• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Twelve O'Clock High.

ausf

Master at Arms
I've been reading Masters Of the Air, a phenomenal book about the 8th Air Force.

It mentions the authors of Twelve O'Clock High since they were there in the thick of it and it got me to go back and watch the film. I hadn't seen it in years, I watched it whenever it was on TV, but I remember being put off by all the talk and little action and when there was combat footage, it was actual footage. This was at the time the Monogram model came out (with the Shep Paine pamphlet) and I wanted to see action, not what looked like newsreel stuff.

Of course now, as an adult I was riveted to it as well as the dialog, especially while reading the book.

One thing that struck me that I never appreciated before, they actually crashed a '17 on camera. This isn't an effects shot, it's a real belly landing, destroying the props and bunch more I'm sure. Granted the film was released in '49, so probably shot in 47-48 so 17s were most likely being given away, but still. Then later, there are scenes with Peck walking in front of turning props. Now I understand staging, camera angles and forced perspective, but he's trying to climb into the plane a few feet away from the turning engines. Then right after, they're all in the jeep while the wings of the taxiing 17s roll overhead. I can't imagine the insurance costs of that, an A list star.

I had to order a book that covers the writing of the novel, as well as filming of the movie and TV series. I wanted to read the book itself, but even mass market paperbacks are going well north of $200 a copy.

If you get a chance to read Masters Of the Air, do it. Spielberg and Hanks are using it to make their next series like BOB and The Pacific. I knew about the 8th a bit, but never realized how bad it really was. The book ties it all in with the battle of the Atlantic and how the early crew's chance of survival was less than that of being diagnosed with advanced cancer, basically 1 in 10.

Oh, I also had to order the new HK Model 1/48 17G, you , just because.

that movie was used in leadership management and training in the navy. I have been through that about umpteen times. It is one of the most iconic movies there is. I used to flock to the weekly series as a youngster.

Great movie & neat book! If you seriously in to the 8th AF, get the book MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY. It is by no means cheap, but is literally their diary, mission by mission. Makes a great Bday or Xmas request!

that movie was used in leadership management and training in the navy. I have been through that about umpteen times. It is one of the most iconic movies there is. I used to flock to the weekly series as a youngster.

I forgot about this: I was a big Montreal Canadiens fan growing up (and in my 30s too) and part of the playoff folklore was they skipped a practice and went to see the film as a team when it was in the theater.

I don't remember the series, but found they entire thing online that'll I'll work my way through.

Great movie & neat book! If you seriously in to the 8th AF, get the book MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY. It is by no means cheap, but is literally their diary, mission by mission. Makes a great Bday or Xmas request!

Just ordered it used in fine condition from Abebooks for $20.

Yes excellent movie, always wondered how they got up in that hatch.

I always like the scene where General Savage stops the car and has a smoke with the driver just outside the gate. When done they go in with him in full game mode burning 5 feet off everyone's tail surface...

If I'm not mistaken stunt pilot extraordinaire Paul Mants was the one who belly in that B17, something that was well covered in the flight manual which was featured in the book Flying Fortress by Edward Jablonski.

Last edited:
Hey, man, it was like only ONE tent..and he made a better scene by doing it. I bet the director paid him extra under the table. You have to remember that in Air Mail he flew through a hangar.

I have the movie on DVD. One of the best movie. Two TV shows I had to watch as a teenager was 12 O clock High(Fri. night) and Combat (Tues. night) with Vic Morrow. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

I have the book on the way, but I agree Pup, the camera was there for the shot, why would it be on this side of the tents if they weren't supposed to be in the frame. Besides, I think if you're bringing down one of those, you've got the area well marked off. It's not like it was Ed Wood directing this.

Is this a test Bob? Frank Tallman, Paul Mantz's partner in Tallmantz Aviation. Otherwise known as Movieland of the Air. Like Neil Williams, the great English Aerobatic pilot, Tallman died in a stupid weather accident in his Aztec. But though both Tallman and Mantz died in airplanes, they were both somewhat on in years when it happened to them, 62 for Mantz and 59 for Tallman. So if they weren't totally old and bold, they were certainly close to it.

Back