• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

EJ's 1960's fleet oiler build AO41

Sorry, never seen that before. Hope it can be salvaged!

I am impressed by all that tiny detail! Fantastic work!

(y)

Never heard of that problem before but it tends to make sense .

Metal is a conductor and plastic is an insulator .

I would think they will respond to heat/cold at a very different rate . The longer the items are , the greater the difference.

Sorry to hear. Christian B)

Well, I removed the long sections of railing that had buckled, cleaned up the plastic and re-installed it, this time using UV glue. I had done an experiment with it before and it had seemed to work well.
I put a 1 1/2 inch long narrow puddle on my glass work surface. By dipping the PE rail in the puddle, I can get glue on the bottom edge in a nice even application. Placing the PE in place at one end and aligning it, then exposing it to the light I can anchor it down. By prodding it into place with the tip of a hobby knife and exposing it to the light every inch or so, I can anchor it down perfectly. Then, using a fine piece of wire I can fill in any empty spots, sealing the entire bottom edge to the plastic. Then expose the whole thing along the join with the UV light. After doing this, the join is strong enough that I was able to tweak the rail to a perfect, nice, straight, vertical position without popping the join. After touching up the paint it looks great. I'm not sure I want to test it in the extreme cold though. Thank goodness spring is here.

mi29ZmW.jpg

Moving on, I have completed the main deck and forecastle deck rails and ladders and finished patching in the catwalks ready for railings there.

EJ

Gonna get this build done!! Been sitting on the bench for a while now. Figure I'll do it while I'm waiting for aftermarket stuff for my Missouri build.

First, I deleted all the placeholders for the Photobucket pictures. I was so ticked off with PB, I closed my account. Who knew they would allow the pics to be reactivated. So now, even though the picks have returned for many people, mine are gone permanently. This weekend I'm gonna put them on Imjur and repost them here to get back to square one. Might not get all the picks in the right place, but - - - - oh well. gotta start someplace.

EJ

OK, Friday I edited all the old posts and deleted the Photobucket placeholders. Those things take up space and are ugly as, well, you know.

Today, I downloaded all the pics from my hard drive to Imjur, sorted them and put them in a "Mattaponi" folder.

Then, went back and edited all my posts in this thread, adding the picks from Imjur to get the thread back to where it was. I hope I got the picks all in the right place.

Next post - where the build is now.

EJ

Now, this is what she looks like now. The vents and masts are not glued in place.

hNUIiQU.jpg

gZWFYry.jpg

tg2OhSS.jpg

The hose masts and booms, I don't like them.

d6ezK9D.jpg

I want to show them as ready to deploy, with hose. Looking kinda like this.

1warlXT.jpg

The rigging and hose work will have to go together hand in hand.

PJHGqwc.jpg

I'm gonna make the masts and booms of brass rod soldered together for strength, otherwise I'll break them every time I get near one. I'm thinking of using very fine spring or music wire for the standing rigging, and fine eze line for the misc rigging.

Then, the guns. I've got a nice selection of gunnery for it.

From Shapeways, made in 1/500 special for me -

LLwGZKd.jpg

XzzEoT7.jpg

brbjGTi.jpg

From 3D model parts

A6gSBC8.jpg

6T0DrW8.jpg

Z3eJU9l.jpg

1bfulKa.jpg

This should keep me busy until I get the aftermarket for my Missouri build.

EJ

That's super-human job on the chunky old Revell vessel! Stay the coarse EJ! She's looking tidy & trim!
:salute
:good:
:drinks

Thank you EJ for taking the effort to clean up after photobucket's mess. There are some really good threads on this forum that are now just trash because of them. Oiler is looking great, don't envy you on this rigging job. :popcorn

Thank you EJ for taking the effort to clean up after photobucket's mess. There are some really good threads on this forum that are now just trash because of them. Oiler is looking great, don't envy you on this rigging job. :popcorn

Thanks. I think reposting is worth the effort. Imjur I find easy to work with and it certainly brought the thread back to life. I've got a couple more threads of incomplete builds on here that I will do the same with when I resurrect them.

Thanks for your comments.

EJ

Played with making the hose masts and booms from bits of brass rod & tube. Each has 9 pieces, four booms.

This is what I cut -

QD6LgZ1.jpg

Got some soldering done.

NP1A9gg.jpg

Just gotta solder up the base rings and make a pin to fix them in the hole on the deck. I think I'll try bending up the hose and attaching it before I intall them to the deck though. Maybe tomorrow.

EJ

Finished em up with the base plate, top bearing and a pin to mount them to the deck.

uET7jhW.jpg

Now, for the hose, I'm looking in the junk pile for some solid copper electronics wire with black insulation. Geeze I miss Radio Shack!

EJ

Had a can of Tamiya primer for metals. Never used it before, so I thought I'd give it a try. Shook it for a couple minits. When I sprayed it, it came out clear, and boy, did that stuff stink! I'm glad I have a spray booth.

QwJptCn.jpg

Then, searched through my wire stash. I think those hoses were about 8" in diameter. That's .02" or 24 guage at 1/525. I found some in the stash that was an insulated wire, but not nearly enough. But I did find these,in black.

HDeioqw.jpg

e5AcOwa.jpg

From top to bottom -

20g (.032") parawire, black coated jewelry wire.

26g (.016") parawire black

28g (.012") black soft iron wire

and some really skinny wire from a teeny magnetic coil, .003" or about 1/128". This is copper color and has an electrical insulating coating so has to be lightly sanded then blackened.

26g looks really skimpy to me, so I think I'll go with 20g. I'm gonna do a mock up of both 20g and 22g (I will have to paint that black). The 28g might work for the cable rigging that holds up the hoses.

EJ

Back