• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IDF Build

MIDDLE EAST CAULDRON OF WAR campaign

We'll make this happen, give me a little time. I got a doctors excuse don't you know...:mpup

We should define a Theatre of Operations for "Middle East" to determine eligible subjects. Currently it is commonly defined as spanning from the western border of Egypt to the eastern border of Iran and from Turkey's northern border to the southern end of the Arabian Peninsula and includes the island of Cyprus.

At various times it has been expanded to include North African countries as far west as Morocco as well as those along the African shore of the Red Sea. The western border has also been placed along the Suez Canal, eliminating African countries. In the east, Afghanistan and Pakistan have been included.

To the north, there have been times that Turkey was not included and at times only the Asian portion of Turkey.

For consideration.

Cheers,
Rich

We'll make this happen, give me a little time. I got a doctors excuse don't you know...:mpup

No worries boss. I need a week anyway to get through the Mk IV. This will be a fun build to work through as I weather my king tiger. Something about watching paint dry springs to mind. :ro:

I am most definitely in, as Long as airplanes in 1/72 are accepted.

Cheers

Alex

You should try an armor subject for a change Alex, you might find that you like it.

You should try an armor subject for a change Alex, you might find that you like it.

Well, Paul, I know nothing about armored vehicles. I probably could recognize a T-34, a Tiger and a Leopard but that is about it. I have always enjoyed airplanes and to a lesser extent ships (mostly aircraft carriers).

I will follow your Suggestion and try now to build some trucks for the BOB Diorama in the Pilot Campaign. Then I will let you know how it goes. As for this campaign, there are way to many cool IAF planes to choose from - also arab choices are almost endless. I thought about a Macchi Mc-205 Veltro in Egyptian Colors. how about it?

Cheers

Alex

We should define a Theatre of Operations for "Middle East" to determine eligible subjects. Currently it is commonly defined as spanning from the western border of Egypt to the eastern border of Iran and from Turkey's northern border to the southern end of the Arabian Peninsula and includes the island of Cyprus.

At various times it has been expanded to include North African countries as far west as Morocco as well as those along the African shore of the Red Sea. The western border has also been placed along the Suez Canal, eliminating African countries. In the east, Afghanistan and Pakistan have been included.

To the north, there have been times that Turkey was not included and at times only the Asian portion of Turkey.

For consideration.

Cheers,
Rich

That is a very good point Rich, thanks for pointing that out. I for one cannot imagine the Middle East without considering Egypt as a part of the whole intrinsic problematic of the Region. As for Pakistan, I see it as a bit of a Stretch - it belongs to the Indian subcontinent in my view.

Cheers

Alex

I would say Pakistan and Afganistan is more part of Asia Egypt does have ground above the Suez Canal but also historicly its is seen as part of both Africa and middle east

Hey Flyingbabydoc.....1/72 aircraft are A-OK!

Ok, now this started as IDF, then it's antagonists, and including the time prior to modern Israel is OK if people want to go do that, but modern Israel and it's antagonists are the mainstay.. So bearing that in mind, here is how I see it, boundaries-wise (not trying to be too fussy, but we do have to have some boundaries):

Timeframe - Primarily 1930's-present (the struggle for what is now Israel began in 1936, FWIW), older considered though (trireme, chariot, Roman centurion, etc).

Area/Countries - (Note that I am using modern countries as reference): Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, and of course, Israel.

Subjects - Armor, Aircraft (fixed & rotary wing, prop to jet), & shipping too (if there are any kits out there to support it, I'm game), figures

Think about it:
ARMOR - in the period between 1936 to 1948 war, a host or armored cars and "custom built" armored cars were used, along with various light tanks & early war tanks, plus a host of jeep-like vehicles from all nations, such as the US, Britain, USSR, France, and Germany. WW2 armor too, including some notable standouts like Shermans, Cromwells, Archers, T-34/85, & SU-100's. Post 1948 through modern times included Syrian Panzer IV & Stug III's. Egypt used a whole host of WW2 equipment and the Israelis used any darn thing they could lay hands on, like French made copies of the US Willys jeep, armed with Czech-made MG-34's. And after the '56 war, armor from the US and France (and french up-gunned versions of old Shermans) and the like were heavily used.

AIRCRAFT - My goodness, everything from early Czech fighters pieced together, to transports of various types, and bombers, like the B-17, the P-51, the Glouster Meteor, the Fouga Magister and other aircraft, along with Cobra and MD500 helicopters and a host of aircraft I cannot even imagine were used and are still used.

Those are just two basic subjects. I have been thinking of a way to have a series of ribbons, similar to the Vietnam campaign and running for a year at least.

Historicly I. Have to disagree the big problem started with the Balfour Declaration and other promises the English made to Arab peoples to help them fight the Ottoman Empire in WW1 and the subsequent walking back of the Balfour Declaration and the breaking up of the Middle East By england and France post WW1 In a very big way WW1 started of the fighting we still see in the middle east.

Historicly I. Have to disagree the big problem started with the Balfour Declaration and other promises the English made to Arab peoples to help them fight the Ottoman Empire in WW1 and the subsequent walking back of the Balfour Declaration and the breaking up of the Middle East By england and France post WW1 In a very big way WW1 started of the fighting we still see in the middle east.

Yes, the Balfour Declaration took place in 1917, but was not adopted by the League of Nations until 1922. Violence did flare periodically, most natbly a large Jewish community in Hebron being burned, but I cited 1936, as it was the first "Arab Revolt" to Jews living in what was then called Palestine, and a direct affront and attempt to cause Britain to change it's policy from the Balfour Declaration, and it contained specific goals it wanted to achieve. As this was the first unified 'revolt' against the Jews, 1936 is used as the start point of the struggle still going on today.

Actually, it was on April 15,1936, when Arabs stopped and hi-jacked a small convoy of Jewish trucks on thier way from Haifa to Tel Aviv, excecuting the two Jewish drivers, two random Arabs were killed the next day, and so it began

Ok, GAME On.

Start'em up now.

Far as I'm concern it can be any time period to now. Seems like there's always been war on in the Middle East since time started.

Well I have these three un-started kits

tanks with extra blocks on them are always cool
IMG_1352.JPG

Real thing
06~1.jpg

Iraqi tanks are nice weathering subjects
IMG_1353.JPG

Real thing
IRAQI_Type59_Iraq.jpg

As are Iranian tanks
IMG_1354.JPG

Real thing
Iranian_Chieftan.jpg

neat stuff Sherman! Hey, it occurs to me that, as "IRAQ" is one of the combatants mentioned, you could actually build a modern Iraq-war model, As in US in Iraq. Or Lebanon, as we did have a presence there.

Ok what you guys think of these Only real way to do such a multitude of ribbons with a similar theme
BASIC ribbon

hf9c127b.png

and then rest self explanatory If you dont see a ribbon scream and I will make one for you

hfd2100c.png

h807a881.png

hb1b0155.png

h15e5700.png

h415f0a8.png

h37bbdbe.png

hd909f74.png

h4a2384c.png

h0da2d3e.png

hc7720dd.png

hd710603.png

Back