• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Flying FlapJack XF5U-1(Kitty Hawk 1/48)

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
Exploring beyond my comfort zone 🤯

I pulled the trigger on this from evilbay and it should be arriving soon at the front door. This will be my first aircraft (if you can call it an aircraft) kit...ever.
For now its planned as an OotB build but we'll see how much "detail creep" accrues. :coolio2:

KH-XF5U-1Box.png
XF5-Order.png

More to Come Soon

Attachments

• XF5-Order.png
    XF5-Order.png
    100 KB · Views: 14
Will...that didn't long for ol Mr. Detail Creep, to show up... :doh:
It looks like the kit does not come with drop tanks (x2), nor a pilot figure. I want to display it in air mode.
Anyone got an spears of the tanks and a pilot dude hanging round?

It looks like the kit does not come with drop tanks (x2), nor a pilot figure. I want to display it in air mode.
Anyone got an spears of the tanks and a pilot dude hanging round?
I also may have some spare tanks... since it is a what if, you might want something huge for long range.
@Sharkmouth will come up with a TO telling us what pylon is wet for the tanks. :rotf
Central pylon (make yourself) and wing pylons outboard the ejection chutes with ordnance or fuel tanks.
Click picture
1673131689913.png
Only if you put shark's teeth on it.
Under the nose like a Manta Ray!

Last edited:
I think the kit decals come the Shark mouth…I giving it heavy consideration :shark:

I just noticed that those wonderful plans by Ed Richardson lack exhausts! They are correct on the kit. As for armament, ensure to drill barrels and have ejection chutes for them (as well as ammunition hatches above or below). The mockup shows the location of the gun ports but not the ejection chutes or ammunition hatches:

1673147845735.png

So with that top view what's with all that wabble in the port prop?

Both props have that feature. The caption to the mockup photo (click it to read the article) explains that "The mockup had three-bladed propellers but it was soon apparent to the engineers that the installed power and necessary rotor-hub gimbal (the blades had to "flap" to relieve root bending loads) dictated a design with four blades."

More references simply to live up to TMI:
1673148303902.png

I was about to say, first drawing had radial engines, was it originally designed for turbine? I'm thinking delete the props and make it a pure jet. :pilot

Root Bending Loads? New one on me. :bm:

... first drawing had radial engines, was it originally designed for turbine? I'm thinking delete the props and make it a pure jet. :pilot
The turbo-prop idea was a proposal as jets were already on the scene in 1947. The idea of a pure jet would be cool, an American Horten-229. Use the empty prop areas as cannon fairings.

Back