• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

german grey/panzer grey is there really a diff?

As far as I know early German vehicles were painted straight dark grey which is really dark. There is no way to know that the halftrack in the above image was painted with the right color. To my knowledge no blue grey was used.

Now from a modeling point of view people do their shading of the dark grey different ways and you will get a dozen different opinions on what's right. I prefer to add a little blue to my grey, but others shade with lighter shades of grey, and still others just add dust and dirt effects. In the end it is really up to you which you like and go that direction because I don't think any of these options are wrong. Here are some examples from here on the site of different takes on dark grey German equipment.

This one is mine.

DSC02446.JPG

This one is by Laura

htdoneleft.jpg

This one is by Andy

IMG_0741.jpg

All are a little different and there are many other examples. What it boils down to is you do it the way you like.

B)

Ok, I know all this was talked about in length weeks ago . Dark gray man ! Her's one that even says Panzer gray on the bottle and I can even vouch for the fact that it a user friendly paint/primer

http://store.alshobbyshop.com/images/products/detail/ral7021.1.jpg

Thats Shwarzgrau ^^^- Thats the closest thing I have in a bottle that matches that color too- I'm trying to find something close before I buy it in bulk (3-4 jars) for my Hannomag and my Panzer and PaK 40- I just like the color.

Thanks for the link.

I would suggest you read this
https://www.modelersalliance.com/list-of-the-masters/83-sven-frisch/149-panzergrey-anybody
If all else fails, check Cheyenne's chart.

And let's not forget Sven's great article on the subject.

I re read all that- did you see the pic I posted before T's? Been trying to find or duplicate that color. To my eye its a blue- grey, but to others its something else!

Use your imagination. That color is a blend of many layers of paint, dust and the light at the time of the photo and that don't come in a bottle. Quit worrying about it and build something.

You're putting too much thought into it.

Think I'm going to build that PanzerIV I got the other day. I'll paint it Panzergrey. :mpup

your right, I'm obsessing. Works been busy and I havn't been on top of my other obligations- but i have three things I want to try this color on. Its a puzzle, and its driving me crazy.

Did you post it? What Panzer IV did you get?

New Years day I start the 88- then I'm doing the Tauch Panzer Fuel Trailer and then the Flak Panzer. The Tauch Panzer has about 800 pieces so i need some practice first!

Back