• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

He 111 1/48th scale

centaur567

20231124_201645_HDR.jpg

This is Monogram's He 111 H 4/5 kit released in 1994. I bought this kit when it first came out at the IPMS/Pelican's contest in St. Pete. I'm really excited about starting this before I get anymore decrepit. Ha ha. I would like to build it as a Battle of Britton aircraft with the 2 big bombs. Gary S.

100_8248.JPG
100_8244.JPG
100_8245.JPG
100_8246.JPG
100_8247.JPG
100_8250.JPG
100_8251.JPG

The only after market product that I'm using is Fast Frames for the canopies. They were bought at the long time closed Merrit Island Hobby shop. Hope they still work. This kit is almost building itself. Monogram has really stepped up it's gain with this one. I painted the interior my mix of RLM 02. Since it was built before Nov. 1941 when all interiors under glazing was changed to RLM 66. The hole in the front of the engine nacelles were drilled out. Detail painting of the cockpit is still to be done. After waiting almost 30 years to build this kit, I'm really excited about it. So far so good. I had to use Scotch tape to convince the wings to meet up with the fuselage, but the fit is great. Gary S.

Gary that build is coming along very nicely. Looking very good!

Bill Koster. I have a conversion vac set by him to convert the Monogram B-17G to the early B-17C. Can't say I have ever seen one built so it is someplace in my stash.

This kit was one of Boll Koster's last designs for Monogram. Several of the later Promodeller kits were designed, or redesigned by Bill. If you have the Me-410, Me-11oG, or P-47N, you will see the similarity in design approach.
I built the Me-410 kit a long time ago,great kit along with the SB2C Helldiver. I regrettably sold the Me-110G kit. Thanks, Gary S.

Fast Frames?? Never heard of them. what's up?
Fast Frames was Squadron's brand (MMD). I didn't have real issues but they were the 'new' thing back then. My issues was learning how to use them as the vinyl was a bit stretchy (good in some cases if you did it intentionally but not in others.

100_8258.JPG
100_8259.JPG

This is my airbrush painting area on my work bench in the garage. I mixed up a batch of RLM 65 or close to it and sprayed the lower surfaces which revealed some minor scratched from the exacto knife. Then I went and looked at the upper fuselage and discovered more body work is required in both areas. Hope I have enough blue. I'll brush on some RLM 02 on the upper part and check for scratch repair before continuing on with the upper colors. :bash: Thanks for looking, Gary S.

Thanks. My wife is an anti clutter bug. I only do airbrushing in good weather on the workbench in the garage and after backing the car out. The main building work area is in my hobby room which isn't always so neat. Gary S.

100_8261.JPG
100_8297.JPG
100_8302.JPG
100_8303.JPG
100_8304.JPG
100_8305.JPG
100_8306.JPG
100_8307.JPG
100_8308.JPG

I've been too busy to do much posting lately, so I thought I'd take some time and get caught up. Normally I would have painted the lighter green first, but I grabbed the darker green instead. Masking was a challenge, but it came out ok. Then it was time to apply the Fast Frames and it worked pretty well. Had to do a little touch ups which is normal for this product. I was surprised that they and the decals still worked after 25+ years. Now I'm in the process of applying decals to the bombs. I think they are SC1000 or SC1200 bombs. The kit instructions are very vague about where the yellow wing strip goes. Also it says that the markings with the torpedo is from II/KG 26. With the white spinners and shield, I would think that I/KG 26 would be correct stationed in Norway, not Italy. II/KG 26 was in Italy and the group color should be red not white. Plus they show a whit M to go on the leading edge of the wing when the A/C letter is K. I substituted a white K behind the cross on the fuselage. I'm going for more of a Battle of Britton look. Gary S.

The markings issues is why I do a lot of research and looking through my reference books. I usually try to do a plane that I have at least one good photo of it. No one would really know for sure if it was accurate or not and that is up to you.

So far this build is looking pretty good Gary! :good:

Back