• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dora 1/35

Beautiful work Abdin, the detail on this is amazing!

I hope all is well too. I am just back from 2 weeks at sea. We came in because Maria is expected to come up the coast and didn't want to get caught in it. Good luck!

I'm glad to hear you made it and are safe. Take your time getting back on your feet, your work is well worth the wait.

Finally we got electric energy last night after a complete month without it, water is slowly back one day with and one without everything else is returning to almost normal, thanks god. the energy guys told me that in some parts of the island it could take about a year to regain electricity...wow. It was an experience Im never going to forget. I was about to post an update just when the hurricane came so its due. thanks to you all for your prayers and will be back soon.

Puerto Rico se levanta (Puerto Rico stands up)

thanks!

Abdin

Good to hear you're safe. Man a year without hydro, that's hard to wrap the head around.
Hope you get your water situation fixed soon and everything goes back to normal quickly. Stay safe. Sending some :zen
James

Of course, the most important thing is that you're safe. All the rest can be dealt with, just a matter of time!

So glad to have you back!

Bob

Finally we got electric energy last night after a complete month without it, water is slowly back one day with and one without everything else is returning to almost normal, thanks god. the energy guys told me that in some parts of the island it could take about a year to regain electricity...wow. It was an experience Im never going to forget. I was about to post an update just when the hurricane came so its due. thanks to you all for your prayers and will be back soon.

Puerto Rico se levanta (Puerto Rico stands up)

thanks!

Abdin

Glad to hear from you Abdin!

:ro:

Glad to hear you're OK. Hard to fully understand the actual situation in Puerto Rico right now . Prayers for all of you.

I have a friend that lives there most of the year . Luckily , he was in the US mainland when the storm hit . He feeds us pictures now and then . Unimaginable :blink

Regards, Christian B)

¡Boricua!

Glad to read things are getting better day by day. Many in my family made it out but can't return (to Rincón) since flights to Aguadilla (BQN) are cancelled and replaced with humanitarian service. So, they have no idea if their homes have been looted in their absence.

Regards,

Glad to see you are pulling through Abdin! Looking forward to your next Dora update when you can get around to doing one. (y)

Hi my friends, things are slowly getting better we have power on my town since two weeks ago
I live in one of the main streets, we still have problems with the water service, as of today its being
Two weeks without it, hope they can fix the problems soon. Thanks to all for your words and prayers
Every day I see more of the damage and destruction that Maria did around the island by Facebook
And on the news. We have a long way to recover but thanking good we are ok.
So here with a new update on Dora work that I was about to post right when the hurricane hit us, more mods have being done so here is part of it, I’m working on the main platform and wanted to correct an error here, as you can see on the photo When the loading platform is in the raised position and the shell cart is on its side there is a big gap between it. This gap is not supposed to be there, the platform should be at the same height and very close to the shell tray so it can be pushed from the cart on to the platform.

Here you can see the gap between the loading tray and the platform
6NBIrw0.jpg

Another big error is that the platform is divided in a strange way as part of it is molded into the floor this is a terrible design error as even the hinges of the access doors on the platform stays on the floor and the other half lifts with the platform when in the raised position.
bqvCxuX.jpg

So to fix this I started by cutting the area from the floor that belongs to the platform
Msejy9W.jpg

The cut must be done parallel to the loading cart rail and the same length of the loading platform
lzqDNFq.jpg

Here you can see the area removed from the floor
A9bk3sk.jpg

G13sdA7.jpg

Now the cart rail is removed and replaced with styrene as it has gaps that should not be there
2ZphXKW.jpg

The rail is fixed with the styrene strip, it measures
iyWqJaj.jpg

Now the pieces removed from the floor are to be glued to the loading platform at each side
R7Vo6au.jpg

This is how it looks with the glued part in place, do this on the other side also
MnmMMUy.jpg

With that part done now you need to cut the same amount from the main floor base so that the
Now widened loading platform can fit on it again

This inner walls on each side are cut first as it needs to be glued back again ounce you enlarge the area
I started cutting on the back all the way down
ob5I9kx.jpg

