• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Flat coat

paddy

Can anyone recommend a flat coat that is really flat

DSC_7269.jpg

You can see here that the bike was sprayed with with a flat colour from a spray tin and is ok but the figures need hand painting and these 2 have had a coat of Tamiya flat and a coat of humbrol flat but the guy standing still has shiny trousers :) I did once have a humbrol clear spray can that was really flat but it tended to turn dark colours white round the edges.
What i need is a good brush coat so with things like the rider his Khaki clothes are flat but his leather waistcoat is semi gloss ish... ???

strangely if you look at the saddle bags, they are Tamiya paint with Hunbrol flat and that worked, its humbrol paint with humbrol flat that seems to be my problem.

Flat sprays have the nasty habit of going satin or glossy as they age in the can. You have to shake the can REALLY REALLY REALLY well to get the contents to mix thoroughly. Sometimes the contents have separated too far to get remixed.

Hope you can get yours to go flat.

Cheers

Another thing that can cause it to be shiny is the coat was too wet. That will cause the particles to lay flat(reflects the light back at you) on the surface and not stand up so it defuses the light.

Shake the can until your arm falls off and then spray a little farther back.

Tony lee :D

The best clear flat coat I have used so far is Xtracolor Matt Varish, its best put on with very light mist coats by holding the airbrush further away and using high PSI.

Matrixone

Plain ol' Testors Dullcote works really well for me. I bought the bottle and thin it with cheap lacquer thinner, spray it thru the air brush, very flat.

Paddy,

I've only sprayed it after thinning it a tad. The label says it may be brushed or airbrushed.
Used water / isopropyl mix to thin it and clean up. Good old laquer thinner to cut anything left in the airbrush.

Good luck,

Mike B)

Cheers Mike, its not something you get in the LHS over here so i will order a bottle just for figures on-line.
Thanks mate
(y)

Back