• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dora 1/35

Hi to all
Our friend Paul(heavens eagle) pointed me of a possible error on the ammo cars in case I haven’t noticed it.
He noticed the width of the doors seem to be bigger than on the reference photo, and the width of the rungs also seemed bigger. The reason for all this is as follows, the ammo cars in my reference photos
Have many differences one from the other, for example in some of the cars the front step has being removed and the doors length increased to cover the gap, others have different size rungs and also different hand rails. The ammo car I used for reference have wider rungs, but in one of the photos I posted the car has shorter rungs.

So For the benefit of all I want to explain what I did it this way

The width of the doors on my cars is based on the width of the loading cart, in the following photos
You can see what I did.

This is the reference photo he is referring to
uGuaJUt.jpg

In this photo you can see that the cars seem to have the wider rungs and the doors partially covering it
iUSbz2Z.jpg

Here the gap between the loading cart and the door is only about 4mm
ECFIEe4.jpg

DDvouiu.jpg

caIVUTw.jpg

This is the photo I used for the rungs and other details, here you can see the wider rungs so when the
Doors are opened it will cover part of the rung
YYUUVVg.jpg

Here is another example of the wider rungs
iJOuTse.jpg

An example of shorter rungs also a different hand rail
qzDrIUw.jpg

The short rungs are also present in my reference photo but in the back side along with a hand rail
At first I did both sides with no hand rail only the bar with a grab handle, but this was corrected last
Week, the rungs in the back still need to be shortened as in the photo, thanks to Paul pointing this I noticed the shorter rungs at the back side,
EkAqVsR.jpg

Thanks to him I now noticed that the rear rungs need to be corrected, so THANKS my friend!
Sometimes we miss the most obvious details but that is part of the fun, correcting the mistakes
And having friends that help you pointing it out.

Abdin

I didn't comment after this last post. Amazing work Abdin, :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y)

You know Abdin,

I mentioned before on this thread that I have one of these on my shelf. I had planned to build it in the future into a diorama with the gantry cranes and basically show the Germans assembling it in preparation for a bombardment!

However, the incredible amount of quality work you have done on this is so awesome, I think I'll sell mine because after everybody sees all you have done to it, mine would be poor in comparison!

Fabulous, just fabulous!!

Bob

moon puppuy thanks :Hiay

Bob thank you, you can do it ootb and nobody will notice, it still looks awesome with out any mods :coolio

HI friends, sorry for the long time after the last post, I’m in the stage of painting this monster and it is so time consuming due to the size of the parts. Here are some photos of the almost finished painting ammo wagons.

First is the correction to the wagons balcony hand rail, I made this the same on both sides and
It was wrong, one side is open for the elevator platform to land on it, and the other is a normal hand rail open in the middle.

Here is how it was made the first time, just one hand grab bar on an L
kMISy1c.jpg

The L was shortened and the other parts added, now it is correct for this side
Ca9ZvyQ.jpg

3UmyM2a.jpg

9UNIbFk.jpg

After correcting both wagons I made the markings as close to the only photo I have of the originals as I could using two sets of archer dry transfers, I combined from both the Leopold set and the Rail car set.
pHnyUJn.jpg

First the wagons are painted with panzer grey, then some coats of panzer grey with white followed by some weathering with powders, oils wash and some dry brushing
e5VQKjS.jpg

6jVHEss.jpg

bd7Fwn5.jpg

The rails are painted and the interior received some dusting with powders
LIvr064.jpg

GZkWcti.jpg

CfGlDtw.jpg

This is the only photo of the side of the ammo wagons that I have showing part
of the markings
J3j9q4h.png

The markings are applied and more dust with the powders
AfUhfUu.jpg

qTFQb7v.jpg

pwrJmhf.jpg

qqTvP2A.jpg

105Qh4y.jpg

qlGxYQ2.jpg

Here I did an alignment test with the elevator to make sure everything is ok
PB4Grgp.jpg

Still working on the paint process of all the cars and bridges, hope to finish soon
lxNVdFn.jpg

PQIgtmo.jpg

Rqpg9lm.jpg

Finally made the base for Dora, it measures 3’’ tall by 2’ wide x 6.5’ long
EoGwYtB.jpg

The underside with all the reinforcements, hope it is enough
U74Dp7H.jpg

The table is 6 foot long
SbtFCfR.jpg

As soon as the paint is finished I can start laying the tracks and making the terrain.

