVA or VC so the head is facing the far left corner away from the viewer. He is going
to be on a slight rise in the ground.

Here is a pretty decent view of the Infantryman.

DSC05282.JPG

Here is a view of the mannequin of the dead NVA or VC prior to fleshing it out.

DSC05284.JPG

Here is a side view of the GI and the dead NVA/VC. Notice the natural curve of his spine
and neck showing fatigue as well as alertness.

DSC05299.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the fleshed out mannequin. Over the next few days I
will be adding clothing and equipment.
DSC05321.JPG

DSC05322.JPG

I may add another figure or two, or perhaps not. It all depends on how much time I have
available to complete it. I am trying to have it completed by the Lone Star Figure Show
at the end of March.

Cheers,
James

Hey James O, you know I'm a big fan.
Your project is looking cool.
Looking forward to seeing it and you at the Dallas show.

alex wence de leon

Thanks for the positive comments. It is keeping me motivated in getting this completed.
I have finished sculpting the pants. I think they turned out well and should paint well,
too. I took some pictures, but they did not turn out very clear. I am going to work on
the gear and shirt over the next couple of days. I am going to be attending ModelFiesta
31 in San Antonio this weekend, so my goal is to have this figure ready for painting after
that particular show.

Alex, looking forward to see you at the Dallas show, too. If you happen to go to Model
Fiesta 31, I'll see you there as well. I don't have anything new to display there, so
it will be the same figures, vignettes and dioramas as the AMPS CENTEX show.

Next time I post, I will have some pictures of the progress of the figure.

Cheers,
James

Well, right off the bat, it's easy for the new guy (me) to see that there is no shortage of talent here at MA! Looking forward to watching you bring these guys to life James! Well, one of them anyway :D

Jeff.

Thanks for the positive comments. It is keeping me motivated in getting this completed.
I have finished sculpting the pants. I think they turned out well and should paint well,
too. I took some pictures, but they did not turn out very clear. I am going to work on
the gear and shirt over the next couple of days. I am going to be attending ModelFiesta
31 in San Antonio this weekend, so my goal is to have this figure ready for painting after
that particular show.

Alex, looking forward to see you at the Dallas show, too. If you happen to go to Model
Fiesta 31, I'll see you there as well. I don't have anything new to display there, so
it will be the same figures, vignettes and dioramas as the AMPS CENTEX show.

Next time I post, I will have some pictures of the progress of the figure.

Cheers,
James

James, yes i will see you at the show.

alex wence de leon

Hello All,

Well, I said that the next time I post, I will have some pictures, so here
are some that I took yesterday afternoon. In these photos you will see that
I changed the directional orientation of the dead NVA/VC. Also in these pictures
one can see the trousers sculpted with Magic Sculpt. The putty worked well for
sculpting the folds in the clothing and the working time was about 2 hours before
it hardened to the point where it was no longer maliable. I thought it would
have cured a bit better, and the reason I say that is that after the putty had
cured, I thought I would be able to scrape or sand without chunks of putty coming
off which was not the case. I tried to correct some of the spots with Squadron
Green Putty, but I do not have pictures of that yet.

In these photos I have the NVA/VC armed with an AK47. Last night I attempted to
sculpt a chestrig, but it just wasn't working out, so he will be armed with an
SKS instead along with an SKS ammo rig. I actually think that will work out better
as I can show more of the shirt detail with a smaller rig.

Keep in mind that the groundwork will be built up and the body will conform to the
so there will not be a gap between the figure and the base.

DSC05335.JPG

DSC05336.JPG

DSC05337.JPG

DSC05338.JPG

DSC05339.JPG

In this photo, I set the NVA/VC beside the US Infantryman to compare their heights in
scale. As you can see, this is a pretty good representation of the differences in
height that was normally encountered there.

DSC05341.JPG

That's all for now, folks.

Cheers,
James

I've been pretty busy lately as my unit just received notice that we are going to Afghanistan
really soon, so it has created alot of extra work in order to get the unit ready due to our
compressed time schedule. We were originally scheduled for a deployment at the end of this
year and that got cancelled, so this came as a surprize. Unfortunately, that leaves very
little time for modeling and I am going to miss the Lone Star Figure Show because I have to
be at some planning and coordination meetings during that time. What a bummer!

