• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Building the first Tiger Ausf. H1 V1 as 3D printed RFM conversion

Kai

Hello Modelers,
I'm currently working on the V1 prototype for the Tiger tank. It had some unique features not available as injection molded solution.
Researching this vehicle I came across this website: https://www.panzerbasics.com/panzer/01_basics/01_Tiger_E/vorpanzer.htm and the subsequently published drawings, both there and in the Book by "The research squad" on chassis 31.

Otherwise worth reading or this project:
DW to Tiger I, Jentz
...Tiger und seine Abarten, Spielberger
Tiger I Sturmtiger in detail, Culver & Feist - yeah that suprised me as well ; )

The base for the conversion was Rye Field Models models first Post-Initial Tiger #5001, however, the better choice would have been #5075 (Eastern Front Inital). #5075 includes a better suited deck, rear wall and hull sides along with some other overall improvements - so I had to print a lot of small parts, backdating my kit... These Tunisian Initials are are chassis 10 up, while #5075 covers 1 to 9, decals aside...
asdasdfasfasf.png

I matched the drawing together with the other data from Jentz, Spielberger and Tiger1.info and got some more help from Adam Mann with his digital 1:1 Tiger.
H1V1-10.jpg

The whole conversion printed and matched to the kit was all in very promising. Of course the Vorpanzer is workable. Tracks and Initial style road wheels are my design as well, correcting the kit and being more easy to use when it comes to the tracks.
H1V1-204.jpg

Today the first pass of the base coat was sparyed: Tamiya Black -> Hull red -> Hull red + red to build up the underlayer and AK Real Color 67 for the chassis and 66 for the turret to give it its final appearance.

Here is where I can catch up with being in a forum and take some more pictures of the weathering progress down the road. Please excuse the watermarks, these images were not yet taken with posting them inside a forum yet.

Last edited:
Otherwise worth reading or this project:
DW to Tiger I, Jentz
...Tiger und seine Abarten, Spielberger
Tiger I Sturmtiger in detail, Culver & Feist - yeah that suprised me as well ; )

@Kai you shouldn't be surprised as photo content is always of interest. The only time it is necessary to rely on 'primary documentation' would be nomenclature (designations, suggestive names, troop nicknames), production date/features, unit allocation/disposition, and other details to prevent speculation on the part of the author. However, unretouched photographs are 'golden' and should be amassed. ;)

Nice work on the Vorpanzer, did you make the files available?

Regards,

Fantastic. This is one I am very interested in doing.
Saul I believe these files are available still on Kai's Patreon.
James

Saul I believe these files are available still on Kai's Patreon.
Thanks James. Only one Tiger actually interests me, the snake head one.

Tiger I 0215mm tiger640px.jpg
Tiger I snake head.jpg

I sadly have a lot of Tigers (getting rid of most) but plan to keep one each for those that were exported (Hungary), or captured (Tiger 100 as part of the Mammut family) and used (Free French as an example).

Hungarian:
!hungtig_301.jpg
!hungtig_301_1.jpg
!hungtig_332_2.jpg
!hungtig_332_3.jpg
!hungtig_v22_2.jpg
!hungtig_v22_3.jpg

Tiger 100 (captured by Russians and I have the DML initial kit for it):
02454.jpg

French:

AFV Club kit is perfect for this one:
!Frenchcolmar_1.jpeg
!Frenchbrieux.jpeg
!Frenchcolmar_2.jpeg

Regards,

Last edited:
Tiger 100 (captured by Russians and I have the DML initial kit for it):
02454.jpg
This Abt. 502 Tiger 100, Chassis 6 I can help with. This is RFM 5075, Dragon is about equal in Resin parts needed. RFM has an almost full interior turret included, havn't finished it yet. Dragon 6252 I've build into chassis 2 (111, Abt.502) actually a lot to alter, these old Dragon kit do sit too low, rest is swaping parts for prints.
Tiger 100-12.jpg

This Abt. 502 Tiger 100, Chassis 6 I can help with. This is RFM 5075, Dragon is about equal in Resin parts needed. RFM has an almost full interior turret included, havn't finished it yet. Dragon 6252 I've build into chassis 2 (111, Abt.502) actually a lot to alter, these old Dragon kit do sit too low, rest is swaping parts for prints.

Thanks. My issue is that I do not want to keep buying more kits. I do have the first RFM release (with full interior and TMD correction parts). I also have three Academy Tiger I, not sure how many from Dragon (probably 6), two from AFV Club, and two from Tamiya. In other words, too many for what I plan. ;)

Regards,

Back