• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hurry Home Honey

I think I read somewhere about a problem with the rudder lining up on this kit but that sure does look like a short run on the stabilizer.

Think James is right, milliput and sand to shape. :popcorn

A good modeling buddy of mine gave me a couple of ideas on how to repair this set of tail feathers. I(ll probably get this one going again also. Right now I have two things that need to be finished by next Tuesday and then Ill get back to the P-38 and this babe. :pilot

I have this friend, see. He sort of gave me some ideas and together we fixed the tail of this thing and so I added some filler and corrected the foibles of this bird. We cut a portion of plastic from the vertical stab and then all the unnecessary gaps and protrusions.

so this is how it looks now and soon the P-51 will be back on track so the P-38 is hangared for a while

well the Hobby's most unbuildable kit. To soften the riverine panel lines I made a sludge from Tamiya putty and extra thin and filled the panel lines in. This took about three days of filling and sanding to get them mostly done. I also filled in the wings and left the gun access panel showing.

I did some die grinding and filling to get the wings to fit so-so and cussin and discussin with a couple of friends about what some of these mystery holes and access are but thats for another thread.
Any way, I should be done with this by the time next June rolls around.

spray the sucker Paul,. remember - think - and think twice before committing - just do your best bud!!

thanks for your kind words on my latest two builds :drinks

I've read it is a very hard kit to build, but its coming along nice. I cant help but be impressed with the paint rack though. You should post that in Sprue University Tools
That is genius. I know what I'm looking for this weekend on shopping day (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

well I got tired of looking at this thing in gray primer so a thought I would add some color to it. Too bad I didnt have any OD but Okie engine-nu-ety and I mixed some that comes really close. I really pondered over using the alclad but the surface wasnt that smooth and I wanst going to polish it to that super smooth and glossy surface that was required.

After all the experimenting on this build I can truly say I'll be looking forward to the ZM P-51. Now my biggest concern are the stripes on the fuse. The wings don't carry them only the unit wing and tail plane stripes are shown.

Well. I sure hope that you can get the gist of where I want to go with this one, if I get there thats another story.

hf7eadb4.JPG

hdfe995c.JPG

h17bffd9.JPG

h2b9f6be.JPG

You talking about the ETO stripes? You know, this has been something i've been thinking about with my masking woes. You could make a decal strip.

The OD looks like, OD :good:

You talking about the ETO stripes? You know, this has been something i've been thinking about with my masking woes. You could make a decal strip.

The OD looks like, OD :good:

There are already ETO stripes in the kits decals. My biggest worry are the invasion stripes. I'll overcome though.

Now my biggest concern are the stripes on the fuse. The wings don't carry them only the unit wing and tail plane stripes are shown.

what did you use for the silver? - not Alclad so why not just mask the fuse and spray the stripes.

Another way - now to late to do but for future projects - spray the stripes First, mask them up and leave them masked until the painting is all done.

MP - spray them First - then mask those and do your Alclad.

As Charlie Brown once said,
Arrrrrrrggggghhhh
Well slow and steady wins the race or something like that. while I was putting the windscreen on the Mustang I broke it in twain, drats and double drats, that is frustrating as hell. :S :S :S :S So I went to the P-38 and as I was reaching for it I knocked it off of the desk top to have it crash down in a few choice pieces and some parts haven't been located yet. I I bang my head against the wall :bang head :bang head :bang head and I have nothing yet to go through to the completion of the build with so I must shop for something that is less frustrating. Something different, of which armor will not be there and as much as I thought about arty that won't be happening anytime soon either. I'll come up with something I should guess as to what, there in lies the mystery.

Back