I am still going to attempt to finish this project prior to having to leave.

Here is how far I have gotten so far in regards to the painting of the American Infantryman.
I still need to paint the rest of his equipment, hands, rifle, boots, and dirt. I painted
the boonie hat in colors that very closely match a locally made green dominant ERDL camouflage
boonie hat that my father brought back from Vietnam. I copied the camouflage pattern as close
to the exact squiggles and splotches as I possibly could.

The following pictures show the figure from various angles as well as the boonie hat.

DSC05496.JPG

DSC05497.JPG

DSC05498.JPG

DSC05500.JPG

DSC05502.JPG

DSC05441.JPG

Hopefully I will be off this weekend so I can concentrate on finishing this figure so
I can move on to the rest of the project.

Take care and have a great day.

Cheers,
James

Tough news on your unit, please keep safe!!

Figure is looking great James, looking forward to your progress this weekend. :popcon

Looking great James. When you get to the "garden spot" keep your head down and chin up and come back safe.
James

Wow the trooper looks great!! Nice job on the boonie camo pattern. (y)

Terry B)

Hello All,

Two weekends ago I had the chance to work on this figure again. In these pictures you can
see that the equipment has been painted, grenades painted, M16 painted (now you can see the
bolt in the open ejection port), dirt on the uniform and equipment, and the boots painted.

I was really hoping to have this figure and perhaps the dead VC completed in time for the
Lone Star Figure Show so I could at least have someone enter them by proxy, but unfortunately
things got really busy due to the deployment, so this is as far as I have gotten. Perhaps I
will have the vignette completed in the next few weeks so I can at least leave knowing I
completed it.

I think this figure turned out fairly well. There were some things that I saw that needed
touching up after I viewed these pictures. While touching up a fold on the right arm, a
finger broke off the flash hider on the M16. After saying several bad words and failing to
find the broken piece, I ended up taking a flash hider off another rifle and mounted it on
in it's place. It actually worked out for the better because I was able to hollow out the
barrel a bit better than the one in these pictures.

DSC05534.JPG

DSC05535.JPG

DSC05536.JPG

DSC05539.JPG

DSC05541.JPG

DSC05542.JPG

DSC05543.JPG

When I get back from this planning conference that I am at, I will be working a little
bit each night trying to get the vignette completed.

Cheers,
James

Hello All!

Life has been pretty hectic ever since we received our extremely short notice for
our upcoming deployment so the time available for me to work on this project has
been quite minimal. Because of this, I opted to forego completing the dead NVA/VC
that I had started to sculpt and sent with creating a wedge-like part of a dead VC
to give the viewer the impression of a dead enemy Soldier while keeping within the
limits of the base. Finally it is done! I wish it could have been completed by
the time of the Lone Star Figure Show so I could have had my wife enter it by
proxy since I had to be at Camp Shelby at the time of the show, but at least it
is finished. Unfortunately, this will be the last project I complete until I
return from deployment.

Below are pictures of the vignette from various angles and sizes. The American
Infantryman is wearing the 2d pattern jungle fatigues and standard M1956 web gear
along with jungle boots and a locally purchased ERDL camouflage boonie hat. The
ejection port cover is still open and the bolt is forward after having fired some
rounds at the VC that his unit came across while on patrol. It took a little
while for the exchange of gunfire between forces ended allowing a pool of blood
to start forming under the dead VC. He is giving the "thumbs up" sign to one of
his fellow Soldiers to indicate that he made it through the firefight OK.

In the pictures you can see the exact pattern of the ERDL camouflage that I had
copied directly from a boonie hat that my father brought back from Vietnam, the
markings on the smoke grenade, dirt on the uniform, dirty scuffed up boots, exit
wounds coming out the back of the VC, and the pool of blood forming under him.

The groundwork is terra cota miliput textured with an old toothbrush, paper jungle
jungle plants from J's Work, and various dried flower and plant products from
craft stores.

Here are the pictures.

DSC05717.JPG

DSC05722.JPG

DSC05728.JPG

DSC05625.JPG

DSC05684.JPG

DSC05687.JPG

DSC05688.JPG

DSC05689.JPG

DSC05692.JPG