• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Brass Half Track

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I've picked my shelf queen. The long suffering Lion's Roar M2A1 US Halftrack. I've forgotten how long it's been since I started this thing. According to the date on my website it has Feb 2007, but I think that's when I put up the gallery there.
Here's the link to that gallery. http://www.brittsbytes.com/halftrack/index.htm?0_M

The images are a bit out of order but you get the picture. I don't recall where the original build blog is, think Planet Armor has the most complete blog.
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5689

So as we left it last time any update was done, this is what we have.

M2A1041900.jpg

Pretty bad paint job I think, hope you all can help out and tell me what I need to do to correct what I have done. there's so many layers of different things here I think it's lost.

The obvious thing I need to do is get something on the winch. I played with several types of cable and settled on this.

M2A1207.jpg

Here's an overview of what it looks like.
M2A1208.jpg

Now we'll do a walk around of what I got done today. Added the mines on the mine racks.

M2A1209.jpg

I did a gunbolt drybrush on the HMG and I think that helped it out greatly.

M2A1210.jpg

And yes, Sea Hag is still checking things out...

M2A1211.jpg

I'm up for any suggestions to bring this paint job back to life. I know I really over did things when I did this originally.

second that (or triple.. :hmmm )
would be nice to see an OD vehicle with whitewash :geek
//Mats

Last episode of Downton Abby tomorrow night...then i'll be FREE!!! :mpup

Don't snag yer slip on the way to the garage. :laugh:

:blink Real comfortable behind that keyboard huh big boy??

:kiss: :woohoo: :woohoo:

OK, y'all got me to go down that road so here we are.

M2A1212.jpg

Vallejo Chipping juice, Cindy doesn't use hair spray so I gotta use what I got.

M2A1213.jpg

Used Vallejo Off White for the white wash. Cracked in a couple of spots, guess I went thick in places. I know if I were trying to do that, I couldn't do it but there it is.

M2A1214.jpg

And a little scrubbing with wet brush...

M2A1215.jpg

M2A1216.jpg

M2A1217.jpg

Now, the other day I was looking over Google Images at M1A1 and I saw something very cool. Some G.I.s had installed what looked like a home made stove strapped to the back wall of the fighting compartment. There was a tilt installed over the front section and rolled forward maybe half way. Think that's the direction I"m going with this.

So, I hit the resin stash and found various kitchen stuff and cans. See, I figure some of these GIs would have been old school railroad bums also, guys who road the rails back in the 30s so they would know how to make a makeshift stove. Well here's where I'm at. :soldier

M2A1218.jpg

So y'all got me to spray white all over the place, talk to me how to make this look good! :D

That stove really turned out well! You going to wash off more whitewash or are you good where you are? That brass bucket would work somewhere in there too, if you can pry it away from the ol' lady. :laugh:

Looks good. Now apply some very thin oil paint around the edges of the chips and tighten up the opacity in any areas you feel need it. Then maybe a grey filter followed by pin washes, streaking and such.

Back