• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German U-boat Type VIIB Conning Tower Gun Deck

Water Works Finished

After countless attempts to get it right I will finally call this good. It was one of those, "Oops,that'll work", moments. So, Ruck On Bby!

I've watch numerous videos on the subject, even did several dry runs, but trying to get the waves correct for a scenario depicting the rear of a gun deck, and in this larger scale, it proved to be a bit more challenging than I had anticipated. Most of the boat pics and videos describing water effects are in a much smaller scale, so realism is a bit easier to come by. Not to mention I was rushing myself, something I try never to do, so let that be a lesson to me, HA!

Ok, after reshaping the foam to a configuration I felt comfortable with I covered it with heavy blue workshop paper towel using Mod Podge, white glue will work just fine as well. Then I painted the water tones, making sure to highlight the tops of the waves, with Vallejo acrylics in various shades of blue and green.

Once this was completely dry, using an old hair dryer, I added a coat of Vallejo's Water Effects and dried it completely as well. Now, here is the departure from all the videos I've seen so far, I immediately added a layer of toilet paper using Mod Podge (glue) and worked small areas at one time. Once the paper was in place I added a bit more "glue" to the surface and forced the paper into a wave shape following the natural direction desired for the effect I was attempting to duplicate. So far, so good.

_DSC2876b-vi.jpg

_DSC2877b-vi.jpg

I continued this process all over the underlying waves and added a second and third layer of paper to the back portion of the deck where the most turbulence would occur. All good so far, and the depth of the water color from underneath was starting to come out nicely. The next step was to use heavy Medium Gel, from Liquitex, with a touch of white acrylic paint added. Taking the gel I worked the backs of the paper waves to smooth out the heavy ripples, giving it a much smother transition. I did this over the entire base making sure I didn't get carried away. So far so good, again.

Now, to lighten up the effect and knock down all that white action I used Vallejo's Water Effects with a touch of blue acrylic paint and dabbed all the recesses of each created wave and all throughout the larger areas making sure I did not touch the tips or the build up of each wave. Yes, this was time consuming, but it appears to have worked. Hence, "Oops, that'll work!"

Ok, lastly I dried everything completely, then touched up a few wave tips with white acrylic paint and gave the entire surface another coat of Water Effects to shine it all up. After all, it is all water, right?

The last step was to cut, mount and paint the trim. Then of course, I mounted the finished gun deck. Once the deck was in place I went along the edge of the deck with toilet paper and Mod Podge pushing the paper into a natural position along the base of the deck. I applied the same process as above, then shined it up with Water Effects. So, after all that frustration and one heck of a heavy learning curve I was pretty happy with the finish.

_DSC2879b-vi.jpg

_DSC2882b-vi.jpg

This won't be my last attempt at water works, I'm thinking it's going to be a bit more fun next time. Now, I have one more figure to finish and this dio will be complete. If you have questions or comments, holler.

Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Thanks Guys. The Mrs. said, "add some splashes along the hull." What did I say???, "Yes Mum!" :yipee

Fixes coming soon, lol. Cheers, Ski.

Water works update

Since the sides of the hull didn't have any transition to the waves I decided on using the silicon caulk method. The only draw back using this type of caulk is that it's not acrylic, so adding paint will be an issue. But, not if you are just making bubbles, HA! It seemed to work out ok.

I drew out a line on a sheet of plastic wrap and played with it until I got what looked like mini waves and splashes. I let this dry over night.

_DSC2888b-vi.jpg

Now that the waves were completely dried I pulled them from the plastic wrap and carefully placed them along the hull allowing the splash portions to ride up along the hull. When I was satisfied with the arrangement I glued them in place in only key areas that were prone to lifting away from the base.

Then I mixed a tiny amount of blue and green acrylic paint into a small amount of Vallejo's Water Effect and coated/blended the edges and added the mix into all the recesses along the hull and out into the pre-existing waves.

Now it was just a matter of adding white bubbles to the splashes using acrylic paint. I had to be careful not to get too carried away. As I mentioned before, the acrylic paint doesn't like to stick to the silicon caulking, but it worked out just fine for the effect I was looking for.

_DSC2883b-vi.jpg

_DSC2885b-vi.jpg

_DSC2887b-vi.jpg

There may be some volume missing within the small transition waves, but I'm going to call this portion of the build complete. I really don't relish the chance of messing it up. I would have to say I'll be needing a lot more experience working with waves, I've got a long way to go before I feel totally confident in my ability to create realistic water works.

Thanks for watchin, Ski.

Water works update

Since the sides of the hull didn't have any transition to the waves I decided on using the silicon caulk method. The only draw back using this type of caulk is that it's not acrylic, so adding paint will be an issue. But, not if you are just making bubbles, HA! It seemed to work out ok.

I drew out a line on a sheet of plastic wrap and played with it until I got what looked like mini waves and splashes. I let this dry over night.

_DSC2888b-vi.jpg

Now that the waves were completely dried I pulled them from the plastic wrap and carefully placed them along the hull allowing the splash portions to ride up along the hull. When I was satisfied with the arrangement I glued them in place in only key areas that were prone to lifting away from the base.

Then I mixed a tiny amount of blue and green acrylic paint into a small amount of Vallejo's Water Effect and coated/blended the edges and added the mix into all the recesses along the hull and out into the pre-existing waves.

Now it was just a matter of adding white bubbles to the splashes using acrylic paint. I had to be careful not to get too carried away. As I mentioned before, the acrylic paint doesn't like to stick to the silicon caulking, but it worked out just fine for the effect I was looking for.

_DSC2883b-vi.jpg

_DSC2885b-vi.jpg

_DSC2887b-vi.jpg

There may be some volume missing within the small transition waves, but I'm going to call this portion of the build complete. I really don't relish the chance of messing it up. I would have to say I'll be needing a lot more experience working with waves, I've got a long way to go before I feel totally confident in my ability to create realistic water works.

Thanks for watchin, Ski.

NAILED IT!!!

Thank you kindly Gents.

They sure make it look easy on them there videos, lol. I think a study of actual water tones/depths, etc., is in order before I take on the next water works. I just did a trial run yesterday for the heck of it, didn't like the water tones at all. I've got to get "unstuck" before I ever put down a base or resin up against another kit, if ya know what I mean.

But hey, in retirement, after Mum's kitchen and flooring are done, T'sall good, right? Ruck On Bby.

25 days and a wake-up!

Watch Officer is Finished

Well, I thought I had taken in-progress photos of the legs and shoes, but apparently not. So, refer to the Captain figure, I used the same methods and techniques. Now all that is lacking is attaching these two figures to the deck and taking photos.

I felt rushed on this last figure towards the end due to summer outside work fast approaching. But, since my sleep before the night shift was lacking I spent a few hours each night before work to finish this last figure. Boy, work sure does get in the way of this hobby, ya know what I mean? At any rate, come Thursday it won't anymore, Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......!

Here's final shots before posting to the gallery.

_DSC0020b-vi.jpg
_DSC0024b-vi.jpg
_DSC0006b-vi.jpg
_DSC0009b-vi.jpg
_DSC0012b-vi.jpg
_DSC0014b1-vi.jpg
_DSC0015b-vi.jpg
_DSC0018b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Back