• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon King Tiger

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
After a few wishy washy moments, I decided to go with an out of the box version of the King Tiger, modeling the paint scheme after one from France, July 1944.

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5644.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5648.JPG

IMG_5649.JPG

The intended paint scheme..

IMG_5650.JPG

And away we go!

Jackie_Gleason.jpg

:drinks

Thank you Terry, Mats, Erik, Joey, Bob, James and Ron!! I had the day off today, so between what I did last night and today, I managed to get most of the construction done. It helps to have good references and having built a couple other KT kits, this one went together pretty easily.

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG

IMG_5655.JPG

I made the conduit for the headlight, forgot that Dragon includes a pre-bent piece. Otherwise, this is straight from the box. I plan to add the fenders, but need to get the hull primed and base coated so I can install the tracks. Otherwise, if you put der fenders in place, you will have fun trying to install der tracks!! :D

Artie_Johnson.jpg

Guess my next step is ROAD WHEELS! :pinch:

:drinks

Dear Mike.

...great choice!...love the start...following with a big attention :dude

Best regards :drinks

Luiz,

MIKE ,

Rock-On !! :ro: :ro: A very Clean Build ! This kit looks like it fell together ! I'm lookin forward to th Paint & weathering !

:drinks :drinks - German Roadwheels have to be hands down ... I least favorite part in a build !

Rock-On Brotha' !!

:erik

Thank you, friends!! I made some progress today, after I got over (not really) losing the sprockets for my Panzer IV for El Alamein! I felt the molded zimmerit was a bit too "fresh", so I added some damage at some of the edges.

IMG_5667.JPG

This was done with my micro chisel, trusty X-Acto and a burr in my Dremel.

IMG_5668.JPG

The kit come with a set of metal shackles, but no pins, so I dug in the AM box and found a set I had bought and forgotten. :blush:

IMG_5669.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

I find it hard to paint if the tracks are in place, so I primed everything with Tamiya Grey Primer and then a coat of Tamiya Semi Gloss Black. The lower hull is painted with AK Interactive's Dunkelgelb Base.

IMG_5671.JPG

IMG_5672.JPG

IMG_5673%7E0.JPG

IMG_5674.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG

Since I am using the kit's Magic Tracks, I broke out the blue tape and did my buddy Greg's method of determining track length.

IMG_5676.JPG

IMG_5677.JPG

You just wrap the tape around the sprockets, idlers and wheels, stick the tape together, then cut it in two. Unwrap the tape from the assembly and lay on your track assembly board. I marked the length with a Sharpie right on the board for use on the next run. Lay blue tape sticky side up and secure the ends with more tape. The already cleaned links can be assembled right on the tape. The King Tiger had two different links, alternating like some Soviet stuff. I found it easier to put two links together, then add them to the first link.

IMG_5678.JPG

IMG_5682.JPG

IMG_5681.JPG

IMG_5679.JPG

I liberally coat the inside of the track with Testor's Liquid Cement, let it dry about 10 minutes, then painted the run with cheap flat black spray paint. Waited about 10 more minutes and carefully removed the run from the tape and painted the other side. The whole run is then wrapped around the idlers and such, just like the real deal.

IMG_5680.JPG

That's how I do it. Thanks for looking! :drinks

Back