• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hurricane Laura

Gator

I’ve seen many hurricanes in my 51 years living on the gulf coast but never one like this. This was bad. So much damage. Power crews and tree crews are working everywhere. They are from as far away as New York state. Our mobile home is damaged beyond repair. And because it was so old we could insure it. Only things insured are the contents.
118651A8-CD80-41EB-9A23-B5EB9F6D23F3.jpeg
0051E203-271D-4F21-9351-02BBF10493AB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on another site. Kenny has also set up a GoFundMe page. I've already given some of what little I have left because Kenny deserves it.

Here's a link to his page:

Kenny, my prayers go up for you as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Kenny. :blink

Since your posting, I'm assuming you and the fam are ok, at least as much as you can be. I'll try to remember to kick a little something your way when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully things don't take too long to get situated again. I couldn't even begin to wrap my head around what I would need to do if my home was wiped out.

Paul, my bad. I guess I was so eager to get the link posted that I didn't do what I needed to. Thanks Bob for fixing it.

Kenny, still praying for you and I also posted this link for your GoFundMe page to other Forums I frequent.

We’re doing okay. We evacuated Wednesday to my best friend’s house in Katy. We are staying with my brother for now but have lined up a place to stay until we can move a new modular house in. This weekend we have friends coming in to help us pack and another good friend has a house that was in the middle of a remodel that we can store our things in. Today we had some nice people my sister in law knows come and get almost all the debris out of the backyard. What they did in 5 hours would have taken me several days with heat indexes in the 110 range. Trying to not spend too much money. There are several groups and churches down here cooking and providing cleaning supplies. But we still have to buy gas for the generator. Sometimes it is quicker to drive 30-40 minutes into Texas to get gas. It’s just our new crazy normal right now. Attached is a photo of most of the debris that was in our yard.

F793888D-31A3-4025-BB36-66A7EBA65F45.jpeg

Last edited:
Isn't it wonderful how communities step up. I bet those church dinners are off the hook! We'll keep spreading the word Kenny. : :hummm:

Kenny, it's great to see people stepping up to help out. I wish I could be there to help as well. Looks like things are well in hand; I'm thrilled to see prayers answered.

We’re taking it a day at a time. One of the things we love about living here in south Louisiana is the way the people come together to help each other out. It’s just who we are. My brother-in-law got together with his brother and they are letting us stay at their dad’s place. He is in assisted living. We can stay there until we get a new home moved in. We would like to do a modular home, which is a site built home trucked in, but we can do a manufactured home also because everything new has to be built to hurricane standards.

We are trying to stay upbeat. We had a good laugh today going to pick up lunch from one of the dozens of organizations providing meals. We passed by the Catholic school in town and noticed the plastic slat sign on the fence was undamaged. We laughed because the storm that peeled our roof like an orange could blow slats out of a chain link fence.
0977873A-48CC-4DDB-AAC4-A5B662076089.jpeg

Last edited:
We witnessed similar damage and a coming together of people in Teresa's home town of Marion, Iowa following our less media-covered Midwestern "Cat-4 Hurricane" in Iowa on the 10th. We have a comfy double wide home for sale. It will have a new roof and skirting soon! It IS a long way from Louisiana, my Brother. Keep the Faith! Prayers for our Southern Brethren!

Hey guys! We were able to move into my brother in law’s dad’s place while we go through the process of getting rid of the old mobile home and get a modular house moved in. My greatest fear was what it was going to cost to demo the house. Well, Renee found a company that will pay us to demo and haul away. I told I don’t care what their offer is, we’ll take it! As long as it doesn’t cost me I’m fine with it.
We are only able to have on service dog with us at the new place. We had the pups at a friend’s house but their neighbor decided to be a pain and got the neighborhood homeowners association to request the dogs be moved. Fortunately another friend who does animal rescue said we could bring them to his house. We built a 20’ x 70’ enclosure for the pups and moved them there. Another friend gave us two dog houses so the pups can get out of the weather.
So, while it not perfect, things are looking good.

Back