• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Corsair F4U-1 white 20 - VMF 213 Guadalcanal 1943

Hello guys

who knows me knows that I deal with military tank of WWII, but occasionally I like to build an airplane, so to learn new techniques.

I decided to build a Corsair F4U-1 in the Tamiya 1/48 scale, in particular the white 20 piloted by 1st Lt. R. Foy Garison (Garrison for other sources) belonging to VMF 213, Guadalcanal 1943.
Is one of the options provided in the kit.
ifbta9.jpg

this is a vintage photo of the subject that I would like to reproduce
t68bbq.jpg

xlfeq1.jpg

I started detailing from the cockpit, with the Eduard's set. I then scratchbuilt some details in interior bulkheads.

5ldu37.jpg

10o0kko.jpg

33yie7t.jpg

For the engine, I decided to take advantage to use the detail from Eduard's set.

b4vm3a.jpg

For the interior, since the F4U-1, I decided to use the Dull Dark Green, using the paint Gunze 302.

zn3m1l.jpg

f3gf8n.jpg

I hope soon to add new pictures.
coming soon
Mike

Most excellent!

That green may be too dark for interior green but I'm sure when you're done with your touches it will be spot on :popcorn

Love those Tamiya Corsair kits. Just remember to fill in that step in the flap on the starboard wing. I think that is all that has to be done to make that into a great kit.

Most excellent!

That green may be too dark for interior green but I'm sure when you're done with your touches it will be spot on :popcorn

I agree with, Bob, that dull green you're using looks too dark, but shouldn't be a problem to lighten it up. Great choice of subject matter & kit, and even better when you have a photo to work to.

Ian

Actually according to this article it might not be to dark. Although I am no expert either.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/05/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part3.htm

Dang, how did I miss that, read that article so many times but I guess I was focused on the bronze green stuff. Thanks for the correction Ryan. :drinks

Here's a bit of info I found on the net. Sorry if it's confusing .

USN Aircraft Interiors: The answers here are complex. Until recently everyone assumed that the interior of all USN WWII aircraft was FS 34151 Interior Green. This is not always the case as is obvious from the Accurate Miniatures, TBF/TBM Avenger instruction sheet. Mr. Larry Webster an aviation archeologist and airplane restorer has extensive knowledge in this area. In addition to being a friend of mine Mr. Webster has many original parts from WWII USN aircraft to document his conclusions. Additionally he is a director at the Quonset Air Museum and is a volunteer with the New England Air Museum. Here is some help on this subject with all credit to Larry Webster.

Credit must also go to Dana Bell, author and friend for his help in this area. His article in the October 1997 FineScale Modeler magazine should be required reading. His 3 volume set Air Force Colors contains some useful info.

F4U-1 Birdcage, Corsair. Cockpit: Well this is tricky. The best evidence is black. Photos of F4U-1s taken at the time show the cockpits as being a very dark color. The F4U-1 E & M manual calls for Dull Dark Green. Photos and some wrecks show flat black. A photo of 'Pappy" Boyington in Bruce Gamble's book, The Black Sheep, shows him sitting in a Birdcage with a black armor plate and upper seat. This a/c also has no headrest. All other areas of the F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair would normally be 'Salmon'. Salmon is a pale pinkish/brown primer made by mixing Indian Red pigment with Zinc Chromate Yellow. The closest Munsell match is 2.5 YR 6/8 or between FS 32276 and FS 32356. This color was applied to the whole F4U before the final camouflage finish. The landing gear bays were this color. The insides of the main gear doors were Light Gray. Sometimes this was only over spray over the Salmon. Note: there were canvas covers on the inner and outer wheel bays that were either Olive Drab or Light Gray. The closest paint that I have found to the Salmon samples in my possession is PollyScale Railroad, Southern Pacific Daylight Orange. The E & M manual calls for the wheel bays, engine cowling and accessory cowlings to be painted in Non-Specular Light Gray to match the underside of the aircraft. Recovered wrecks show these areas to be Salmon however. Color photos of early Corsairs show the cowling interior to be Non-Specular Light Gray.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Guys
thank you for comments!!

Love those Tamiya Corsair kits. Just remember to fill in that step in the flap on the starboard wing. I think that is all that has to be done to make that into a great kit.

Hi nerdling, Do you write to me more details of your suggest?
Thank you.

For the too dark problem, I have read some note for interiors of US Navy airplane, equally at the note post from Christian, and my interpretation it's this, but I will paint some details in light green for more contrast. What do you think?

Your comments are very valuable for me!
(y)
Suggestions are welcome!

ciao
Mike

Hi Guys
thank you for comments!!

Thank you.

For the too dark problem, I have read some note for interiors of US Navy airplane, equally at the note post from Christian, and my interpretation it's this, but I will paint some details in light green for more contrast. What do you think?

(y)
Suggestions are welcome!

ciao
Mike

Mike if you notice. Parts B14 and B17 have a small square cut out of them. That was actually a step that was added in post war. The fix is very easy. When I built mine all I did was glued some thin plastic card between the two pieces right in that spot. The plastic was used as a backing for putty later on. After I had the two pieces glued together I then used putty and filled the step in. Let it dry and sand it smooth and there you go.

Hi Guys
thank you for comments!!

Thank you.

(y)
Suggestions are welcome!

ciao
Mike

Mike if you notice. Parts B14 and B17 have a small square cut out of them. That was actually a step that was added in post war. The fix is very easy. When I built mine all I did was glued some thin plastic card between the two pieces right in that spot. The plastic was used as a backing for putty later on. After I had the two pieces glued together I then used putty and filled the step in. Let it dry and sand it smooth and there you go.

Thank you Nerdling
this post is very important. I will make your suggest!

Back