• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German cockpit colour?

Bagge

Need some help to find a tamiya mix (or if you have a good match by some other brand it´s ok to) for the RLM66 used on the interior of german planes.
been searching but only find the rlm charts :bang head
//Mats

Need some help to find a tamiya mix (or if you have a good match by some other brand it´s ok to) for the RLM66 used on the interior of german planes.
been searching but only find the rlm charts :bang head
//Mats

XF-69 is pretty close by the time you weather it. :hmmm

For most of my Luftwaffe birds that have RLM 66 I use Tamiya Rattle can T/S 4 German Grey for the base color.

Enamel or acrylic paints and washes do not affect it when painting up dials instruments etc.

or
■ ITEM 81763
XF63 German Grey Tamiya acrylic - bottle mini paint.

I use the Vallejo RLM66. Now if you are real picky about the shades it is my belief that hardly any one could really tell what it looked like in 1944.

bagge,
RLM 66 changed a bit throughout the war, the late war version was still black-gray but with a green tint to it. The slight greenish cast was due to flame resistant chemicals added.

Model paints labled as RLM 66 are always too light, an easy fix is to add a few drops of black to your paint.
Unless you are building a derelict airframe in an aircraft graveyard it makes no sense adding weathering to the cockpit...maybe a few scrapes and scuff marks to the paint on the high wear areas but anymore than that its way overdone. Most all airworthy Luftwaffe aircraft had well cared for cockpits, captured aircraft could look very worn and weathered but that was not the norm.
One trick that I use to add some depth to cockpits of Luftwaffe planes is to first spray the cockpit parts black and then spray on the RLM 66 making sure all the recessed areas are barely touched with the RLM 66, this way you are adding a hint of weathering to an otherwise bland cockpit color.

Matrixone

I used the Tamiya German grey to prime and then used the Vallejo RLM 66 755 to paint. It just gives a green tinge to the grey which looks more like what I find in pictures.
James

I usually use Tamiya 'Panzer Grey' over black pre-shading.... may not be 100% accurate, but with all the shadow you have in a cockpit it looks fine to my eye.

Ian

Look out for the new Humbrol colors Humbrol has just braught out the main RLM colors in both acrilic and enamel.

Thanks guys!!
will give the black/german grey a try, those colours i have here so it´s easy (y)
//Mats

Unless you are building a derelict airframe in an aircraft graveyard it makes no sense adding weathering to the cockpit...maybe a few scrapes and scuff marks to the paint on the high wear areas but anymore than that its way overdone. Most all airworthy Luftwaffe aircraft had well cared for cockpits, captured aircraft could look very worn and weathered but that was not the norm.

Matrixone[/quote]

I realize this is not a new Luftwaffe cockpit but I promise you this is a very serviceable , cared for aircraft cockpit.

This is what happens to dark gray colors colors if they survive for a while. The many shades come from parts being removed and refurbished.

And that's my view on cockpits !

Cheers, Christian B)

I suppose it could be a lot like the US Cockpits, or any of them. Coming off the show room floor they will be all the same consistent color but over time, like Chris says, swapping components or repairs. I've been mixing like Interior Green and the zinc colors trying to make them more interesting. Course when you close it up you can't see a dang thing..:rotf

I suppose it could be a lot like the US Cockpits, or any of them. Coming off the show room floor they will be all the same consistent color but over time, like Chris says, swapping components or repairs. I've been mixing like Interior Green and the zinc colors trying to make them more interesting. Course when you close it up you can't see a dang thing..:rotf

Yup, but not all of us choose to close them up. That's not that realistic either....Besides Matts seems to be an enterprising individual :coolio He'll probably do something worth while :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Back