• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Call to Arms: The Duke's Leopold Rail Gun in 1/72

Thanks Paul! Yeah, this is quite the gun alright! I plan on doing the sand/brown combo on it for more interest. I have a grey gun (Dora) and a couple Morser Karls in three-tone so this will make a nice variation to the collection.

Hey Duke,
progress is looking good :good:
Any chance of seeing a photo of all artillery models together ? It would be great to see the scale comparisons if they are all 1/72 and besides I love large artillery models and your collection would be fascinating in a clear photo or 2??
:coolio

Ian.

Thanks Paul! Yeah, this is quite the gun alright! I plan on doing the sand/brown combo on it for more interest. I have a grey gun (Dora) and a couple Morser Karls in three-tone so this will make a nice variation to the collection.

Hey Duke,
progress is looking good :good:
Any chance of seeing a photo of all artillery models together ? It would be great to see the scale comparisons if they are all 1/72 and besides I love large artillery models and your collection would be fascinating in a clear photo or 2??
:coolio

Ian.

I can try to do that but which guns in particular do you want to see? I have something in the neighborhood of 60+ guns from many countries ranging from the British 2-pounder all the way up to Dora.

As it is, in February, I'm planning on taking all my small scale vehicles down to a friend's hall and set them all up to get pics of the entire collection of 700 completed models in several group shots anyway. Since they are all in 1/72 scale, you should see all the comparisons of everything. Of course, this will be one massive pic that won't necessarily be that clear, but I'm going to do the best I can to make it so. I'm also going to blow those puppies up to allow anyone to zoom in and see everything. I just hope that I can find a site that would allow me to upload such large pics to hotlink elsewhere.

Anyway, I could try to get some comparison shots of my bigger artillery when that time comes.

Okay, here's a quick update in this gun.

I finished adding all the last detail parts on my Leopold rail gun. This is now ready for paint. I'll add the railings afterward when this is done so I don't break them all:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XII.jpg

Here it is with the first coat of paint:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XIII.jpg

Tomorrow I will mask off the red-brown spots now and then shoot the dunlegelb.

Stay tuned....

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

Centaur, yes, this one is at Aberdeen. I had a friend who posted pics of this gun way back when in the LEM when it was young. I'm still building mine OOB and hope to be done with it fairly soon. Then I'll have to update my self on weathering trains....

In an attempt to finish this before the New Year; I marathoned this model as much as I could these past couple days, but.... I'm out of time. On New Year's Eve I have too much going on to do anything on the bench so this will have to wait till the New Year.

I took a lot of time masking off the Leopold rain gun. That took quite a lot of time adding all these little splotches of Silly Putty. I did the main gun first since there was so much to do:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XV.jpg

Next I added the Silly Putty to the rail cars and generator shed:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XVI.jpg

Finally, I shot about a bottle of Panzer Dunklegelb all over this model:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XVII.jpg

Gee, all that work for ten minutes of spraying! Wow, I guess that's how it goes...

Finally, when it was all dry, I pulled off the Silly Putty again. Gotta love Silly Putty:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XVIII.jpg

Finally, this beastie got his decals:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XX.jpg

There's still a lot to do on this one too. Not to mention, I need to review how to weather one of these somewhat.

Okay, that's all I can do on this for this year. Stay tuned next year for the completion of this model.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks guys! I appreciate that!

Lawrence, this puppy is huge! I have a tough time keeping it on my workbench! I can't wait to get it done!

Back