• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

EJ's 1960's fleet oiler build AO41

Whoa, those are tiny for soldering! This is going to look amazing if you capture all those lines and hoses like in the picture!

Keep it up!

:popcorn

Went out this morning to pick up my Expedition from the body shop and did a bit of shopping while I was out. There is a model place near me that deals mostly in train stuff, but calls itself "Hobby Recycling". Boy, do they have stuff. Told the guy what I was doing and showed him my painted sample. He dug out a box of wire and said - go to it. I dumped it out on the floor and dug around. This is what I came up with.
T5RXdCa.jpg

They are all plastic sheathed solid copper wire and the same as or near my sample. The top spool is telephone wire. The other spool is cable for digital stuff, the same wire in it as the telephone wire, but also has a fine twisted ground wire and a metal shielding wrap around the bundle. Should be able to use that somewhere. The others are just stuff similar to the bell wire. My sample piece is the short piece on the bottom. If I can't do what I want with this, well.... It all together cost me $2.00. The sheathing color is a kinda dull black and I should be able to bend and handle it without scuffing it all up.
Got some paint on the soldered up hose masts and booms. They look pretty good to me.
8wjPj6n.jpg

EJ

Well, had a bit of a setback. The solder I used was TIX, a low temp solder. The round part on the end of the boom needed a hole in it. When I drilled the hole, 3 of the four parts broke off. Had to clean them up, re-solder with a harder, higher temp solder, and repaint them.
Here they are repaired and drilled.
h4QjcI7.jpg

Today, I installed them to the deck holes with epoxy adhesive. I'll fill the gap at the bottom with white glue and touch up the deck paint.

phqnYtV.jpg

qvDYfFO.jpg

I've started on the hoses and the cables supporting them ans will install each one as I complete them.

EJ

The first hose set. Just the hose hangar cables and hose. Took me a long time to do this. Still have to rig the booms and the boom masts. I'll try the Lycra for that. Gotta trim the wire off at the cable drum yet. Waiting for the glue to set up good.

3FAlQGv.jpg

There's a lot of rigging on this thing. I don't think I'll try to do everything. I have some pics sent to me by a guy that took them aboard Mattaponi in the 60's. I'll post one next post. Those guys refer to the well deck as "The Jungle". I can see why.

EJ

Here's a couple pics of the "jungle". These were taken after her 1960/61 refit, removing the catwalks and adding the raised wooden cargo deck. I'm building her just before the refit. The picks were taken by Cecil Faircloth, and e-mailed to me. I printed them and then photographed them, that's why they are a but fuzzy.

M4HIE2R.jpg

kCTDGaV.jpg

EJ

Another hose set done, for a total of two, including the lift cables and cable drums. Painted the cables steel and the drum (1) ocean grey.

G0Khp7e.jpg

Got the cables cut and tied to the hoses for two more sets.

oGmWElX.jpg

The fine wire is .006 inch copper, taken from a small cable and separated into strands. It's kinda wrinkly looking and not strait. In this pic you can see a couple not straitened and one straitened. The new Infiniti cutting guide, on the back, is some of that film they apply to plastic to keep it from getting all scratched up. I had not removed it. I put a peice of wire on the cutting mat, placed the cutting guide on it with the film side down and rolled it back and forth a few times. You can see one wire in the pic nice and strait.

iBT3KFp.jpg

They come out very nice.

UNYmekd.jpg

Will install and paint the last two hoses tomorrow. Then, move on to some rigging.

EJ

Good progress . I think you could pull the wires through a couple quarters and straighten them that way also.

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, The hoses and cables are finally done! Touched up some paintwork.

vsRPAQf.jpg

u47n387.jpg

I had sprayed some glosscoat on the bow and stern where the markings go, so I think I'll place the markings and spray a flat coat on the whole thing to protect the paint before I do the rigging. There's quite a bit of rigging, much of it with a definite purpose but very haphazard looking. I'll paint and place the guns ( 9 of them) and some deck clutter last so the deck clutter doesn't interfere with the rigging deck tie-downs. I got some nice 3d printed guns from Model Monkey.

Won't be posting for a couple days, prepping for a colonoscopy tomorrow in the morning. What fun!

Have a good Veterans day guys, and thank you to all that served.

EJ

Starting to look interesting. Not the usual ship build.

Don't envy you the prep . Particularly if you're using the VA.

Cheers, Christian B)

Won't be posting for a couple days, prepping for a colonoscopy tomorrow in the morning. What fun!

Have a good Veterans day guys, and thank you to all that served.

EJ

:salute

Good luck with the Prep!

You not the only one, I got a tooth extraction tomorrow. :blink

Wow, sensational work on those hoses and rigs. Man, I love the look of this ship already! Brilliant work man. Good luck on your prep and take care.

Got some more done.

The anchors and the decals. Had to use decals from the stash because there were no "ones".

cfUCJph.jpg

s4koMnz.jpg

Also shows the rudder and screw installed and painted.

The radio mast installed.

RiWBb2s.jpg

The 5"-38

uXJ6CNq.jpg

3"-50's and single 40's. Nearly as soon as they were installed, I broke off a single 40 barrel. Luckily, I have a couple spares. I need to be really careful.

ZmqkCb3.jpg

YpFXAqv.jpg

The 5"-38 was 3-D printed from 3-D models in an orange resin. very nice. The 3"-50's and the single 40's were from Shapeways, 3-D printed in a white/grey resin. Kinda rough looking, but still nicer than the kit guns. I'm gonna try to get them from 3-Models as replacements.

And all painted

Gf1h5nE.jpg

aEN01pT.jpg

nsGRn2D.jpg

Then she went into the spray booth for a complete clearcoat.

EJ

Back