Then cut the lower side
TGkwkLN.jpg

The wall is carefully removed, now after marking each side the area is widened by 10mm
Wly6TkR.jpg

s0ZJKAe.jpg

I used the dremmel to smooth the sides a little then with a sand board sanded each side smooth
M9BS76A.jpg

sEyjcJ3.jpg

k7tE3mK.jpg

589StZE.jpg

pR2uYeh.jpg

c8ERyvQ.jpg

Now each wall is sanded smooth on the inside
V7k5Dz7.jpg

The walls are glued back in place
9UlDsAI.jpg

J0WgnWm.jpg

a3ZO82N.jpg

BHuszhv.jpg

This reinforcements under the floor most be trimmed a little for the floor to fit in place
5Z4kSld.jpg

This is how the area for the loading platform looks now about 20mm wider
KAhIpke.jpg

PYQ9j11.jpg

Because of the increase in the loading platform width the locking pins used to lock the platform in the upper or lower position most be reworked, I made new pins with styrene rod and tube

I had the original pins already installed, so to replace it I had to cut the tube in half to remove the pins and spring
MNQD9Rn.jpg

This are the originals, the pins need to be longer now to compensate for the new width
njbJAC1.jpg

Using a piece of styrene tube 3.2mm by 31mm long and a piece of styrene tube 4.8mm by 5mm long
The new ones are made, one end has being rounded as the original
y9Tu9W1.jpg

The tube is glued in place on the rod
y9Tu9W1.jpg

Here I have inserted the new pins and spring and glued the tube again with Tamiya thin glue and reinforced it with super glue on the outside
JRidr6n.jpg

The new side walls for the platform are done with styrene sheet measuring 148mm by 36mm
sDUOCHy.jpg

The holes for the pins are drilled and the walls glued in place
qdKe4PP.jpg

qSAtRXX.jpg

Using a 5mm by 2.4mm I beam I cut 10 pieces measuring 36mm long for the side ribs
hTwR8Jl.jpg

With the I beams in place the loading platform is the same width as the main platform
hfrVYBE.jpg

BBIdF1q.jpg

The platform in place to check everything is ok
Q5wY0eL.jpg

Notice the loading cart rail is on its side as close as possible so the load can be transferred easily to the loading platform
2DJfwB8.jpg

And in the lowered position
Q6qdxiv.jpg

giE1ZJF.jpg

With that done I started to construct the barrel, with the drawings and measurements done
I started cutting it, the barrel is too long so it must be corrected. After all the cuts you end removing
302mm or 11.88 inches from it, that’s almost a foot!

Here is the measurements drawing with the sections to be removed
xCgts51.jpg

I started with the front half of the barrel and cut 176mm from it
UGA4c5M.jpg

Next 15mm are removed from the back of the front half
wPXf9md.jpg

On The rear half of the barrel you need to remove 3 sections, 26mm, 25mm and 60mm. the photo shows the original part on top and the modified part below with the removed sections
VfkqgA8.jpg

Again the original part above and the modified part below
BsAlMxi.jpg

A view of the front section of the barrel, with the cuts already done
QwFU2l4.jpg

Comparison of the original length and the new length of the front half of the barrel
pMVZvft.jpg

Finally the sections are glued together
pTgwxPq.jpg

The finished barrel, almost a foot shorter!
OyvC9g2.jpg

The lower recuperator base has some details that need to be corrected, there are two
Socket tools on each side, I removed the molded ones and made new ones from styrene
Sheet and tube
MZK13ma.jpg

I removed the molded ones with a chisel blade
QwZvZVw.jpg

I made a drawing of the new parts with all the measurements
HFbuTHW.jpg

I started by the handles using 1mm styrene sheet
GpHopGr.jpg

And cut the 4 tubes
HARNOa7.jpg

I glued the tubes and started to trim the handles
oRe4uEz.jpg

Using PE leftover carrier I made the brackets for the tools
Bu5DRaq.jpg

After gluing the tools on its new location the brackets are added
frqelx0.jpg

Finally bits of styrene rod are used to make the bolts detail
Jv3O07T.jpg

And the reference photo
RvT5OyU.jpg

The work on the loading platform is not finish yet as new photo reference shows it still need some changes, the same with the shell and charge loading carts, already working on it.

Abdin

You are doing a fabulous job Abdin! :notworthy (y)

I am surprised that the barrel in the kit is so much longer. Did they just miss it or was there a change in the barrel length for the one you are building. Of course I have been building some Trumpeter kits that are as incorrect as this one is turning out to be. It always surprises me that kit makers screw up so bad on basic stuff that there is adequate information on. While this is a tricky one for source material you seem to have plenty of reference to go by so I wonder "why?".

Back