• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

digital camera for the working man

ok its looking like I'm about ready to take the plunge and start snappin pics of my work to save for eternity. They all end up in the trash eventually right? I really want to get them on line here to share. As is most everything I buy, it should be a versatile camera that will do the trick up close(not too close) :unsure: and normal picture taking. A good solid easy to use one.I don't think a camera that specializes in one thing will serve me well. So what kind of camera would be good for this work? Is there a favorite among model builders? Remember boys and girls, I am a workin man.
t.y.v.m.

Any current digital camera with more than 5-6MP (megapixel) will certainly give you a decent quality picture for general photos.

If your budget will allow, I would recommend a digital SLR which will allow you to control the aperture priority. This helps to control what is in and out of focus in your picture. This is important when taking closeup photos of your models.

Also a tripod and remote shutter release is useful. This will allow you to take steady photos without using the flash. I find that the flash creates photos with too harsh of a light source and washes out the colours on the models.

Any name brand - Canon, Nikon, Kodak, Sony etc - these days will do the job. Your choice will really depend on what your budget is, and how serious you are about the quality of the photos.

I currently have a Canon EOS 400D (10MP) which is a reasonable current mid range digital SLR which I am pretty happy with.

Hi tanktrax. Already i'm finding out new stuff about photography. I thought a flash was pretty much mandatory unless the subject is outside in the daylight? From what i have been seeing here there is some kind of background color like poster board or cloth? Or if someone wants to be fancy use some kind of a scenic background? Give me a price range on some useful cameras. I don't know much about taking pictures and am a little worried about asking someone at walmart for advice.No offense walmart :blush:

Here are some pictures I have taken in the past with the same camera -

Full auto with flash and no aperture priority set -

http://gallery.me.com/john.marcus#100008&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Example (see how little is in focus, harsh light) -

http://gallery.me.com/john.marcus#100008/IMG_0030&bgcolor=black

Aperture priority with no flash -

http://gallery.me.com/john.marcus#100016&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Example (entire model is in focus, natural colours) -

http://gallery.me.com/john.marcus#100016/IMG_0144&bgcolor=black

In the first set, the colours tend to be harsh and washed out and you will notice how little of each model is actually in focus.

In the second set all natural or local light was used. Unfortunately I would have liked more light, but in most of the photos you will notice that most of the model is in focus.

In the end, it depends on what you are looking for in a photo. Everyone has different preferences and views. For me, I want maximum in-focus when taking pictures of model kits.

A good website with camera reviews (and links to prices) is http://www.dpreview.com

Hi tanktrax. Already i'm finding out new stuff about photography. I thought a flash was pretty much mandatory unless the subject is outside in the daylight? From what i have been seeing here there is some kind of background color like poster board or cloth? Or if someone wants to be fancy use some kind of a scenic background? Give me a price range on some useful cameras. I don't know much about taking pictures and am a little worried about asking someone at walmart for advice.No offense walmart :blush:

woodcutter wrote:
I thought a flash was pretty much mandatory unless the subject is outside in the daylight?

It really depends on your preference. See my photos in the above post. If you are happy with the flash and lack of focus, and just taking quick photos, then get a compact digital camera (>8MP) as they are pretty cheap (starting around $150US). If you want flexibility and your budget stretches, then consider a digital SLR (10MP/lens/accessories is probably $500US upwards).

From what i have been seeing here there is some kind of background color like poster board or cloth?

I use coloured paper (thick) that you get from an art store. Cloth also works, but I don't like the inevitable creases you get with cloth.

Or if someone wants to be fancy use some kind of a scenic background?

Scenic backgrounds can look good, but are very difficult to get and do and still look natural. I think it is more trouble than it is worth.

Ok. I've uploaded the 2 pictures here to Tank & Things -

This first one was done on the default camera settings with flash and no aperture priority. As you can see the colours are harsh and very little of the kit is in focus - depth of field (barrel, rear of the tank and machine gun on the turret) -

centurian_20091231_1484004353.jpg

This second one was done on aperture priority and no flash. Much more natural colours and almost the entire model is in focus, although a bit dark (not enough light in this example) -

tiger_20091231_1723578478.jpg

Hey, Woodcutter

I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS from Best Buy for about $300.00.
I, also, was looking for a digital camera for everyday use that would allow me to take quality, closeup pics of models for posting on web sites. So far, it's been very effective and user-friendly, which, for a novice such as myself, was an added bonus. However, I still have a lot to learn about the camera's finer points.
The mega pixels are 9.0 with a 10x zoom and a 3" LCD. It comes with an interface cable and the necessary software. It shoots video, too, but I've yet to experiment with that option. It works great connected to my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop with Vista Home Premium, but I can also connect it directly to my Canon printer.
I'd hoped to find something less expensive, but nothing else provided the required capabilities.
I hope this info somehow helps you in your search.
Good luck, Randy

Hey tank; we use mozilla firefox. always have, so I dont understand why its an issue now that T&T got the new site. well, it is a windows 98 os. Hey it was free :woohoo: appreciate you bringing up those pics there i see what you mean now.
thanks Randy and Viper. Now at least I have something to work with when we go shopping :) Happy New Year :laugh:

I am using the Canon Powershot A590 IS. I really like this Camera. I use her on either a small table tripod or a regular one and I take my picture with no flash, macro on and 10 sec timer. Works good for so far. I also use a big white poster board as background.

Joe

As with most of us, if cost is a factor in your choice you could also include hybrid model cameras in your search for a newie.
You don't have the cost of a full SLR kit out and if you choose wisely can still have all of the manual functions of one.

For a third of the cost I picked up an Olympus with 12MP and 20X optical zoom which helps when snapping those small details. The only thing I can't do with it that an SLR can do is change lenses. Although you can get custom lenses for it when using an adaptor ring.

Unless you want the manual functions you can still find decent point and shoot models too.
Some of my best photos that people assumed I was a professional photographer and used and SLR for were taken using a $200 Kodak number.

Most stores will let you snap around with the demo model and even print a pic off if they have the facilities so look around and go with what feels right and the most appropriate for your needs. It will tell you more about what you want than any review.

Make sure that the camera has a Macro setting this allows you to take the close ups of the models and the camera will set the aperture and speed. For a unit without a popup flash, but the flash is built in, you can tape a small piece of kleenex over the flash and it will cut the flash and dispurse the light to help.
My old Digital is a Canon Powershot A530 and works real well with the kleenex. It is very small and clips to the belt for vacation. It will photo a 1/35 figure nicely but can only go as close as 2/3 of the figure in the image. It will not do a close up of just the head. 2/3rds is OK for most 35th figures. The cost was $250.00 new around four years ago. It is also a great camera for vacation with a 4 times optical zoom lens built into it.
There are some nice small camera's out there for around $200-$250 that will take great photo's for both family and model situations.
Hope this does not muddy up the waters to much for you.
Cheers
John

i love my Nikon d-50 it seems to do everything i need and is a rugged DSLR you get one for as low as 100 us dollars now i used to have a powershot by canon but it made me nervous everytime i got too close to some poor fellows model to do a macro shot .... i was always afraid of getting smacked if i hit the model with lens so with the DSLR i havent had to worry about getting so close ! good luck and have fun

Back