• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Here's my latest project!

grunt26

Hi all,
First post here! My latest, an M48A3 in Vietnam. Base: Tamiya kit, Eduard PE set, scratchbuilt lights guards, & loaders hatch details, corrected the nose of the tank, lowered the suspension, corrected turret height, textured the hull & turret to replicate US cast armor. Used Academy's M60 roadwheels w/ black vinyl "tires", added cast marks to turret & engine doors. Detailed the mantlet and cover as well. Searchlight is NOT attached yet. Used brass tube for the crew heater exhaust, and will add a set of AFV Club tracks. Various details added as needed all around the vehicle.
Thanks for looking!
005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

008-3.jpg

009-3.jpg

012-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Rod

Rod it is really great to see some 48's. You are doing a great job. I am trying to do a M60A1 down the list here. Keep up the good work I can't wait to see more.

Terry B)

Hi Rod.

That is a real nice looking M-48 you have there. It make me really want to pull mine out of the box and try my best to finish up what I have started up with. But I was thinking I might want to see what you to show me in the way of detail so I can copy what you are doing :unsure: :laugh:

Gary B)

Cheyenne wrote:
Oooh - la - la , ................

Funny, but I was thinking the same thing :silly:

Thanks, Gary! Glad ya like it! What would you like to know?? I'm more than happy to share whatever! let me know!
Thanks,
Rod

Hi James,
Yes it is Mr. Surfacer. I stipple it on to build the texture, then when dry, start "buffing" it down using medium, fine, and superfine sanding sticks, until its down to almost nothing, just to have some texture. It may take me several times to get it to the stage you see here. I'll be posting more pictures, as it is painted now!
Thanks for looking,
Rod

Hi Rod,

The M48 looks pretty good .

I've a soft spot and built a couple of these over the years and they are a treat to build.

I like how you have stippled the surface ,very nice.
look forward to seeing more .

Michael :)

mike walsh wrote:
Hi Rod,

The M48 looks pretty good .

I've a soft spot and built a couple of these over the years and they are a treat to build.

I like how you have stippled the surface ,very nice.
look forward to seeing more .

Michael :)

Thanks Michael! Yeah, I've got a soft spot for the M48/M60 series, too! This is my 4th M48, but this first one that I corrected the suspension, and nose on! I'd corrected the turrets on all the others, and this is the first one that I used this texture technique on, and I love the way it looks. She got a coat of paint last night, the tires ore done, and some detailing has been started. I'll post more pics soon.
Thnaks again,
Rod

Hi there.

I'm curious as to what is wrong with the kit turret height and the nose? I have a couple of these kits waiting to be built and I have one in-progress that has a working searchlight. One of my kits is going to be converted to an Israeli variant.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Tankbuilder wrote:
Hi there.

I'm curious as to what is wrong with the kit turret height and the nose? I have a couple of these kits waiting to be built and I have one in-progress that has a working searchlight. One of my kits is going to be converted to an Israeli variant.

Hi Peter!
The suspension is 3mm TOO high, just clip off the little bump peg and your torsion arms will sit at the correct height. The turret is 2.5 mm TOO shallow. Insert plastic strip in between the halves of the turret and fill & sand. The nose, as it come in the kit, is TOO rounded and blunt. The real nose comes almost to a point, and is flatter than depicted in the kit. I glued a piece of .30" plastic rod along the nose seam, and filled it in with super glue and accelerator. I ground off and high spots with a motor tool, then used epoxy putty and water to shape it with my fingers. When all had dried, I textured it as described in an above post. I hope this helps with your projects!
Rod

Sherman 18 wrote:
Looking good there Rod!

What did you use for the casting #s?

Hi Sherman,
Thanks! I used Archer Fine Transfers Surface Details. If you don't know what they are, or don't have them, GET 'EM!! They are black RESIN, that is printed onto clear decal film. They make a bunch of casting numbers, a metric assload of weld seams (which are fantastic), and rivets and even distressed wood grain. Just apply like regular decals, at any stage of construction, and paint. Presto! Amazing detail!
Best regards,
Rod

grunt26 wrote:
Tankbuilder wrote:
Hi there.

Hi Peter!
The suspension is 3mm TOO high, just clip off the little bump peg and your torsion arms will sit at the correct height. The turret is 2.5 mm TOO shallow. Insert plastic strip in between the halves of the turret and fill & sand. The nose, as it come in the kit, is TOO rounded and blunt. The real nose comes almost to a point, and is flatter than depicted in the kit. I glued a piece of .30" plastic rod along the nose seam, and filled it in with super glue and accelerator. I ground off and high spots with a motor tool, then used epoxy putty and water to shape it with my fingers. When all had dried, I textured it as described in an above post. I hope this helps with your projects!
Rod

Thanks for the update.

I had recently learned about the 3mm too high suspension but since I usually articulate mine and pose the model on uneven ground that wasn't too much of a problem. I'm happy to know about the turret and nose problems though.

Thanks again and cheers from Peter

Tankbuilder wrote:
grunt26 wrote:
Tankbuilder wrote:
Hi there.

Hi Peter!
Rod

Thanks for the update.

I had recently learned about the 3mm too high suspension but since I usually articulate mine and pose the model on uneven ground that wasn't too much of a problem. I'm happy to know about the turret and nose problems though.

Thanks again and cheers from Peter

Happy to help, Peter! Good luck with your projects, and while I am certainly NO expert, if you need anything, just let me know.
Cheers,
Rod

Back