• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DAK with Doc - Next installment

DML Panzer 1 ausf. B ( DAK with Doc)

Next step is an easy one. Take your lightest post shade and add a wee bit more white to it. Then with a brush hit the highest details. Rivets, hinges, top of armored visor flaps, etc.

h4c83d20.JPG

Now its time for some fun!

Get a cup of warm water and an old short bristle brush. Then very carefully start to rub the areas that would see the most wear with the damp brush. BE CAREFUL it is very easy to take off way too much paint!

ha50027a.JPG

Toto, I don't think we're in France anymore. Very cool technique! (y)

12 hour dog watch shift's are not conductive to good modeling :java
To far behind to start an catch up now I think.

Sprayed the hairspray a bit earlier but it's humid as hell so I'll be spraying some desert a bit later ;)

Okay next up for me was a spot gloss coat where I was going to apply some more decals:

hd66770e.JPG

This was followed by a satin coat:

hfebf89a.JPG

I did a quick enamel pin was here as well.

And then some fun, we enhance the HS chipping with both a fine brush and sponge.

https://youtu.be/LFKspYp3e1U

Final Cheeps!
hc6dcd77.JPG

It’s June 1 so...

Everyone should be in primer at this stage. Next step is to apply a base coat of German grey. I am using Tamiya XF-63 diluted with 50% X-20A and a few drops of Tamiya retarder. Take the time to make sure this coat covers well. Generally, I have the psi set to 15 for this type of work.

h8bd2d88.JPG

This can be followed immediately with a post shade layer of the XF-63 mixed with XF-55 Deck tan. Generally, I turn the psi on the line down to 10 for this stage. Good airbrush control is important in this stage. Make sure you stay away from panel lines! Also, hit flat surfaces more than vertical ones. You want to apply color slowly, building up the effect and feathering the edges. A test line sprayed on a piece of paper should be at most 1.5mm wide.

hd8666a8.JPG

This step is immediatly followed by a final post shade by adding XF-2 white to the mix. Psi stays at 10, and maximum spray with is 1mm. Again hit flat surfaces more and feather inside previous post shading.

h13fe742.JPG

hc4fce04_2019-06-01.JPG

As a note I predilute all my Tamiya paints with X-20A 50% when I first open them, by mixing well and then decanting 50% of the volume into a spare bottle, then adding X-20A to restore full volume. So when I say to add XF-55 and XF-2 it is assumed they have already been diluted.

Good luck!
I"m going to attempt this this evening. Not sure I got Deck Tan, would Buff be ok?

Back