• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard 1/48 P-38J Over Europe In-Box Review

Jeeves

Well-- I have it...my precious! Ok...now to be serious...thanks to Sprue Brothers, I have one of 1500 of these new kits that revamp the Academy offering. I meant to do it as an article...but got about 90% done and hit some button that swiped everything clean...so just a straight thread instead...
002%7E15.jpg

First off, a little bit on what is in the Acedemy base kit...
Sprue A is the top and bottom wing halves...very subtle details...the nose wheel well is pretty sparse and could use some detailing...
020.jpg

Next up- Sprue B (X2) are the nacelles for the twin boom fuselage...
007%7E11.jpg

Sprue C is the front of the engine scoops and the nose where all 5 guns go...
011%7E5.jpg

Sprue D is two pieces...first is the main section with the horizontal stabilizer, gear doors, and drop tanks...
012%7E3.jpg

The other part to this (which Eduard has blanked out?) are superchargers, small intakes, and triple tube rocket launchers. I am assuming these are blanked out because the Brassin parts replace them...all except the triple tubes, which in some cases were fuselage mounted...either way-- some good stuff for the spares box...
013%7E2.jpg

Sprue E is the busiest...parts for props, bombs, office side panels, gear struts and wheels, and HVAR rockets...don't see the Christmas tree racks for them though...so more spares!
021.jpg

Sprue F has more bomb parts, as well as structural parts for the main gear wells...
010%7E5.jpg

Sprue G are the clear parts...very shallow lines-- but Eduard provides masks for them...
009%7E4.jpg

There is also a sprue of three black vinyl tires...but when you see the Brassin ones, you'll want to dispose of them ;)

Now-- onto what Eduard brings to the table...there are 5 separate baggies in the kit....first one has parts for the control yoke, rudder pedals, a lever, and gun sight...
003%7E17.jpg

Next baggy contains sidewall panels, instrument panel back, and seat back parts...
004%7E15.jpg

Next are the amazing gear wheels and hubs...great detail...a little bit of flash in the spoke openings...but worth the great detail...
016.jpg

Next are the superchargers, and all the scoops that replace the blah kit ones...
017.jpg

The last Brassin baggy has the main office, seat and battery/radio deck for behind the seat, and another panel section and yoke support
018.jpg

Eduard has provided two frets of PE-- one colored and the other not...as well as masks for the clear pieces and wheels...
022.jpg

The decals are crisp and clear...some great options to choose from...6 to be exact...

*"Kozy Koza" is the main featured one-- a P-38J-25-LO flown by 1st. Lt. Sam Plotecia of the 392nd FS, 367th FG based at Juvincourt AB, France, 1944

*"Little Buckaroo"- a P-38J-25-LO flown by Maj. Robert C. Rogers from the 492nd FS, 367th FG based at Peray, France, Aug, '44

*"My Little Pig"-- a P-38J-10-LO flown by Lt. Jack M. Jarell of the 485th FS, 370th FG

*"Moonlight Cock-Tail"-- a P-38J-15-LO flown by 1st. Lt. Clark R. Livingston from the 392nd FS, 367th FG- also from Juvincourt AB in France-- Dec. '44

*"Geanne"- a P-38J-10-LO flown by Capt. Roy Scruthfield of 55th FS, 20th FG-- King's Cliffe AB in Egland- 1943-44 (this has the sharkmouth on the nacelles...yay for Saul!

*(I can't make out the name of this one-- but it's got a big skull on it!)-- a P-38J-10-LO flown by Maj. Joseph Myers, 38th FS, 55th FG, Nuthampstead AB- England- November '43
023.jpg

The instruction sheet is well done and pretty clear overall...with labels for all the Brassin parts spelled out...
024.jpg

Even the profiles for decal placement is worthy of being hung up...nicely done!
025.jpg

Overall-- there's quite a bit in the box for hours of enjoyment...hopefully I can get to it once these summer builds end...thanks for looking!

The name with the skull is Journey's End and the sharkmouth is Jeanne... in the same 'square' as the rockets, you will find the 'Christmas trees' in disassembled form.

Regards,

Good job Mike, I'd pay extra for the instruction sheet that combines aftermarket and kit construction.

I looked over your sprues, I haven't opened mine yet, you see any optional parts for the F4 recon version?

Nice to see Eduard delving into the world of the 3rd dimension. Thats been my biggest complaint about their stuff

BTW, are their two nose cones?

you see any optional parts for the F4 recon version?...
BTW, are their two nose cones?

Bob, while I am not Mike, I have built three of the Academy kits for a collector. The kit comes with two noses, one being more accurate than the other. The 'incorrect' one, with the main gear wells, was listed to be used in the P-38M kit (the sprues still show the radar pod). The F-5, released by MRC using Academy molds, had a different sprue C (the smaller one on the right) with the side camera panels. Of course, all the aforementioned releases had dedicated clear sprues.

Regards,

Thanks for helping clear up everything Saúl....I wouldn't have been able to answer Bobs questions so I am grateful for your knowledge. Hard part for me is deciding which scheme to use...sigh! Good to know the option to add HVARs to the loadout is available...

I know I'm going NMF whatever scheme I do!

I just realized...I have NEVER done a P38. Think I did the DROOP SNOOT when I was a kid but I've never attempted the fighter.

I did the Revell one way back when I first started...hand painted it with Testors enamel silver...eww! :)

Back