• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Il-2M3 in 1/32

Just a quick update, still planning on making the deadline. I spent a lot of time in the past two weeks that I should have spent before starting, researching paint and paint schemes. The kit supplied scheme is bogus. I've spent a lot of time trying to match colors to FS paint chips and found it to be much harder than I ever imagined. Anyway for better or worse all the colors are on. After the photo was taken it was gloss coated and should be ready for decals and weathering tomorrow. More to come over the next couple of days.

il2-3m32-b30.jpg

Stickers on

il2-3m32-b31.jpg

A bit of weathering on the bottom

il2-3m32-b32.jpg

Still have about 5 hours of bench time available between now and the deadline so baring any catastrophes I still plan on finishing on time.

Stickers on

il2-3m32-b31.jpg

A bit of weathering on the bottom

il2-3m32-b32.jpg

Still have about 5 hours of bench time available between now and the deadline so baring any catastrophes I still plan on finishing on time.
Dangit, another missed update. Just means a double dose. Looks good Gary, glad you got your time planned out so well, looking forward to this completed. :pilot

Well, as is norm for me, I finished with just minutes to spare. Here are four shots, it's supposed to be sunny and warm here tomorrow and I'll try to get some better final shots in natural daylight.

Well, as is norm for me, I finished with just minutes to spare. Here are four shots, it's supposed to be sunny and warm here tomorrow and I'll try to get some better final shots in natural daylight.

il2-3m32-b33.jpg

il2-3m32-b34.jpg

il2-3m32-b35.jpg

il2-3m32-b36.jpg

Over all it was an enjoyable build. I'll add some more comments about the kit tomorrow when I post more photos.

The sun took even longer to make an appearance this morning than I did but as promised some photos in natural light (and not the bilge water beer with a similar name :D ) The low sun angle required me to shoot in some locations that did not have the best back ground.

il2-3m32-b37.jpg

il2-3m32-b38.jpg

One of the items included with the Eduard's set was the sighting lines for the windscreen glazings which add a nice touch.

il2-3m32-b39.jpg

I added the distinctive gear down indicators which were not included in the kit.

il2-3m32-b40.jpg

il2-3m32-b41.jpg

Although there is not much else in there besides the canvas strap seat the gun is nicely detailed and includes a flexible ammo chute.

il2-3m32-b42.jpg

il2-3m32-b43.jpg

il2-3m32-b44.jpg

il2-3m32-b45.jpg

My 2¢ on the kit is as follows; I give the kit a B+ for fit and ease of assembly, not up to current Tamiya standards but not bad, I did tweak things a bit here and there but used very little filler. The decals worked well and settled down nice with a little Micro-set, however Hobbyboss didn't do their home work and the decals are not all correct and there are some missing items, notably a 1 and small white star on the nose. Two of the stars broke during application but that may have been my fault. The instructions are OK but again Hobbyboss dropped the ball as the instructions lead you down the path to the 37mm cannon version which was not used on the 3M version, they also don't tell you that you need to cut opening in the wings for the correct 23mm cannons. The painting instructions are also wrong.

So my advise is if you want to build this kit, do your homework ! Go to Sovietwarplanes.com and research the colors and schemes before hand. Thanks for watching !

Back