• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hobbycraft 1/48 CF-105 Arrow

jeaton01

I started this on in November of last year and can't find a post on it here, though I'm sure it has been mentioned a time or two.
I think this one is done enough for me, it's been a lot of work on a kit that gives you less to work with than it could. It is the second kit Hobbycraft released of the CF-105 in 1/48 and is an upgraded version of the first. Which is to say that it has parts the do fit to each other, unlike the first kit which I also have. That one has parts that just don't meet the part it is supposed to and is generally just a poorer molding in many respects. I added a resin canopy set, ejection seats, wheels, and burner cans from Iroquois Models. The burner cans were too shallow so I extended them with tubes to deepen the ducting. The canopy set afforded open hatches, although I did use some of the kit clear parts for the front windscreen and the second seat hatch. Decals were made for the instrument panels and side consoles based on photos from some books in my library on the Arrow. I made intake ducts from fiberglass moldings as the kit ducts were only 1/4 inch deep. Iroquois has announced an improved landing gear for this kit, but it is not yet produced and I have my doubts about that happening. If they do I might replace the main gear with them, but in the event I just added some rib detail ion the gear bays and added some two part epoxy here and there. I shortened the main gear considerably to get the proper nose high sit for the model, I may have also lengthened the nose gear but may not have. I did lower where it fits in the nose gear bay, as a part of establishing a place to mount it securely as the pins on the strut were too short to reach the appointed spots.

The decals were from Canuck Models and worked very well.

The CF-105 was supplanted by the Bomarc missile, and it's spot was also filled later by CF-101B's. It was a big airplane. The F-101B is pretty large itself, but especially from above the CF-105 looks much larger.

0351arrow.jpg

0361arrow.jpg

0371arrow.jpg

0391arrow.jpg

0401arrow.jpg

Sweet build John. There was a VooDoo gate guard up in GFAFB so I got an idea how big that rascal is. The Arrow was HUGE!
Nice job.

What a BEAST! It's a good thing the sky is a big place!
"Hey Ole!"
"Ja, Sven?"
"Come and get me! I over here behind this little bitty cloud, ay!"

I always wondered how the canopy opened on the Arrow. Mystery solved!
Good job John! :notworthy

Nicely done! I've never heard of this plane before. Quite strange looking! Looks like its all engine.

Back