• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HMS Nancy War of 1812 Canadian Schooner.

If the Big plans come with a scale, I can easily scale down the Cape Islander. I could almost cheat and convert one of the Corsair boats from the Bermuda Lighthouse set. Then again, I think Stan deserves a brand new master.

HMS Antelope was lost in 1784. If Barrett's Sloop is the same vessel, I cain't say.
HMS Firefly was a captured Spanish schooner named Antelope. She better fits the timeline of the War of 1812. I wonder if the People of Stan Rogers homeland know, in fact, where the name Captain Barrett's Antelope sloop actually came from. :bm::hmm:

20211119_131543.jpg
Greg is as good as his word! The BIG plans arrived from Canadia in good order. Wobble-Kitty Berlin seems willing to assist. Teresa bade me not to let him glue anything. 1/16th scale Cape Islander shouldn't be too hard to scale down. (oh sure! Then me shiite will turn purple and smell like rainbow sherbet!) Perhaps this silly project expands my title to "Custodian of Maritime Model Minutia" as well. :silly:
Until the next nautical idea rents space in my rickety bwain. :frantic:
Thanks for looking in! :victory:

20211125_134614.jpg
A couple of P/E ports at the stern and a tiny nameplate and Nancy will be ready to mold, unless I decide to try to improve her bowsprit. (ME?!?) Her figurehead will be up to the modeler to add. Like 1/2 of a 1/700 photo-etched brass torso would do! The ratline platforms are oversized on purpose. Trim these to fit after installing the standing rigging. Should be a snap!:dance:

20211205_160239.jpg
Sporting a new, more Royal Navy looking bowsprit, The schooner Nancy stands ready to mold. She was started in September of this year and in less that 3 months is a finished Master. I can't say how many more sailing ships I will make. The third USS Enterprise and perhaps Lord Thomas Cochrane's HMS Speedy. :bm::bang head
The Antelope sloop is building. She's a figment of Stan Rogers imagination, so I can pretty much do as I please with Her.
"A letter of Marque came from the King to scummiest vessel I've ever seen. "
Antelope should be FUN! Not one reference to be a enslaved to!

A bigger pressure pot is on the way, so size will be a little less of a limiting factor for molding and casting. Or with TWO pressure pots operating?????? MUHHU HAHA HAhaha!
Thanks, you Men. For tuning in to view my process of creating this microcosm of obscure Canadian naval history.

The "kindly Cape Islander" will likely be a 40-footer. Perhaps like the boat "Dear Ol' Stan" was saving up for before his untimely demise in 1983. His brother Garnet says she would likely have been named the Jeannie C.

Keep yer stick on the ice. We're all in this together. I'm pullin' for ya!

20211224_184609.jpg
While I wait for the next silly-assed Moonbat Idea to pop into my old noggin, I made a little progress on the Antelope sloop.
I didn't think I would make many more sailing ship models. They are really time consuming and I wonder what kind of appeal they might have to waterline ship model makers. You can bet your sweet bippy I won't make 12 sets of TLAR anything this time!
20211224_093006.jpg
Then I received these for Christmas. BOTH of Theodore's books! My second favorite President after Ronald Reagan. Who can predict what bits of Naval minutia will be spawned by reading Mr. Roosevelts accounts!?! Heaven alone knows.:drunks: :drink:silly:

Thanks again for looking in!
:salute::skipper::oldguy:

20220116_151549.jpg20220119_182105.jpg
The "Party Balloons" surrounded the Antelope sloop. The forward rails were "convinced" to keep their bend around the bow, without snapping and glued in place. I found a hatch grating that fit between the gun ports that I had already made up. BONUS!
2 forward, 2 aft and 3 gun ports on each side adorn the Antelope. Stan never did say how many "cracked 4-pounders" his fictitious Sloop was armed with. With the railings installed and shaped so 1/700 water would run off them, the hard part of the Sloop master is done. :yipee:
Onward to applying interesting details that also aren't founded in fact!
sloop__1_.jpg
Her masts and rigging should resemble the above picture. The hull obviously will not.
:salute:
:capsmiley:
:oldguy:

20220128_170748.jpg
I did some organizing and cleaning while looking for a mold I KNEW I had. Look at all the old stuff! White castings are Alumalite resin from the earliest days of casting. The creme colored castings are early Smooth-on resin, before I started using a pressure pot. The original ice machine was a separate part from the 1/700 USCG YR barge. Why did I do THAT? :bm:
Some of the other rudimentary castings like Zodiacs and RHI boats may find usefulness as bits of other sets.:hmm:
Casting quality and uniformity has improved a lot in 7 years. I trashed a whole bunch of bubble filled, sloppy castings to make room for other models. None of this could ever be sold in good conscience.
20220129_094534.jpg20220129_003654.jpg
Since she is another of Stan Rogers' Canadian boats, it seemed fitting to put the Cape Islander in this thread.
She started as a boat from the 1/700 USCG Island class cutter set. With the wheels of creativity whirling most cheerfully, She came this far since Friday night.

Her hull lines are not quite right. I don't want to start over, but I think it is inevitable to create a Cape Island boat that Stan would approve of. Reverence, Men. Perhaps I should have a look at the fargin' PLANS ?!? :bat
Calling this version a trial run. I will probably finish her deckhouse and hull, but I doubt She will be molded or cast. What? ME!?!
:salute::oldguy::skipper:

Looking good! I've certainly seen them with both straight and flared prows but I think you've captured the shape!

Looking good! I've certainly seen them with both straight and flared prows but I think you've captured the shape!
I find it impossible to dispute the word of one who knows Cape Islanders first hand. I appreciate your input more than I can express here.
Thanks Warren! :notworthy

20220205_154841.jpg20220205_154936.jpg
After Warren's positive input, I went forward with the (not really) Cape Islander lobster boat. I wanted to see how the windows would fit. External hull details and some small deck hatches up forward still need to be added before She goes to mold. A second boat with a straighter stem, flared bow and almost no deadrise will have to be built. This one is almost pretty good. At 32 scale feet, she's a little longer than I wanted.

Thank again for looking in!

Back