• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Grrrrrrrrrrrumman

phantom II

Master at Arms
For quite some time, I have thought about replacing my old Monogram Bearcat with an improved kit.

I picked up a Sword kit long ago but it just sat in the pile.

F8F_003a.jpg

Recently, I found a set of Berna decals that stirred my imagination, so I started working on the kit.
I have never used their decals, so I'm hoping they are good :idonno

F8F_002a.jpg

So, this is outside my norm since I try to stay within WW II . This bird was used by the French in the Indochina conflict . Better known to Americans of my age as Vietnam :S

F8F_decal_compa.jpg

Still , it is a WW II bird designed for the sole purpose as a pure interceptor to protect the fleet.
The fasted of the cats designed by Grumman .

That falling through ( due to the fall of Japan ) many were sold or given to our ally France .

beercat2-2.jpg

They in turn used them for air to ground missions :idonno

grum1149F8F-1inhangergunpods1.jpg

Vive la France (y)

Anyhow, I have been rescribing and fitting pieces . It appears to be a very nice kit for a short run model.

F8F_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Well,, I supposse hyou got me there . I being a ww II buff was reffering to the piston engine era.

Still, I belive if you ligned up the tw wingtip to wingtip on the runway the f8f would probably get off the runway first ,circle and shoot down the F_14 before it ever cleared the runway.

The F-16 drivers use tor reffer to the F-14 as sled . it was not designed for dogfighting but to shoot down multiple targets past the the line of sight. Further than enemy radar would even reach.

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice, funky gun pods. You gonna arm it out or clean? :popcorn

To be honest Bob, I have not looked to see if the kit includes any weapons...Much less considered the possibilities .

Just looked . Four rockets and two pylons .

I do have plans ( someday ) for another ju 87 that carried similar pods and referred to watering cans.

Strangely, I have never seen one built...

Cheers, Christian B)

:popcorn Keep at it Chrrrrrrristian! :laugh:

Well,the French text on the sheet gives you no problems being from the Francophone part of Belgium.

Gr,Ron.

Well,, I supposse hyou got me there . I being a ww II buff was reffering to the piston engine era.

Still, I belive if you ligned up the tw wingtip to wingtip on the runway the f8f would probably get off the runway first ,circle and shoot down the F_14 before it ever cleared the runway.

The F-16 drivers use tor reffer to the F-14 as sled . it was not designed for dogfighting but to shoot down multiple targets past the the line of sight. Further than enemy radar would even reach.

Cheers, Christian B)
The Crews did call the F-14's the Turkeys :D

:popcorn Keep at it Chrrrrrrristian! :laugh:

Well,the French text on the sheet gives you no problems being from the Francophone part of Belgium.

Gr,Ron.

Guess that language will come in handy once again :)

I use to always find humor in the Heller instruction . Some of those things sound absolutely bezerk when translated to English IE : Light black :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

This kit came with a good many parts in rather large pour blocks which were rather difficult to hold while cutting . Need to find a better way.

Bearcat_PE_001a.jpg

On the same topic , I find it very difficult to drill the hole for the engine shaft at a perfect 90 dgrees.
Today, a light bulb came on :woohoo: and I came up with this gadget .

bearcat__engine_001a.jpg

Since the back is flat the hole should be good :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

This kit came with a good many parts in rather large pour blocks which were rather difficult to hold while cutting . Need to find a better way.

Bearcat_PE_001a.jpg

On the same topic , I find it very difficult to drill the hole for the engine shaft at a perfect 90 dgrees.
Today, a light bulb came on :woohoo: and I came up with this gadget .

bearcat__engine_001a.jpg

Since the back is flat the hole should be good :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

That's a heck of a gadget (y)
What is it? Looks like it could be used for drilling holes in pipe or something.

I didn't make it guys. I bought it around 1990 when I started working wood projects .

It is designed to adapt to an old style electric drill so as to drill straight holes in wood . It beacame useless, so it hid in my garage junk for many years.

Thankfully, I don't discard things that are not broken . Now it is repurposed :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Very cool Chris. Hard to find now though. The one on Amazon looks pretty cheap while being pricey. Will keep looking. I know I had one once.
James

Very cool Chris. Hard to find now though. The one on Amazon looks pretty cheap while being pricey. Will keep looking. I know I had one once.
James

HAHA , I knew there was a good reason for not throwing things away :coolio Now the reason just surfaced.

On the other hand, Mike just made a gadget with a similar purpose.

My first though had been for a Dremel drill press stand but my dremel tool probably would not have fit into it as it is older .

Cheers, Christian B)

Just some minor progress this evening I tried to trim the gills so they could be replaced with sheet metal.

Anyhow, when I got the there, there was not enough plastic to work with so I grafted some sprue and smoothed it with Milliput . Needs to dry a while :idonno

bearcat_gills_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Back