• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

It's a duck !

What a cool plane! :coolio It's already looking good at this point, so I'm betting on a very nice "finale"! (y)

BTW, your avatar is something else! :ro:

Cheers! B)

I missed the start of your adventure, so just caught up to you.

Like the others said Great Job. It certainly looks like a duck :hmmm wondering if it sounds like a... Never mind :D

have to file away that brass pin trick for a future build.
for the "tiny tape" :laugh: this guy has it in stock ScaleFinishes

Thanks Chuck & Prop Duster . Perhaps misadventures would be more appropriate :unsure:

At any rate, thanks for the tape tip.

Cheers, Christian B)

Ok, when you started this with a vote I pushed for the George. After all this the Geo would
be a walk in the park.
Fantastic job!
Big cheer from the sidelines Chris!!

Mike B)

Hi Mike. I cannot possibly agree with you more ! B) Unfortunately I went with the majority instead of fear and common sense . :(

Never the less, if I ever get finished I will be glad for the Duck in the collection .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Chuck, Mike Fernao and crop duster for the words of encouragement.

This is the worst fight I have ever been in with a hunk of plastic. Worse even than the Airfix Hudson that I recall from way back. :)

This is really three steps forward and two back. Sometimes three or four.

Anyhow there has been some progress as little fun as it may have been.

The Duck being coated with Future it seemed to be a good time to apply some decals. This kit comes with a beautiful set.
The first two went on like a dream.

More_fun_with_the_Duck_004a.jpg

The third one came of the paper hand disintegrated the first time I tried to move it with the brush.
So, I pushed it back on the paper but could not save it. The others were none better. The sheet is date 1995 and was in a sealed plastic envelope . :(

More_fun_with_the_Duck_001a.jpg

I found some left over Hasegawa used them in the remaining positions. Not great but at least they worked OK.

More_fun_with_the_Duck_002a.jpg

More_fun_with_the_Duck_003a.jpg

Having the decals clear coated , I moved on to trying to learn how to simulate the laminated wood bumper on the float.

After trying three different methods I finally came up with one that looked descent but did not photograph well. Incidentally the tip tip chipped off even with the coat of Future.

More_fun_with_the_Duck_006b.jpg

I used Tamiya paint to patch the chip. Better luck next time I hope .

I believe this is the third time one of the elevators needed to be glued back on.
To preclude more frustration, I decided to pin them both with brass pins and save them for a latter assembly.

More_fun_with_the_Duck_005a.jpg

I then turned my attention to the the aft end of the main float. After sanding the wheel ( :S ) and gluing it to the spindly resin strut I prepared to install it. Not surprise when I did not find any reference points.
I had to get the Dremel and cut a slot in the float so as to insert the strut assembly .

Tail_gear_001a.jpg

From there, I looked at the doors which are way too thick. I scribed the outline on some spare PE fret and cut them out. ( a bit short I might add )

More_fun_with_the_Duck_009a.jpg

To my surprise the shape did not fit, so I made some from a picture on the internet and did a bit of shaping. They fit straight away .

More_fun_with_the_Duck_010a.jpg

This is my only good news at this point.

More_fun_with_the_Duck_011a.jpg

The upper wing is mounted and drying before I attempt to mount the inner stuts.

None of the objects are against it by mistake. It's only trying to keep them in place . A jig is very much needed for this build. :(

Please not, the carburetor intake has been knocked off five time now. Resin just does not attack to plastic that well .

More_fun_with_the_Duck_011b.jpg

That's all for today's misadventures . Comments and/or suggestions welcome.

Thanks for looking . Christian B)

Despite all your trials and tribulations Chris, I think its looking pretty sweet. Nicely done (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Back with a few new pictures.

Thanks, Bob, Joey, James and Dave for the kind words although I disagree with these words "She may be a bit difficult" Dave, this has been an all out street fight . :vmad

A year ago I bough this Prop jig and finally got to use it yesterday . Something about the assembly seems to have been out of kilter but it came out OK. Could have been operator error.

looking_Ducky_001a.jpg

Bear in mind that the hub is a separate piece and had to be drilled for this .020 shaft and then the blades were trimmed and glued in place.

At this point it has a coat of vallejo primmer on it.

Some more pieces were glued on.

Back to where I did the wooden bumper, brown stains ran under the tape so I had to strip and shoot more paint. :sick:

This time the blue was repaired using Tamiya colors. The Lifecolor being too much of a pain in the tail feathers

looking_Ducky_002a.jpg

Since most of the pin washes disappeared I went back over with Abteilung oil.

looking_Ducky_004a.jpg

It's starting to look Ducky but there is still much detail to do yet. :soldier

looking_Ducky_003a.jpg

Hope you enjoy. Comments welcomed . Christian B)

Chris it might be fighting you tooth and nail and you may not like people saying it doesnt look like its been a fight, but it really does look good. Its an example of your skill that we are seeing excellent work while you are seeing bitter fighting and agravation. So keep up the good fight while we enjoy the fruits of your labour. Well done (y) (y) (y)

Now about the prop guide. What are your thoughts? Is it worth the time and money to get one? Does it help ot can one do the job just the same without it? I've seen them, but never could decide if its something I needed to add to the arsenal of tools.
James

Back