• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vickers/BAC VC10 K4 (Roden 1/144)

RichB

Registered as G-ASGM, Super VC10 Type 1151 C/N 863, first flew in Feb 1968. The following month she entered service with BOAC. In Apr 1974 she transferred to BA and served until May 1980 before being stored at Prestwick. In Sep 1980 she was recalled to duty with BA to support NATO Ex Crusader, returning to Prestwick in early 1981. In Apr she was one of 14 airframes purchased by the RAF for spare parts and was registered as ZD241. She spent the next 10 years in storage at RAF Abingdon having accumulated 45,682 flight hours.

With the retirement of the Victor tanker fleet, ZD241 was one of five selected to be converted to K4 tankers. She arrived in Filton in Apr 1991 to begin the 4 year conversion, becoming a Type 1170. The base Type 1151 did not have the cargo door so she did not have the extra internal fuel tanks found in the K2 & K3 tankers. She was delivered to 101 Sqn in Jun 1995 receiving the aircraft letter "N".

She went on to serve in RAF colours for another 18 years supporting operations around the world. She spent most of her last year of service in the Falkland Islands supporting No. 1312 Flight at RAF Mount Pleasant. By 2008 she became the last K4 in service, finally ending her service in Mar 2013, landing at Bruntingthorpe Airfield after adding another 7,034 flight hours to her log books.

In 2014 ZD241 joined the other 20 aircraft of the Cold War Jet Collection at Bruntingthorpe, being one of the sixteen performing fast taxis during the bi-annual open days.

1519797107301.jpg

Stay tuned for start photos.

Cheers,
Rich

First night of production got the major airframe subassemblies together. Fit was pretty good with some flash, especially along the wing trailing edge. Had to remove the locating pins on the engine pods halves as the other halves holes were filled in. Time to let these parts set up overnight then cleanup seams.

IMG_0929.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

Finished the filling and sanding, for now. Added the landing gear struts and drilled the mounting holes for the pitot probes and antennas to be added later along with the AAR probe on the nose. With the wing pods and aft, centreline refuelling stations on, it looks like a tanker. Before adding the flight deck glazing, I added some sinkers in the nose. The instructions call for 6 g, I put about 8 g in. The flight deck and cabin glazing got a coat of Future. So, will let this sit for a day and then it will be ready for priming. (The kit includes precut masks for all the windows.)

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

So, after such a promising start to tis project, I get myself all setup on Sunday to begin decaling. The first decal hits the water and promptly breaks into a bazillion pieces. :bash:After a period of navel gazing and promising to curse every decals maker on the planet, the good news is I was able to find replacement decals for a VC10 K4 from F-DCAL. The bad news, they are being shipped from France which means the VC10 won't be completed by the end of March.
Onwards and upwards to the next project. :pilot

Rich

(While looking thru the stash, I did find a Pearl Harbor 80 Campaign candidate kit.)

A lot of wing on the beastie, Rich. Usually it is best to buy replacement decals when you buy a Roden kit. I've built three of them and the decals just aren't very good, even if they don't break up.

Well, that sucks. I feel your pain. If I don't have some kind of decal fail on every build, then I just don't feel like I'm tapping my skills enough. Great choice of subject and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Back