• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I have been tasked by SWMBO to discover...

Barney

(SWMBO She Who Must Be Obeyed)

This has probably been asked, but where do you build models, and why there? I had a tiny bedroom that I was using until The Packing (have I mentioned that I hate moving?). I have also built in the basement. So where and why there?

She may come up with more questions as we explore how to accommodate me in our new abode.

I have a room in the basement but I moved all of my stuff except airbrush up to the dining room table because my knee and back are shot. It worked for me and I got more modeling done than when in the basement. Unfortunately last year I got kicked out of the dining room and had to move everything down to my room in the basement. Now I finds it hard to go down to build again. I did move a few things back to the dining room table to paint figures and it should be easy to move when needed. So short story long, the basement.
James

1597022176230.png

Detached garage. I can generate all sorts of fumes with no complaints. :stinker:

I get the entire upstairs of the garage...split into two rooms. One room is the gym and model shelf space...and the other is the shop to build in...I also have a nook upstairs near the wife's desk...for building. But all spraying happens up in the garage.

Last edited:
I'm Jealous! I like the idea of a totally separate space, but doubt that will ever happen.

SWMBO actually LIKES the fumes. Crazy, right? I saw a space, several years ago, that was three 10X20 garden type buildings connected, powered, HVAC, insulated, and on a slab. That might just be the ticket!

Who am I kidding! I'm probably going tot he basement.

I'm Jealous! I like the idea of a totally separate space, but doubt that will ever happen.
The problem I have with the garage is it's a destination. I really think that if I had a room in the house I could probably get more done. You can slip into the hobby room, work on something 10-15 minutes, get called away for whatever chore that pops up and then come back. Going to the garage is an announced trip, once there i'm kinda isolated but getting the time to go seems to be an issue for me. Or maybe I just need to man up and dictate.... :bat
Yeah, we'll see how that works.... :bang head

When we bought the house 22 years ago, I eyeballed the walkup attic for a playroom for the kids. By the time I go around to actually doing it, I rediscovered modeling so split it into a bench area for me and playroom for them. Now it's currently just mine, bench on one side, studio on other. Problem is it's useless during the summer months when the roof bakes in teh hot sun. Great otherwise, insulated and cozy. Just wish I put in a sink before I closed everything up since I replumbed anyway, it would have been an easy task.

But in hindsight, I had no idea how involved I would eventually get. Back then I barely had a spare hour or two a week with young kids, full time job as well as another 30 or so hours a week working on the house.

This might sound like a joke but "anywhere i can find enough space to put my cutting mat" :) is the answer
in the UK fewer and fewer could afford to own property. I have a room i live in, run the business from and everything else. Its about 18' x 16' :)
The UK is now massively over populated, 65m of us balanced on an island the size of California. They did build some 2 bedroom flats in town which they called starter homes that were £395000 each :) (about $520,000 USD)

Everything is in a storage room on the lower level (walk out type basement) at the moment. Half storage half model stuff. However, being a recent widow I pretty much have the house to myself. Just have a 20 year old still living on the other side of the lower level. I'm still in the process of going through stuff and figuring out what to keep and what to get rid of. Once I'm done sorting I will probably convert one of the spare bedrooms upstairs into a hobby room. My big display case is currently in my bedroom until that happens. That would have never happened under the former war department.

They did build some 2 bedroom flats in town which they called starter homes that were £395000 each :) (about $520,000 USD)

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the Donkey! For half a Mil I can get a really nice home on Lake Erie.

Dave, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy to lose any member of your family, I cannot fathom how I would deal with losing Carol.

Heck around here in Memphis (or Tulsa Oklahoma) $350k will buy a huge house with a large 2 car or maybe 3 car garage. AND a decent sized yard!

I have a room in the basement. I'm on one side with the hobby room, the wife has the other side with her wood shop.

That is so cool! A woodshop for your wife! Carol says she feels like such a wimp! She only does commercial sewing in her room; Anglican Vestments, Altar Cloths, things like that, AND 12 bazillion Covid Masks... but she gives those away

Right now I've got my main desk set up in the "library"...but once I get the floors done in one of the spare bedrooms, that room becomes the hobby room where all my modeling and sim racing equipment will be relocated too. At the moment I do my spraying in the mudroom (on top of the washer/dryer) in front of a box fan w/ filter exhausting out the window. But if I end up building a bench in the hobby room instead of using the current desk, then I'll actually be able to move my spray operations into the building location.

However I should probably mention that I also don't have a war department that I have to clear plans through. Full dictatorship here.....the cat runs the show. :lol:

I work in a small bedroom off the laundry room. It was once a maid's bedroom long, long ago, and before my time. I used to work in the basement in what was called the "Trunk room". I had set it up with Ikea cabinets and such but the basement flooded and was totally redone and I lost my space.
Workbench 1.jpg

I have my own workshop setup for building , painting and my art. I also have my stash dungeon as a separate room off this as well. It all exists inside but downstairs under the kitchen with windows that look out onto a forest.
Lockdown has not bothered me at all, just gave me more time in my workshop. It actually has given me more time to make some further adjustments to what I did in 2016 and in 2018.
workshop 2020b.jpg
workshop 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Back