Thanks for watching!

Abdin

Bob, Mike and Luiz thanks!

Paul Im inching towars finishing, its being lots of hours, cant wait to see it finished

Piet thanks!

Moon puppy Its going to be interestig how to move this beast ounce finished, thinking about
Not gluing it to the base, so it can be transported boxed plus the base, I have even though
About splitting the base in two to make it easier :gogo :gogo

Tony and Christian thanks!

Wow, I am overwhelmed. This is beyond anything I've seen to date. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Now I'd like to know, will you have a separate base for the ammunition cars? The Dora itself will fit on the 6.5-foot base; I know because a friend of mine built one of these and he needed that exact size just for his gun. Also, did you test the elevator and ammo cart with a round on it? From the angle of your pic it seemed the top of the door is too low. Then again, the elevator could have still been slightly elevated too.

My friend transported his with two handles and two people in a minivan. :hmmm :v

HI friends, sorry for the long time after the last post, I’m in the stage of painting this monster and it is so time consuming due to the size of the parts. Here are some photos of the almost finished painting ammo wagons.

First is the correction to the wagons balcony hand rail, I made this the same on both sides and
It was wrong, one side is open for the elevator platform to land on it, and the other is a normal hand rail open in the middle.

Here is how it was made the first time, just one hand grab bar on an L
kMISy1c.jpg

The L was shortened and the other parts added, now it is correct for this side
Ca9ZvyQ.jpg

3UmyM2a.jpg

9UNIbFk.jpg

After correcting both wagons I made the markings as close to the only photo I have of the originals as I could using two sets of archer dry transfers, I combined from both the Leopold set and the Rail car set.
pHnyUJn.jpg

First the wagons are painted with panzer grey, then some coats of panzer grey with white followed by some weathering with powders, oils wash and some dry brushing
e5VQKjS.jpg

6jVHEss.jpg

bd7Fwn5.jpg

The rails are painted and the interior received some dusting with powders
LIvr064.jpg

GZkWcti.jpg

CfGlDtw.jpg

This is the only photo of the side of the ammo wagons that I have showing part
of the markings
J3j9q4h.png

The markings are applied and more dust with the powders
AfUhfUu.jpg

qTFQb7v.jpg

pwrJmhf.jpg

qqTvP2A.jpg

105Qh4y.jpg

qlGxYQ2.jpg

Here I did an alignment test with the elevator to make sure everything is ok
PB4Grgp.jpg

Still working on the paint process of all the cars and bridges, hope to finish soon
lxNVdFn.jpg

PQIgtmo.jpg

Rqpg9lm.jpg

Finally made the base for Dora, it measures 3’’ tall by 2’ wide x 6.5’ long
EoGwYtB.jpg

The underside with all the reinforcements, hope it is enough
U74Dp7H.jpg

The table is 6 foot long
SbtFCfR.jpg

As soon as the paint is finished I can start laying the tracks and making the terrain.

Thanks for watching!

Abdin

Simply beyond words!

Mark thanks my friend, and to answer your questions, the size of the base is 6.5 feet long
And the Dora fits ok with the ammo wagon behind it.

Here you can see just Dora on the 6 foot table
kvjWYTU.jpg

Here I added one of the wagons still to be converted, the track is still 6 foot long
Aw0lKPb.jpg

TOetn3w.jpg

KH98s5U.jpg

The track is going to be 6.5 feet long so I should have the space needed for it to be ok.

Now, the height on the entrance of the wagon seems to be a tight fit as you can see in this photo
5ZWXOWX.jpg

This is how close it passes on the model
itVB0XL.jpg

5UmgIai.jpg

rTBsE0j.jpg

But just to make sure the top small door can be made 2mm taller so create more space
For the shell and the charges to pass through it with enough space.

Already adjusted and uploaded the dimensions on the drawings to correct it

Thanks!
Abdin

Back