• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

End of the Hawk T1

paddy

The RAF has retired most of its 76 Hawk T1's leaving just a few with the Red Arrows and 20 odd T2's
These were fast jet trainers and getting on a bit but the interesting thing is their replacements will be simulators. the thinking is apparently the hawks are so far removed from the Typhoon and F35 in service now that simulators are more realistic :)

Bye bye hawks

Attachments

• Hawk T2 aircraft 290715 CREDIT RAF .jpg
    Hawk T2 aircraft 290715 CREDIT RAF .jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 6
You can see their point though, A hawk is about as far removed from a 5th generation fighter as a 707 :)

Would have to talk to the fly guys about that. I can see one area where it would not be feasible to simulate and that is the cross countries the pilots have to do. I cant see a simulator being able to replace the experience of landing at major airports or other airfields either. In a sim I should think they know they are safe and maybe dont get as excited when handling an emergency or a dangerous maneuver whereas in the air its for real. Then again I just fix them.
James

Agreed Janes
a few points though.
these guys have already got their licences on the Beachcraft Texan and will do basic avionics on a the 20 or so Hawk T2's
the simulator will see them go into the Typhoon and finish training on the twin sticks.
I also think this is a start towards drone training and unmanned fighters.
The UK has already started work on the next generation Tempest and with the recent "collapse" of NATO i can only see development and expense increasing to plug the hole left by the US. We are in fast changing times. We have 2 new carriers that no one wants, not even the royal Navy :) we dont have aircraft for them, we dont even have fleet support for them but one ins now posturing its way round the far east wasting money while what we need is boots on the ground in Afgan.
Its funny how , whatever the tech it always comes down to boots on the ground :)

It is strange, you'd think they would want some in between trainer to transition from the Texan to these major jets. The US is still flying the T38 and also the new Navy T45 before you graduate up to the big jets.

That was a neat little plane but I will suppose that the proposed jump from simulator to $80 million dollar aircraft is a bit ‘large’

come to think of it, that is exactly what happened in the movie Battlefield Earth! So yeah I’m sure it’ll be fine

I dont think its that bigger jump, as i say they will still have an amount of fast jet training but but a lot of what was tactical and theoretical training could be done just as well on a simulator. the new Queen Elizabeth carriers here have F35 simulators built in for this very purpose.
We will soon find out...If British pilots start crashing all over the place we might have to rethink this :)

I get what you're saying Paddy. Hell I can walk up to a basic simulator and run patterns around an airport. Did it at the Texas Air Museum a couple of years ago but i'm not going to fool myself to think that I can walk up to a Cesena 150 and do that....ok a Piper Cub I might...:rotf :pilot

The T-38 is scheduled to begin phase-out of USAF service in 2023 being replaced by the Boeing/SAAB T-7 Redhawk. The T-7 will likely be included in the RAAF Hawk 127 (just upgraded to Hawk T.2 standard) replacement competition with all aircraft planned for delivery by 2033 . The RCAF is also studying options to replace the CT155 Hawk, possibly by 2027, which will likely be a mix of simulators and aircraft. Of course, we all know how efficent we have been in completing the CF188 replacement program.

Cheers,
RichB

Young Marine and Naval Aviators are doing their advanced flight training in the License built Pilatus PC-9/ Beechcraft SNJ-II at NAS Pensacola the last time I was there. Hardly a Goshawk in sight. The LT is spoke with comments that the SNJ-II is agile and nimble, and that her systems closely resemble that of the modern Jet aircraft in US Navy service. The T-45C is an awesome little airplane! I am certain the lil' Hawk is too.
American Naval Aviation owes much of what it is today to the innovations of Great Britain's Fleet Air Arm.
A few of us have longer memories than others.

Back