• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

High School Modeling Club suggestions

Greg Kimsey

Hi guys, I may be getting into something I will regret, but I have been in contact with the local High School about setting up a model display, and starting a model club. The art teacher is all for it and has offered her classroom as a meeting place. My question is, how should I run that kind of club? I would like for it to be a place to learn how to model, but it isn't realistic to think I can set up a half dozen airbrush stations for painting. I can provide tools, glues, kits, techniques for weathering, procedure for building, etc etc, but what about the logistics of actually building models? Have any of your been involved in such a venture and if so, how did you do it?! Thanks in advance for any advice on how to proceed. I am sure I will have more questions as we go along!

I'm going to bet that any highschooler who would want to join is already into the hobby. I'd feel it out and see what the kids bring with them. Really interested in how this pans out for ya.

I would make this "A destination" event. Hold weekly sessions that last a couple of hours. Start with a model kit that isn't overly complex. Quick build and finish for perhaps, shorter attention spans (?) to start with. Work your way up to the 1/35 Academy Tiger I with interior and metal tracks.

You might contact companies like Round 2 or Atlantis Models to see if they will consider participating in supplying kits at a substantial discount. Beverages and bathrooms for the junior model-makers. Home in time for supper.

The better builders will keep coming back while the less dedicated kids shine you on in a short amount of time.
Included the starter kit at no charge. Sell a more complex, interesting, fun model for a % off retail.
Your time and your expertise are valuable. I advise against giving it away for free. That, and your own model time will VANISH as $$ roll in!

After lunch and before supper. You don't want this to become a daycayer occasion. Offer coupons to parents for Fartful Barn discounts on different retail items on different weekdays. Build the "Destination" see? Create your own traffic. Give people an interesting reason to visit The Fartful Barn!

Could you interest Local Clarksville wimmin-folk in pottery/painting classes too? A seminar? Get the $$ up front, so if people miss the seminar, it isn't a financial disaster? Complimentary, local wine for the Moms? "Oh Gail! I have a job for you!!"
Hit the local winery up for a discount too! "It's for the fun of creativity!"

How busy do you want to be? Choose, but choose wisely.

Hy-Vee does the coupon thing to keep people coming back to the grocery store every day. I think it's insidious, but it works on a certain mindset of person. "The common clave. People of the Land. You know. Morons."

Above all remember: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

Howzatt?!?

I would make this "A destination" event. Hold weekly sessions that last a couple of hours. Start with a model kit that isn't overly complex. Quick build and finish for perhaps, shorter attention spans (?) to start with. Work your way up to the 1/35 Academy Tiger I with interior and metal tracks.

You might contact companies like Round 2 or Atlantis Models to see if they will consider participating in supplying kits at a substantial discount. Beverages and bathrooms for the junior model-makers. Home in time for supper.

The better builders will keep coming back while the less dedicated kids shine you on in a short amount of time.
Included the starter kit at no charge. Sell a more complex, interesting, fun model for a % off retail.
Your time and your expertise are valuable. I advise against giving it away for free. That, and your own model time will VANISH as $$ roll in!

After lunch and before supper. You don't want this to become a daycayer occasion. Offer coupons to parents for Fartful Barn discounts on different retail items on different weekdays. Build the "Destination" see? Create your own traffic. Give people an interesting reason to visit The Fartful Barn!

Could you interest Local Clarksville wimmin-folk in pottery/painting classes too? A seminar? Get the $$ up front, so if people miss the seminar, it isn't a financial disaster? Complimentary, local wine for the Moms? "Oh Gail! I have a job for you!!"
Hit the local winery up for a discount too! "It's for the fun of creativity!"

How busy do you want to be? Choose, but choose wisely.

Hy-Vee does the coupon thing to keep people coming back to the grocery store every day. I think it's insidious, but it works on a certain mindset of person. "The common clave. People of the Land. You know. Morons."

Above all remember: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

Howzatt?!?
'Zactly what I was looking for! Dunkey shit'n muh hair suh. (I learned that bit o' German from a Navy seal...)

YIKES! I haven't been visiting frequently but I did this at my Alma Mater; Aviation High School. I offered it as an afterschool activity from beginner to advanced. Aircraft only. Students only needed to show up or, if modelers, bring in their project. The school had a great display case in the entrance and 'nerds' would love to share that space with all the jock trophies.

At the time, I reviewed model kits for websites so one company was surprised when I approached them about a simple starter kit for the students to keep. They provided a box It came with paints, brush, and glue. That kit was done within a week! The group grew a little but, as techniques became more advanced (or they joined other activities) it got smaller. Those that got hooked, or were already modelers, would bring their kit (as would I) for shop talk. Many simply wanted to build a kit of the aircraft they were working on in the hangars. However, those kits (especially the Cessnas) were more challenging fit wise so a lot of cheerleading to get them completed! The club was considered a success and a student took over the next year.

In the early 1990s, these are the aircraft the school had in its history so think which kits were available then. YIKES!

1690548989925.png

1690549327409.png

1690549948603.png
1690548904760.png

1690549036540.png

1690549163370.png

1690549207056.png

1690549260205.png

1690549611610.png

1690549995512.png

In the background is one of two T-33s I would work on. At this time (way before I attended) it had the Aviation High School logo on its tail:
1690549855551.png

1690550103667.png

A helicopter... :D guess:
1690549903231.png

1690550048221.png

Reminds me of when I was in Aeronautical Technology at Oklahoma State in Stillwater back in the 70's. Our labs were out at an old stone hanger at the municipal airport. I remember an old Stearman, a twin engine Cessna and an Aero Commander that were in that hanger. We got to taxi the Cessna as part of the class one day. Taxing a twin engine down the taxiways at this small airport was fun. The Aero Commander had a landing gear problem that became a sheet metal problem as the main gear folded after landing and it had slid on it's butt for a ways. It was being repaired when I was there. They closed that program down the next year.
Years later I went out by the airport and the old hanger was still there. Nothing around it though. Of course the airport is now all closed off and secure so I couldn't do much but set by the fence and look.

And don't offend anybody with "controversial" models,good luck with that!!
Really sounds like a cool idea,but in these woke times,it could be interesting.
Hope it all works out the way you envision.

Back