• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dave's Build - Jadgtiger Porsche Production

Now I understand why you said that the tracks were a pain in the b*tt!

But you have to admit that they look impressive.

Ruben

Thanks guys.

Yep the tracks were a test of patience, I think it took about 4 or 5 weeks!

Roman wrote:
Hi Dave,
impressing work over tracks. How many tracks in a caterpillar?

Roman - it took about 94 or so links per side. Now consider that half of those are one piece (You have 94) and the other half are four pieces each (You have 376)…. For a grant total of 470 parts…. Yes the rubber padded room is next :laugh:

dave

Nice work, Saint Dave!! Building those tracks would require the patience of a saint! I could NEVER invest 4-5 WEEKS in one sub assembly! Looks great and glad to see you're making progress!!

Hello again,

After a long time of no activity in this thread I finally found some time to update it. Yes, I am still in the fight, and I have been working on the Jadgtiger all along, just haven’t found time to post any photos.

Anyways, the building process is done!! I am not going to bother with the details as most of them were just hooks and parts that were not modified at all. Here is the model so far.

1-3.jpg

I did add a couple of weld lines and the cable for the Bosch headlight.

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-1.jpg

Next stop, we are off to the paint shop!!

Thanks for checking it out.

dave

I still don't get how yous guys can paint a completed build. Especially one this big. Tell the truth Dave, you just have this test fitted right?

It's great to see your progress, Dave! I'm glad the tracks didn't get the best of you!

moon puppy wrote:
I still don't get how yous guys can paint a completed build. Especially one this big. Tell the truth Dave, you just have this test fitted right?

;) Just test fitted? :laugh: Nope, the only thing I did left out are the outer roadwheels because since they overlap they get in the way. But its surprisingly easier to paint the build completely assembled.

I gotta go now. Need to charge the compressor... fun time!! :laugh:

dave

Dave Diaz wrote:
But its surprisingly easier to paint the build completely assembled.

I agree completely.

In theory, it's much easier to paint a part separately and then attach it, however after a handful of attempts that left me with ugly discolored spots or lifting paint from where the glue attacked the previously laid and weathered paint job, I learned how to assemble as much as possible before breaking out the paints.

I'm not much for big kitty's Dave, but you've done a nice job assembling this one. I wont even begin to tell you what I was thinking when I saw those tracks. You are clearly a better, more patient man then me, that's for sure.

:D

Ken Abrams wrote:
You are clearly a better, more patient man then me, that's for sure.

:D

I surely doubt it, maybe a bit more foolish to give it a try! :laugh:

Its time to continue with this weekend's updates.

The first thing is to give it a thorough coat of black primer. This is very important when you are painting the model all together. It's important that you get as much coverage with the black primer as you can. Later on when you add the color, any spots you may miss will appear to fade into black and mimic shadows.

6-1.jpg

Next I used Vallejo Dark Yellow for an even base coat.

7-1.jpg

The next step was to add a pre-shade to the yellow areas using Vallejo Burnt Umber. I also went and painted the tracks using this color. At this stage I am not too worried about been too precise since the brown will just cause shadows on the yellow.

8-1.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Then I masked the tracks and using Vallejo Dark Cammo Green I added the green bands of the camouflage.

12.jpg

13.jpg

The next step will be to add the red brown bands, but for that you will have to wait until the next update. ;)

dave

Hello again!

As promised here is the application of the brown cammo. I used Vallejo Panzer Brown for the bands and followed the same method as for the green.

1-4.jpg

2-4.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-3.jpg

That's it for now. More to come soon.

Until then

dave

Ohh, this is looking very nice so far! This is one of my favortie subjects, so I can't wait for new pictures of your progress. It's looking awesome so far.

David

I agree, Dave, she's looking awesome! I have not used the Model Air paints yet, but love the Model Colors for brush painting. Are the Model Color paints easy to use?

Thanks David,

I'm having lots of fun with this build. :laugh:

Mike,

The colors are wonderful! Ive been using them straight out of the bottle and they work fantastic. I also use them for brush painting as they have a good thin consistency.

dave

The Model Air stuff is really nice. I wish I had source on more where I can pick up on the fly. I've been tempted to get one of those suitcases full of paint but the price tag scares me.

Really nice progress Dave.

moon puppy wrote:
The Model Air stuff is really nice. I wish I had source on more where I can pick up on the fly. I've been tempted to get one of those suitcases full of paint but the price tag scares me.

Ain't THAT the truth! It took the LHS in Spartanburg over 18 months (and LOADS of suggesting, begging, pleading)to get a full rack of Tamiya acrylics, somehow I don't think I could pull off the Model Air, Model Color, Panzer Aces etc. thing with them. :laugh: My wife would probably frown on the paint suitcase thing, might hand me MY suitcase!

Love where you're going with this, Dave! (y)

Thanks guys!

moon puppy wrote:

I've been quite lucky that my local Hobby shop carries them. The go for $2.75 a bottle which is not bad considering you can get up to 3 models painted with a single bottle (Using Panzer yellow as reference)

Of course the store is on my way home from work so I have to stop several times a week and get a few... :blink Why do we torture ourselves like this??? :laugh:

dave

Ok,

Time for another update. Now that the base colors were done on the Jagdtiger, I gave it a coat of Vallejo Satin Varnish.

After it was dry I began to apply oil washes. First I applied them to the suspension, roadwheels and tracks. The washes really bring out the detail.

1-5.jpg

2-5.jpg

Next, I slowly applied oils to the entire tank. I am going to let it dry for a few days before continuing with the highlights.

3-5.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

That’s it for now. I spent the rest of the weekend sanding an varnishing the wooden base where the Jadgtiger is going to go.

Until next update.

dave

Back