• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Greek Macedonian

jknaus

Administrator
I have put my Germanic warrior away for a bit. Its all done but the shield and I cant make a totem for it. My drawing looks like a kindergarten stick man epic fail.
So while I wait for my French Lt so I can learn more from Giovanni I decided to start this Greek Macedonian. I have painted the Bronze and will mask it so I can prime the rest. The bronze was done by shining the metal, dry brushing with burnt umber oil paint until the metal looked burnished. Then a quick bake in the crock pot for a few hours to dry and a coat of Tamiya clear yellow.

gm1_3_20101006_1707660816.jpg

I think it looks pretty good.
James

I had pulled pork in mine the other day-- but never thought about this sort of use for it-- great idea James-- and well executed by the looks of it :)

Jeeves wrote:
I had pulled pork in mine the other day-- but never thought about this sort of use for it-- great idea James-- and well executed by the looks of it :)

I made that last week. But no this crock pot is a cheap $15.00 one that I bought specially for drying oil paints. Have a layer of cardboard on the bottom to give separation from the figure and use it on low with the lid cocked off to the side. It gets warm enough to dry the oil paint in a few hours but I have not yet melted anything. One day I'll try a plastic figure. Metal and resin have been no problem though.
James

jknaus wrote:
I have put my Germanic warrior away for a bit. Its all done but the shield and I cant make a totem for it. My drawing looks like a kindergarten stick man epic fail.
So while I wait for my French Lt so I can learn more from Giovanni I decided to start this Greek Macedonian. I have painted the Bronze and will mask it so I can prime the rest. The bronze was done by shining the metal, dry brushing with burnt umber oil paint until the metal looked burnished. Then a quick bake in the crock pot for a few hours to dry and a coat of Tamiya clear yellow.

gm1_3_20101006_1707660816.jpg

I think it looks pretty good.
James

Well done James!!

Volvely painting. If I may, now that is all dry, make selective and pin washes with burnt umber, black and green (oxide bronze can tend to green).then you can touch up the bronze with enamel paints or better with printer's ink (not easy to find anymore in europe).

Bravo!

Giovanni

It's looking good so far, James.

Making metal objects look convincing takes talent and your's looks pretty darn good. It will be interesting to see what it looks like after the washes that Giovanni suggested. I look forward to seeing the totally finished figure. If this is just the beginning of it, then I'm sure it will turn out awesome.

James

Back