• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Faster than a Speeding SAM - SR-71A Build

helios

Ok, I'm officially in.

1:72 Hasegawa "Gravestone" kit. Looked at the kit a little closer and it appears that I can install seats after the fact. This means I can wait until my next SB order to get the seats and maximize my shipping costs. At first glance this appears to be a pretty basic kit...so I'll have to see if I can add some character to it with a little light weathering. If I can manage it without detracting from the build itself (assuming I don't make a muck of the assembly).

I can Hardly Wait, Get-R-Done & Get a Ribbon under Your Belt :popcorn I guess no LHS in your area, I did good today. :pilot

Pedestals on the pit floor filed flat in preparation for the Wolfpack resin seats. Bulkheads installed. Pit painted in neutral gray (FS36270). Now to wait for it to dry so I can put a little glosscote on the instrument side consoles & install the decals.

Pit (minus seats) installed. Fuselage halves assembled. "Vertical" stabs installed. Now time for some breakfast while the stabs fully set.

Well, it helps being a fairly basic kit. ;)

Main landing gear components are installed now. Going to try something a little different as this bird is the same color top & bottom. I'm installing the gear struts so I can paint both sides at once and have somewhere to rest the bird that's not a freshly painted surface. Need to pick up some rust paint so I can finish painting the exhaust nozzles. Then I will be rapidly approaching the point where I'll be in a holding pattern until I get the seats. May have to find something so I can get the order in this weekend. I can't do the main paint until I get the seats & install the canopies.

Cant you maybe paint the bottom - landing gear bays and landing gear? then you have a dry area by the time you get the seats installed?

Yeah, I guess I could. Hadn't thought of that. Especially since it's just rattle can. Not like I'll have to clean out the air brush twice. :drinks

Exhaust installed. Directions said just rust for the exhaust. That seemed boring so I experimented a bit. Didn't come out quite as well as I had hoped...but still far better than plain old rust.

Back