• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fiat CR.42 plus photo etch.

phantom II

Master at Arms
Hello everyone ! While waiting for my computer to be repaired I was unable to post on the IL-2 build .Due to all that idle time I came to a point where I could no longer resist the voices from the closet ! I had a MP. :mpup moment . This is the result . :laugh:

008_1_20101211_1021079308.jpg

This little kit is one of the finest little kits I have ever found. A total departure from Italeri of the 1980's. A finely scribed and delicately molded kit.

011_2_20101212_1784430484.jpg

Included is a very set of decals. The PE is a after market by Eduards . It is a pre-painted set and is very neatly done.

012_1_20101212_1192539309.jpg

The kit includes a booklet that provides diagrams and photos from a restored airplane. Frankly, I have paid for research material that was not this good.

009_4_20101212_1375832630.jpg

COOL!

You should have told me about the computer, I can save you a dime or more if you brought it to me.

Voices? Are you sure that wasn't the Shock Top you were drinking over here?? :D Looking forward to following along!

The first step of course is to start with the office.

001_1_20101213_2055437524.jpg

As nice as the dashboard is I found myself replacing the leather straps for the stirrups so that they would be in scale and adding the charging handles.

004_4_20101213_1728642700.jpg

006_6_20101213_1237843460.jpg

005_5_20101213_1687436927.jpg

As nice as all this looks, I have a couple of things to grumble about. (a) the painted PE looks nice but there is no way to work it without the paint flaking off. Notice that the leather piece that holds the shoulder harness together is now a different color.
(B) strange as it seems, when a manufacturer makes an aftermarket kit for a specific kit I expect the dimensions to be the same. I have had to cut, saw and invent new words to get all this to fit together.

Is that the Gallery I see?

Yes, it is so the post was updated with the proper image link.
;)

I love it when Italeri includes the references, only the price is the downside. Yet, for Italian subjects, I suck up, tighten my belt, loosen the wallet, and pay...

Regards,

After all the fiddling and adjusting to the cockpit frame I discovered that it also did not fit (exactly ) to the fuselage so once again I had to call on the Dremmel to make things fit. (or not )

https://www.modelersalliance.com/images/stories/img_pictures/phantom_ii_278/cr-42_001_1_20101214_1745303558.jpg[/IMG

This is the result of gluing the fuselage halves together and the cockpit refuses to budge. Unfortunately there are no openings in the fuselage to convince it to go where it belongs. Guess I'll have to make one !

[IMG]https://www.modelersalliance.com/images/stories/img_pictures/phantom_ii_278/cr-42_002_2_20101214_1026929147.jpg

:eek:hmy:

Well, if you have had any dealing with older foreign types before you must know how finicky fiats were.
I was going to post yesterday but had a major MP.:mpup moment. Still trying to recover. :(

Cheers, Christian B)

Finally I'm back to posting a few pictures. Sometimes I would just prefer to build as this takes up my time too.

cr-42001.jpg

after I wrestled the interior into the fuselage I noticed that things no longer lined up and the interior could not be moved I decided on surgery to gain access to the bottom.

cr-42002.jpg

Not a beautiful sight but with a little prying it popped back into place and the bottom panels were super glued back into place.

fiatcr42003.jpg

From that point it went into the jig so as to get all the main airfoils glued and squared up.

will post more soon. Any comments are welcome

Looking fine Chris, I had the privilege of inspecting Chris's museum this past Sunday. Folks let me tell ya, the man has eyes like a hawk. All those little airplanes buzzin' around all those cabinets. These pictures don't do justice to the work he puts in these little jewels.

Back